Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM 3.0, SAT, Ipod and BT - Porsche behind the curve?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

I think that the way you use your car influences how you view the AV system in the car. My car is a daily driver, so I use it for fun as well as for boring drives to the airport. When I'm sitting in traffic on I-70, it's nice to have a good sound system. It would be nice to have a nav system with automatic re-routing to avoid traffic. When I'm driving on a curvy road in the mountains with the top down, then my sound system is typically turned off.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:16 PM
billp16
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with your comments. I have an '08 997 CS2, but to solve the issue of feeling the need for music, I had the dealer install the $800 interface (!?!) that allows me to plug in my iPhone. With the Pandora app, I have better music options that Sirius/XM.
But I must admit I hardly ever use it. Driving the car is not so much about chilling out on a highway listening to music, but rather focused on driving. For a long trip, though, it is nice to have music.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think that the way you use your car influences how you view the AV system in the car. My car is a daily driver, so I use it for fun as well as for boring drives to the airport. When I'm sitting in traffic on I-70, it's nice to have a good sound system. It would be nice to have a nav system with automatic re-routing to avoid traffic. When I'm driving on a curvy road in the mountains with the top down, then my sound system is typically turned off.
+ 1 except for torching the C4S top from the rest of the car, but even when I'm listening to music or having to talk with a customer on the phone, I still go low on the volume from time to time just to check and enjoy the sounds of the car itself. Having Waze pop up on the speakers with warnings is my real concern. The car truly has multiple personalities and ways to use it. And kudos to those who want to improve any of those ways. I'm not inclined to leave the 997 at home unless I'm hauling loads that simply won't fit in it, in which case I reluctantly remove the truck key from my pocket. Had to do that this weekend as I have a ton of stone, pool heater, and wet saw to bring back from my daughter's. I am missing my real ride!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I just started using Waze in the last month. It's really nice! I was shocked recently when driving in the mountains and Waze warned me about animals in the road ahead. Sure enough, there was a group of mountain goats right on the shoulder!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Ha! Yes this is true...but on those long trips...man no Sat radio is just painful! LOL But the A7 is nicely filling the vacum left by the M3!
Really? You can fit about 12 hrs of recorded MP3s on a single 2-layer DVD you can burn at home... that would be plenty for a road trip. Given you can store 3 of them in the car (2 in the glove box and one in the player) you should have 'emergency tunes' for when one is on the road.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

I agree that Porsche is very slow to adopt the latest electronics features that are not related to the drivetrain. Sometimes that can be a good thing - no point in building a car with technology that turns out to be out and done 2 years later. That said, we have the olde 30-pin iDock connector cables... I still blame that on apple.

It does seem very odd that Porsche expends so much technology preventing owners from adding things to their car post-build in the aftermarket, and simultaneously makes it impossible to add things easily via the dealer network with codes and plug-in hardware modules.

For adding SAT radio, I can only assume the discussion went along the lines of: adding the sat antenna after build will be either ugly, difficult to wire, or produce bad reception, so lets just not allow it. A shame really, because it takes away that choice from the owner. Sure the SAT antenna under the wiper cowling gets worse signal, than on the forehead (targa) or rear hatch trim, but that should be MY choice, right?

Some things though really make no sense. No A2DP BT steaming enabled - thats software decisions (assuming they didn't just build in the slowest processors into the BT module known to man).. .so enabling that feature with a firmware flash should be doable. But as I've experienced with electronics makers across the board (Verizon for phones, Sony for TV and stereo gear, etc) - they often will only produce firmware updates to fix known big issues in the product when it doesn't do the features it was sold with. They never add new features from what have seen.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I just started using Waze in the last month. It's really nice! I was shocked recently when driving in the mountains and Waze warned me about animals in the road ahead. Sure enough, there was a group of mountain goats right on the shoulder!
That is one of the great features of waze, but it relies on prior drivers having entered that data... so the ability to enter that data via VOICE is critical.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

You can enter data via voice...

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM 3.0, SAT, Ipod and BT - Porsche behind the curve?