Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I scanned for over-revs... here are results, what u guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Maybe it's not the correct word to use - momentum - but I don't see how the rev limiter can stop the engine at exactly the defined rpm limit when you are moving through the gears in a spirited manner. Not that I would try this, but if you reved the engine by blipping the throttle while stationary, would the rev limiter stop the engine at exactly 7,200 (if that were the limit)? I think not so if it goes to 7,205 you would record a range 1 over-rev. Sorry i didn't pay attention in physics class and even if i did it was so long ago that i don't remember anything anyway.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
The point is not to buy a Porsche under warranty with any Rev 5s or 6s, and consider 4s as gray area... 1s/2s/3s are okay, though high numbers in 1s and 2s may show abuse...

-B
What if the dealer CPO'd the car with range 4 and 5 readings and disclosed the readings prior to sale?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Not so sure how an engine can speed up by "momentum". Momentum is the description of an object in motion to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside source. It takes power to make the engine rotate and more power is required to make it rotate faster. If the rev limiter cuts the power at X RPMs than the "momentum" RPMs would remain at X until friction slows it down. If you throw a ball straight up in the air its V max will be the instant it leaves your hand. Ball will accelerate only from the start of the throw until you release it. How far it travels up will be a function of its final V, but it will not go any faster than the release point.
Bad example. the clutch disconnects the gearbox from the engine so all of a sudden the engine has nothing to work against and therefore speeds up for a very short time. If you watch an off shore boat race, every time the propellers get out of the water (nothing fighting vs the engine) the throttle man has to cut the throttles off or else the engine would increase revs and break. Same concept here except it's not water
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
Bad example. the clutch disconnects the gearbox from the engine so all of a sudden the engine has nothing to work against and therefore speeds up for a very short time. If you watch an off shore boat race, every time the propellers get out of the water (nothing fighting vs the engine) the throttle man has to cut the throttles off or else the engine would increase revs and break. Same concept here except it's not water
Confusion between acceleration and momentum. Throttle man cuts power so drive train does not get massive shock load. Nothing to do with over rev and I highly doubt that a modern marine engine would NOT have a rev limiter to protect the engine.

It takes power to accelerate to a given speed/rpm. Acceleration, weather radial as in RPMs increase or linear as in a launch, requires power. Remove power and acceleration stops. Load on the engine has nothing to do with it. Settings of the rev limiter have EVERYTHING to do with it.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What if the dealer CPO'd the car with range 4 and 5 readings and disclosed the readings prior to sale?
Brilliant point... The problem is the subjectivity of this issue. I would imagine that the selling dealership would be more inclined to honor the CPO that they "certified" than a dealer out of geography who has a different Porsche zone rep approving warranty work.

I asked your very question to the local service manager of the car I noted in my earlier post. His response was that even though the car was CPOd by another dealership, he was confident the Porsche rep would refuse a major warranty claim (engine) as he had seen this happen before. I pressed him on that point - citing that the DME indicated abouse prior to the CPO date, and that the car should not have been CPOd. His response - "these things happen, this is not an exact science"...

Caveat emptor....

-B
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Blake. What do the numbers correspond to? Being a bit thick today.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

In other words, "this particular CPO policy may or may not include coverage for catastrophic engine failure".
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Brilliant point... The problem is the subjectivity of this issue. I would imagine that the selling dealership would be more inclined to honor the CPO that they "certified" than a dealer out of geography who has a different Porsche zone rep approving warranty work.

I asked your very question to the local service manager of the car I noted in my earlier post. His response was that even though the car was CPOd by another dealership, he was confident the Porsche rep would refuse a major warranty claim (engine) as he had seen this happen before. I pressed him on that point - citing that the DME indicated abouse prior to the CPO date, and that the car should not have been CPOd. His response - "these things happen, this is not an exact science"...

Caveat emptor....

-B
Could very well be the case, I will run it again to check the time of each and see if it's before CPO Date.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Thanks Blake. What do the numbers correspond to? Being a bit thick today.
A 997-1 DME records the the number of ignitions in following rev ranges:

Range 1: 7300-7500 RPM
Range 2: 7500-7700 RPM
Range 3: 7700-7900 RPM
Range 4: 7900-8400 RPM
Range 5: 8400-9500 RPM
Range 6: 9500-11000 RPM

At 7200 RPM you have 120 revs per second X 3 ignitions per revolution or 360 ignitions per second.

Let's assume a car has the following time in each rev range, assuming the midpoint of each range as the actual RPM.

Range 1 - 3,603 ignitions / 370 per second = 9.74 seconds
Range 2 - 407 ignitions / 380 per second = 1.07 seconds
Range 3 - 36 ignitions / 390 per second = 0.09 seconds

As has been stated earlier, ranges 1 - 3 should not cause you any problems with engine damage or with the warranty. Range 4 gets into the gray area, but revs in Ranges 5 and 6 are red flags for the potential to have the engine warranty voided by Porsche.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tim. If the higher revs are so bad, why isn't there some sort of gov to stop that?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim. If the higher revs are so bad, why isn't there some sort of gov to stop that?
There is a rev limiter but it won't prevent mechanical over-revs caused by a missed shift.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd imagine the engine revs faster, than the actual needle shows on the dial too. In other words, the dial lags the actual revs logged.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

When I last spoke with someone at PCNA I was told that it was not possible to damage the engine with the throttle. Cannot prevent a blown shift though.
I think it may be possible to make some sort of robo gate thingy that would prevent a downshift if revs are wrong. Prob open a can of worms that would lead to all sorts of bad things.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a rev limiter but it won't prevent mechanical over-revs caused by a missed shift.
As jhbrennan stated, there is a rev limiter which automatically cust the fuel feed to the engine when you hit red line at 7,200 RPM. However, that does not stop the engine immediately (just as hitting the brakes won't stop you immediately) and will exceed 7,200 RPS. That is when the DME records the number of ignitions in that particular rev range and the time (stated in engine hours) in which the last ignition occurred in that rev range.

If you miss a shift (going from 5 to 2 instead of 4) the transmission will cause the revs to go beyond red line. That is called a "money shift" because if the engine revs high enough, it could cause severe damage the the valves, pistons and valve shafts, resulting in a lot of $$$$ to repair.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tim

I do believe your analogy is flawed.
When you brake at no time does your speed INCREASE. You could correctly say that your engine would not STOP immediately when fuel is cut, but increase in RPM??
Can you point me in the direction of the physics behind an engine continuing to increase in RPM after fuel has been cut?

Thanks

Quick Reply: I scanned for over-revs... here are results, what u guys think?