Sponsored by:

Sonoma/Napa Hotels

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
We enjoyed the Vintage Inn in Yountville http://vintageinn.com/ . If you get those reservations at The French Laundry it's almost just across the street.
Checked their website, like the location, thanks.

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Calistoga Ranch. I've never stayed there or heard good or bad things about it. It's very, very high end. At the top end of Napa but close to many (also high end) wineries (Montelena, Shafer, Phelps, etc., etc.,) BTW, the weather hasn't been that great here either!
Booked there for 2 days on way down, thanks for the tip. Looking forward to it

Originally Posted by zanwar
Our absolute favourite place in Napa
www.thecarnerosinn.com
Will take a look on the way through. Thanks. Website looks great!

Originally Posted by csorrows
Crap, I didn't know that. I'd given up on ever going to the French Laundry because I'm too lazy to keep calling for reservations, or calling months in advance.

Time to make those Amex concierges earn that ridiculous yearly fee. I've never used them before for anything, but they're getting a call now, LOL.
Yes, thanks for the tip, keep forgetting about and underutilizing those amex folk, they have come through. Still not worth fee...

Originally Posted by cello
Re stays the old guard still have the goods... Auberge du Soleil http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/ & Meadowood http://www.meadowood.com/ .. Of the two we prefer AdS as its kids free. Another really nice spot is the Poetry Inn at the Cliff Lede vineyards http://www.poetryinn.com/ - quiet and tranquil. Calistoga Ranch is a very good rec too. Lots of good choices there. Any of these places should be able to get you the FL res if given enough time to do so

Re FL, if doing it yourself the secret is to call one-half hour before the formal opening for taking reservations for the night you request (I think it is 30 days to the day in advance - my wife wld know). But I would rec starting with the first night staying over, put the number on speed dial, and keep trying. Since TKeller now has Per Se, and splits his time, its worth asking if he will be there. Do take the kitchen/garden tour as well.

Plan some runs for the car too - the roads crossing from Sonoma to Napa, and visa versa, are fun!
Yes, I have stayed at AdS, will do again. Last GF had a tiff with concierge, come to think of it - that makes it that much better. Poetry Inn looks very cool, will definitely put that on my list. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Macster
Couple of years ago I stayed at the Double Tree Hotel in Sonoma.

Nice facility and nice restaurant.

I do not partake of sun and pool activities, so I can't say anything about what these are like there.

As for the wine... I had some wine with dinner but I can't remember what I had but I don't recall not liking it. No matter. In that area of CA if you don't like one wine there are about a zillion you will like.

Oh, you might want to know that spring seems reluctant to cooperate here in northern CA. We have had some cool, breezy days with rain (mainly in the north bay where you'll be staying).

Still, unless you visit the Lake Tahoe area or the ski areas no snow or ice.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Good point, weather map shows SF pretty much same weather as Vancouver, OK - just going to pass through on the way to Palm Springs.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Since I live in the Napa/Sonoma area I don't have occasion to stay at any of the resorts/hotels. Still +1 to Macster's comment about the weather; we're having a very cool spring. Memorial Day and it's 60 deg and breezy with rain showers possible for the next couple of days. 70's (maybe) by the weekend. purrybonker, don't know when you're planning on visitiing but be forewarned. Still, it's probably more temperate than Vancouver.
Yeah, coming down tomorrow - May 31st. Thanks to your remarks and Macster I think I'll do a quick couple of days and carry on to Palm Springs - catch some real sun. Weather map has SF with pretty much identical weather to Vancouver. Spring really sucks on the west coast this year!

Thanks all!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

F hotels.
Stay at someone's cottage!
www.airbnb.com

I've stayed here (too far south unless you're thinking to go to Paso Robles)
http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8357
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
F hotels.
Stay at someone's cottage!
www.airbnb.com

I've stayed here (too far south unless you're thinking to go to Paso Robles)
http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8357
Geez - I know bnbs are all the rage (or is it over already?), but F staying at someone's place - bad enough when I have to visit family. Thanks for the idea but somehow I have a dislike for bnb'ing unless it's Europe and that's a different sort of thing for the most part.

I did stay at one very highend bnb years ago on the west coast and caught a case of bedbugs. That's way before they (bed bugs) became popular.

Anyway, notwithstanding vermin, or shifting the vermin focus; how do you discretely roll into a bnb at 2AM with an armload of bar pickups and maybe a tranny hooker or two (someone has to help keep that armload entertained)?

Naw, I'll stick with hotels.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan of hotels or bnbs, we always rent a house when on vacation. vrbo.com being one our resources for finding those.

Quick Reply: Sonoma/Napa Hotels