Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough drive at low speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011 | 10:36 AM
mousecrab
Instructor

Default Rough drive at low speed?

Want to get some feedback on this topic.
Started driving my 06 2S yesterday and I noticed a few times in 1st and 2nd where the car is going at low speed (under 30 KM) the car jecked a bit.
First time I noticed was in heavy traffic so really stop and go. The second time was just cruising around.
Is this an issue?
Thanks!
Tim
Old 06-01-2011 | 10:47 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

it's not often by any means, but the only times ive noticed that is on start up/cold AND when rpm's are low (i.e. "bogging down" etc). otherwise, i dont have the issue.
Old 06-01-2011 | 11:13 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Mine does something similar and I've just come to live with it. My thoughts are that we are driving a car with a racing engine that will have a cam shaft designed more for high revs. At low revs it putts a bit. Try keeping your revs high and see what happens. Just a thought... No real justified opinion but if you say it with enough confidence someone will believe you!
Old 06-01-2011 | 12:04 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Mine does something similar and I've just come to live with it. My thoughts are that we are driving a car with a racing engine that will have a cam shaft designed more for high revs. At low revs it putts a bit. Try keeping your revs high and see what happens. Just a thought... No real justified opinion but if you say it with enough confidence someone will believe you!
That's what I'm telling myself for now. I told my wife 'come on it's not a civic dx'
Old 06-01-2011 | 02:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Actually, these newer engines are not designed around higher RPMs at all. They are designed not to do that sort of thing. With the higher displacement and inherent torque that provides, many today are 'lugging' their engines in territory we would never have dreamt of going with a 911 engine 20 years ago!

In years past coming on the cam at 4000 rpm meant that you drove in such a way that you exploited the engine performance on the higher end (4000 and up) but with the newer engines you can actually drive them (without too much load) even slightly below 2000 rpms. They should not give you that sort of behavior so long as the demand or load is not too high at those lower rpms. My suspicion is that you are not driving it aggressively enough when the time calls for it, and you are gumming it up with carbon. Don't forget to wind these engines up occasionally. That's why they are built this way. (In other words, don't be shifting to the next higher gear at 4000 rpms!)
Old 06-01-2011 | 05:10 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Ditto. Let him WAIL...
Old 06-01-2011 | 05:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Actually, these newer engines are not designed around higher RPMs at all. They are designed not to do that sort of thing. With the higher displacement and inherent torque that provides, many today are 'lugging' their engines in territory we would never have dreamt of going with a 911 engine 20 years ago!

In years past coming on the cam at 4000 rpm meant that you drove in such a way that you exploited the engine performance on the higher end (4000 and up) but with the newer engines you can actually drive them (without too much load) even slightly below 2000 rpms. They should not give you that sort of behavior so long as the demand or load is not too high at those lower rpms. My suspicion is that you are not driving it aggressively enough when the time calls for it, and you are gumming it up with carbon. Don't forget to wind these engines up occasionally. That's why they are built this way. (In other words, don't be shifting to the next higher gear at 4000 rpms!)
Listen to Dan! If a 997 hesitates at low speeds it's most like being lugged.
Old 06-01-2011 | 05:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by mousecrab
Want to get some feedback on this topic.
Started driving my 06 2S yesterday and I noticed a few times in 1st and 2nd where the car is going at low speed (under 30 KM) the car jecked a bit.
First time I noticed was in heavy traffic so really stop and go. The second time was just cruising around.
Is this an issue?
Thanks!
Tim

Tip, or....;.
Old 06-01-2011 | 05:46 PM
winkingchef
Pro

At home, we call this the "Italian tune-up".
Old 06-01-2011 | 06:36 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by winkingchef
At home, we call this the "Italian tune-up".
Got to find a cop-less open road for an Italian tune-up.
Old 06-01-2011 | 06:36 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwest
Tip, or....;.
6 speed.
Old 06-01-2011 | 07:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mousecrab
6 speed.
Sport mode on or off? Sometimes get "jerky" response when it's on.
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:10 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sport mode on or off? Sometimes get "jerky" response when it's on.
I don't have sport chrono
I tried to get it pass 4000 rpm this morning but there was just too much traffic.
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

If you are hesitant to hit the speeds found when you are above 4000 rpm then you are certainly shifting too soon. Stay in the lower gears longer. You don't have to break any speed laws in the USA to be able to hit 6 grand with these engines. That, alone, tells me that today's 911 drivers need to learn more about how to work with the motors they have.
Old 06-02-2011 | 12:56 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you are hesitant to hit the speeds found when you are above 4000 rpm then you are certainly shifting too soon. Stay in the lower gears longer. You don't have to break any speed laws in the USA to be able to hit 6 grand with these engines. That, alone, tells me that today's 911 drivers need to learn more about how to work with the motors they have.
Actually, that's an interesting point that I've often thought about while motoring in heavy traffic with my manual tranny.

It is often my habit to cruise along in 2nd or 3rd at higher RPMs, particularly if I know I'm going to be making one or two short drives that day. I'll even slow a bit to create a gap, allowing me to rubber-band in traffic and get the RPMs well up in the range.

I've always done this with my 911s over the years and it was probably even more important with the air-cooled engines of the past.

I rarely get into 5th or even 4th around town which is certainly defeating to fuel economy. I can see how the PDK cars would have a huge advantage in this regard and the probable default behaviour is to leave these cars in "auto" mode.

I wonder if that default behaviour will result in less engine longevity in the PDK cars...

Quick Reply: Rough drive at low speed?