Sponsored by:

Tips or Lessons Learned for Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:53 AM
BentShaft
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips or Lessons Learned for Wheel Removal

Have a 2010 Carrera S and would like to remove the wheel to improve the detailing and apply / remove protectant to minimize brake dust. This is my first Porsche and was concerns with the tire pressure monitors and lug bolt torquing - no need to screw up anything.

Does anyone have some good tips or lessons learned to share.

Freedom is not free - please remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live in freedom.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Get used to it. You should take the wheels off and clean everything, wheel, brakes, suspension parts regularly. Maybe every month or so. You wont need any protectant because you are going to do this regularly. There is no way to reduce the brake dust except by not driving the car.
All you need is some simple green or fantastic, or 409. Spray everything. rub it with a terry cloth and maybe a parts cleaning brush. hose it all off.
I use a socket and turn the rear rotor and get the whole thing in and out.
I blow everything dry with air. but you can just wipe it with a towel to reduce water spots.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 AM
acao
Racer

Wax your wheels. They're painted just like the car. And, the wax will help make the brake dust easier to rinse off next time.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Oh this is so simple.

1-Jack car up from rear jack point in front of rear tire (you can remove front and rear this way.
2- put jack stand under suspension were rear sway bar area rubber bushing is
3- un bolt 2 lugs (19mm) socket and install the 2 wheels pins so that wheel will slide off...you but the pins at your dealer
4- do you cleaning thingy and re-install wheel and torque to 97ft lbs.
5- after 50-100 miles re-check torque.

I can change out all for tires and all the brake pads with my track tires and race brake pads in an hour easy...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 AM
BentShaft
4th Gear

Understand the cleaning part but is there anything I need to know about the tire pressure monitoring system?

Any info on other locations than the four jack points near the wheels (just behind the fronts and just in front of the rears (both sides)?

I appreciate the cleaning info as weel.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BentShaft
Understand the cleaning part but is there anything I need to know about the tire pressure monitoring system?

Any info on other locations than the four jack points near the wheels (just behind the fronts and just in front of the rears (both sides)?

Don't worry about the tire monitoring system. The transponders for the TPMS are battery operated and wireless and mounted inside the tire. Nothing to disconnect and as long as you don't drive the car with a different set of wheels without TPMS, when you put the wheels back on after cleaning, everything will be fine.

There are a number of solutions for protecting your car at the jacking points; from hockey pucks to specially designed machined aluminum pieces with pegs which fit into the holes in the chassis. Do a search on jacking up your car and you will find plenty of info. The wheel pins mentioned by mdrums above are a must.

Use a ph blanced neutral wash solution, like Meguiars Gold car wash, to clean the wheels once they're off. Many household cleaners are far from ph balanced. Formula 409, for example has a PH of 12 which is highly alkaline and many other cleaners contain ammonia. Stay away from them. You could use something like P21S which is made to clean wheels. Works great but is expensive. The ph balanced car wash is safe, works well, and is much cheaper. Sometimes you may get bits of road tar stuck to the inside of the wheel that resist removal. I use a product called Tarminator from Stoners to loosen and remove them. WD40 also works for this purpose. After cleaning, a coat of wax will help resist brake dust build up and protect the finish.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-29-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by BentShaft

TPMS is not effected just by removing the wheels and reinstalling. Also only jack the car from the jack points. You're all set!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh this is so simple.

1-Jack car up from rear jack point in front of rear tire (you can remove front and rear this way.
When I tried this jacking point and removed the rear wheel, the car was not well balanced and the rear end slowly pivoted down. I was able to save her from ground contact, but something was not right.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:49 AM
zoomzoommo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If your 997 won't securely raise both the front and rear wheels while jacking from the rear jacking point, something strange is definitely occurring. I can understand how this might happen if you tried to raise one side from the jacking point immediately behind the front wheel. My 997 is very solid when I raise one side from the rear jack point.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Get used to it. You should take the wheels off and clean everything, wheel, brakes, suspension parts regularly. Maybe every month or so.
and why is that exactly?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
When I tried this jacking point and removed the rear wheel, the car was not well balanced and the rear end slowly pivoted down. I was able to save her from ground contact, but something was not right.
Odd... I jack my car up monthly this way. Jack up from rear jack point and place jack stand under rear suspension....no issues. You can also place a jack stand under front jack point too. Car is stable either way
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tip

once the wheels are clean, use a Nano wax, like Cquartz. its long lasting and you will only need to rinse with water. All the dirt falls away without touching.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I've done this many times and never a stability issue...maybe you weren't on level ground?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That would be impossible. It's standing on both front wheels and the car is STIFF!
Explain what you did.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

No just jack it at the 4 points or if you have 2 jacks you can do both rears and fronts at the same time.
And theres nothing to have any effect with any of the cars systems. Your torque can be 95 to 100 lbs.

Quick Reply: Tips or Lessons Learned for Wheel Removal