Sponsored by:

Tips or Lessons Learned for Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoommo
If your 997 won't securely raise both the front and rear wheels while jacking from the rear jacking point, something strange is definitely occurring. I can understand how this might happen if you tried to raise one side from the jacking point immediately behind the front wheel. My 997 is very solid when I raise one side from the rear jack point.
Come to think about it, it could be the slight diagonal grade on my driveway. I am going to reorient the car and give it another try.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
None of the tires that come on a 997 are directional. Don't confuse directional and asymmetrical . There is inside and outside to our tires and that is all.
I've often wondered about this. So I can swap MSPCs from right to left side? From my youth, I was always under the impression that radial bias tires should not be switched from right to left.

I know track guys switch their hoosiers from side to side quite often. Other than tracks being harder on one side versus the other, what benefits are there to switching sides?

Originally Posted by Steven B
I would suggest waxing the wheels inside and out after a thorough cleaning with "Rej-x" (available on-line) as it aids considerably with subsequent brake dust cleaning.
I've been meaning to do this. Any DIY tips? How do you get the wax down in the crevices? Any waxes work better than others on wheels? You recommended RejeX. Think I may just order some.

My orange wheels obviously get coated with brake dust (esp at the track). I've thought about painting them black (I'm not a huge fan of the orange wheels), but something keeps holding me back. So, I want to make it easier to rinse of the brake dust (not that my car will even win a concourse trophy).
Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clean wheels

Once wheels are clean, use CQUARTZ. After, just rinsing w water will keep them clean. Last a long time.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
tcouture
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on using the wheel pins, otherwise you will most likely mark your brake calipers.

I also put a couple of layers of electrical tape on the outside of the socket I am using for the lug nuts, just to make sure I don't mess up the rims. I haven't found a soft socket with an external plastic liner yet, although I have seen them; that would be ideal.

HTH,

T.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven B
I would suggest waxing the wheels inside and out after a thorough cleaning with "Rej-x" (available on-line) as it aids considerably with subsequent brake dust cleaning. Actually, I wax the whole car with this and dirt just hoses off (although the final shine is not quite as bright).
I top it off with a P21S Carnuba wax and it shines well. Love Rejex.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:14 AM
axecap911
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what jack stands are you using?
Old 02-07-2024, 10:15 AM
axecap911
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Oh this is so simple.

1-Jack car up from rear jack point in front of rear tire (you can remove front and rear this way.
2- put jack stand under suspension were rear sway bar area rubber bushing is
3- un bolt 2 lugs (19mm) socket and install the 2 wheels pins so that wheel will slide off...you but the pins at your dealer
4- do you cleaning thingy and re-install wheel and torque to 97ft lbs.
5- after 50-100 miles re-check torque.

I can change out all for tires and all the brake pads with my track tires and race brake pads in an hour easy...
What jack stands are you using?

Quick Reply: Tips or Lessons Learned for Wheel Removal