Sponsored by:

PDK Heat from Console

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK Heat from Console

Have a Turbo S Cab took my son to get pizza about 60 mile round trip to our fav pizza joint. On way home felt heat coming up thru cab up and down buttons nothing extremely hot but enough to get my attention. I would say at least 110 degrees most of the drive was on I 40. Is this normal? It is hot here in Memphis about 98 today. Car has 1800 miles on it I have never noticed this before.
All the temp gauges and oil pressure was fine the car is shifting fine the only odd thing I have noticed has been when cold in sport mode sometimes the downshift to 1rst can be little hard?

Has anyone noticed this from their PDK
Old 06-10-2011, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Have a Turbo S Cab took my son to get pizza about 60 mile round trip to our fav pizza joint. On way home felt heat coming up thru cab up and down buttons nothing extremely hot but enough to get my attention. I would say at least 110 degrees most of the drive was on I 40. Is this normal? It is hot here in Memphis about 98 today. Car has 1800 miles on it I have never noticed this before.
All the temp gauges and oil pressure was fine the car is shifting fine the only odd thing I have noticed has been when cold in sport mode sometimes the downshift to 1rst can be little hard?

Can't comment on the heat through the cab up & down buttons but the jerky 2nd to 1st PDK shift in sport is pretty well documented as "normal" I think.....warm or cold. 60 miles for pizza? Good stuff obviously. Me... whenever I get back to Memphis, some leisure time in the Peabody lobby bar and then across the street and down the basement for ribs works just right.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325

Console heat is not tranny-related. There are several heat radiating elements channeled through the console, namely radiator hoses, and especially in a 4WD with the torque-split clutch.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Can't comment on the heat through the cab up & down buttons but the jerky 2nd to 1st PDK shift in sport is pretty well documented as "normal"
I never get 2nd-to-1st jerk, even though I can induce it, if I brake limo-style. That is simply due to the higher torque/compression step when a 1st gear is called for, when the car slows down on a very slow braking profile, and that shift dominates the braking. The same can also happen on a manual 2nd-to-1st if driven the same way.

PAG could easily eliminate that 'jerk' by further slipping the clutch, but I hope they refrain from doing it, as these are sports cars, not limos, at least not yet.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I bet that heat is not from the PDK tranny...the PDK tranny is located behind ouy and about under the rear seats.

In Sport mode the 2nd to 1st jerk comes because you are crawling to a stop. If you wait and brake a little later and slightly harder it will shift down perfectly smooth. Sport mode is for sport driving and not gentle cruising.

Enjoy that Turbo S Cab.....awesome street car. I miss traveling to Memphis for some Central BBQ...my favorite BBQ place
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of climate control setting(s) HOT engine coolant is ALWAYS flowing through the heater core. You can eliminate the heat and improve the A/C efficiency rather dramatically, AND improve FE somewhat, by going to home depot and buying/installing a manual water flow shutoff valve and stop the flow throughout the summer season.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WWest- do you have documentation or how-to's on this? Sounds like a practical mod for just about everyone.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Can't comment on the heat through the cab up & down buttons but the jerky 2nd to 1st PDK shift in sport is pretty well documented as "normal" I think.....warm or cold. 60 miles for pizza? Good stuff obviously. Me... whenever I get back to Memphis, some leisure time in the Peabody lobby bar and then across the street and down the basement for ribs works just right.
There is nothing like going downstairs at the Rendzv and having Robert serve you a big slab of Ribs and Pitcher of beer to wash it down

Good to know it's not the tranny. I never felt this in my Targa just assumed it was related to the PDK. Car was not running hot.

Never cruise in Sport the hard shift is happening when having to come to a quick sudden stop.

Central Bbq is good but there are so many good Bbq places here in Memphis hard to pick the best. I live 3 miles from Bozo's not to shabby for country folks.

60 miles for pizza yes it is worth the drive and it was Bbq pizza to boot
Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

+10,000 Rendezvous ribs.

Quick Reply: PDK Heat from Console