Sponsored by:

Sonoma/Napa Hotels

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:32 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonoma/Napa Hotels

Spring refuses to cooperate in Vancouver. Time for a coastal drive down to wine country.

My usual destination is the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, any other upper-end recommendations in the area?

Sun, pool and wine (of course) are the priorities.

Any tips on how to get into French Laundry on less than 30 days reservation notice also would be great!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

We enjoyed the Vintage Inn in Yountville http://vintageinn.com/ . If you get those reservations at The French Laundry it's almost just across the street.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

French Laundry takes forever to get in....

they usually don't answer the phone, and suggest showing up in person to make the reservation

I'll get there one day - but I don't have patience for that.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Calistoga Ranch. I've never stayed there or heard good or bad things about it. It's very, very high end. At the top end of Napa but close to many (also high end) wineries (Montelena, Shafer, Phelps, etc., etc.,) BTW, the weather hasn't been that great here either!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 AM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by helispud
We enjoyed the Vintage Inn in Yountville http://vintageinn.com/ . If you get those reservations at The French Laundry it's almost just across the street.
2nd this. And when we made our rez, the concierge walked down the street to get our French Laundry rez too. Can't beat that.

Or, if you have a platinum or black Amex, just get the Amex concierge to fetch the French Laundry rez.

Last edited by acao; 05-30-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Spring refuses to cooperate in Vancouver. Time for a coastal drive down to wine country.

My usual destination is the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, any other upper-end recommendations in the area?

Any tips on how to get into French Laundry on less than 30 days reservation notice also would be great!
I stayed twice at the Nappa valley lodge and enjoyed both stays. For the French Laundry, get on their waiting list and then call back every 5 days or so until you get close to the day and then you "chat your way" with the person on the phone. I've done it twice... granted I spoke in French and it was a French person on the other end of the phone both times.

BTW, I highly recommend making a stop at Chateau Boswell... My favorite discovery of the area! Incidentally, Josh at Chateau Boswell may very well be able to get you in if you're finding it difficult

Good luck
JM
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recommend Infineon Raceway. This is the 997 forum after all.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our absolute favourite place in Napa
www.thecarnerosinn.com
Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Originally Posted by acao
Or, if you have a platinum or black Amex, just get the Amex concierge to fetch the French Laundry rez.
Crap, I didn't know that. I'd given up on ever going to the French Laundry because I'm too lazy to keep calling for reservations, or calling months in advance.

Time to make those Amex concierges earn that ridiculous yearly fee. I've never used them before for anything, but they're getting a call now, LOL.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker

Couple of years ago I stayed at the Double Tree Hotel in Sonoma.

Nice facility and nice restaurant.

I do not partake of sun and pool activities, so I can't say anything about what these are like there.

As for the wine... I had some wine with dinner but I can't remember what I had but I don't recall not liking it. No matter. In that area of CA if you don't like one wine there are about a zillion you will like.

Oh, you might want to know that spring seems reluctant to cooperate here in northern CA. We have had some cool, breezy days with rain (mainly in the north bay where you'll be staying).

Still, unless you visit the Lake Tahoe area or the ski areas no snow or ice.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM
csorrows
Instructor

I've gotten in a zin mood lately, so when I go up there, I usually visit my favorite winery, Seghesio, and follow it up with some side trips to Mauritson and Ridge.

Also...found a really nice boutique style winery, A. Rafanelli, but their tasting room is reservation only. Very nice zins, though.

For normal old overnight trips, I usually try to stay at the Dry Creek Inn in Healdsburg, but in the new Tuscan style building. For longer stays, I've stayed at the Silverado Country Club, too, and they have some really nice rooms, especially some of the townhomes they rent out.

Enjoy! I love wine country...I need to get up there more often.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I third Vintage Inn.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Re stays the old guard still have the goods... Auberge du Soleil http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/ & Meadowood http://www.meadowood.com/ .. Of the two we prefer AdS as its kids free. Another really nice spot is the Poetry Inn at the Cliff Lede vineyards http://www.poetryinn.com/ - quiet and tranquil. Calistoga Ranch is a very good rec too. Lots of good choices there. Any of these places should be able to get you the FL res if given enough time to do so

Re FL, if doing it yourself the secret is to call one-half hour before the formal opening for taking reservations for the night you request (I think it is 30 days to the day in advance - my wife wld know). But I would rec starting with the first night staying over, put the number on speed dial, and keep trying. Since TKeller now has Per Se, and splits his time, its worth asking if he will be there. Do take the kitchen/garden tour as well.

Plan some runs for the car too - the roads crossing from Sonoma to Napa, and visa versa, are fun!
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Oh, you might want to know that spring seems reluctant to cooperate here in northern CA. We have had some cool, breezy days with rain (mainly in the north bay where you'll be staying).

Still, unless you visit the Lake Tahoe area or the ski areas no snow or ice.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Since I live in the Napa/Sonoma area I don't have occasion to stay at any of the resorts/hotels. Still +1 to Macster's comment about the weather; we're having a very cool spring. Memorial Day and it's 60 deg and breezy with rain showers possible for the next couple of days. 70's (maybe) by the weekend. purrybonker, don't know when you're planning on visitiing but be forewarned. Still, it's probably more temperate than Vancouver.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
Re stays the old guard still have the goods... Auberge du Soleil http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/.
+1

Quick Reply: Sonoma/Napa Hotels