Sponsored by:

Need info on Bose Speakers - 2005 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
paolotvl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on Bose Speakers - 2005 Carrera S

I know this topic has been discussed at length in this forum but I could not find the information I'm looking for by searching this forum.

I just bought a 2005 Carrera S with Bose system. I'm very disappointed by how bad this system sounds: very unbalanced, with a setup designed to give you the impression of a lot of bass. You can always tell the music is coming from the speakere instead of having the impression of being fully immersed in it, as it should be with a system with this price tag.

This is the info I need, I'd appreciate it if any of you could answer these questions:

1) number of speakers, type (ie full range, woofers, midranges, tweeters etc.) and dimensions (i.e. 6.5" doble cone full range) and their location in the car

2) is there any external crossover or is everything directly hooked up to the bose amp??

3) If any of you has upgraded the crappy Bose system, can you plase tell me what speakers/set up you went for??

4) I want to replace the pcm2 with an afetrmarket in-dash unit. It is not clear wheter or not you will lose some of the onboard computer functionality. Can somebody clarfy it? I know the wzy around this is to keep the head unit moving it in the compartment by the cd changer. I assume the oem screen can be detached from the head unit, otherwise you'd have to move it with the head, which seems awkward. Any idea??

Thank you very much for your feedback,

Paolo

Last edited by paolotvl; 05-25-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: --
Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

OMG, I was thinking exactly the same with my 06 C2... I wondered if it was just me or this system is not that great... I just don't feel the love with this system. I seem to be unable to find the sweet spot with treble/bass and also front and rear sound...

I'll have to also do something eventually...
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Would be interested to know the answer too.

Frankly,though, my favorite thing to listen to in my 05 Carrera S is the engine. Windows down, after market (AWE) exhaust and 6k rpm is the best music I have heard.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You guys should be thanking your lucky stars that your car has the Bose system, because the standard system is worse!

That said, the interior of the 911 is a very hostile environment in which to create good stereo sound. There are too many severe angles to offer good acoustics and the stereo has to compete with road, tire and engine noise.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Seeking audio nirvana (or even 10% of the way there) within the confines of a Porsche 911 is probably a complete waste of time and money.

I spent more than a few grand on previous Porsches (MacIntosh et al) before I learned to accept the status quo with my current 997.

Probably the best solution to appease a quasi-audiofile would be to get a decent head unit and snap in a good set of noise cancelling headphones, eg...

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...el-line_502417

The idea of driving a Porsche while wearing a massive set of cans my seem ridiculous, but if sound is important it's probably the only way to fly.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

At the risk of being lambasted, I like the Bose upgrade in my 05 C2S. Course I rarely turn the radio on unless my daughter is in the car, and then we listen to the Black Eyed Peas where lots of base sounds pretty good. I think I read somewhere there are either 11 or 13 speakers.
Jim
Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM
GHills
Instructor

no highs no lows, must be bose
Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM
johnstoy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer one of the OP's questions:
1: there are 13 seperate speakers in the car: 2 in each door (bass & midrange) and 3 tweeters across the dash (one at each end, one in the middle), 2 more seperates in each side panel beside the rear seats (these are incredibly small units: less than 1 inch deep - seem pretty useless) and 2 woofers in the sub box. Not sure of exact sizing - you can see through the grills if you look closely.

4: you would lose the logbook, (if you have that option) and some of the settings and info related to sport chrono (again: if you have that), memory seat settings, (ditto), and the display below the digital speed in the tachometer goes blank. The settings on the stalk still work. I don't believe the faceplate is removable from the head unit.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Every so often someone complains about the audio systems available from Porsche for these cars. The Bose is apparently a marked improvement over the stock. However, there is still a small percentage of audiophiles who just find the system inadequate for themselves, so there are aftermarket systems available.

Keep in mind that any aftermarket system is (1) never inexpensive, (2) adds complexity to the installation, (3) becomes virtually worthless or a detriment to the NEXT owner.

Every so often someone does an extensive audio mod to their 997. As I understand it the replacement systems should be designed around a MOST ring so that you can exploit the existing FO network within the car. Otherwise you will be stringing cable. You will have to get with a top end audio shop in a major region (e.g., LA) to get their input in how to improve upon the Bose. Smaller markets probably as yet have little experience with the 997 so you may be opening up new territory. I believe some of the LA area shops know precisely what it will take to improve the audio system performance in the 997. Being as you selected a MY05 car to buy, my assumption is that what is more important to you may be the sound coming out of the speakers, and less what comes from that heap of metal hanging over the rear wheels! Check with the guys who have done it before--try not to be the audio 'experiment' for them.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

my 4th P-car.

none ever had a decent system

glad the car sounds good
Old 05-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes I wonder if everyone is listening to the same system.
Sounded fine to me the 3 times I turned it on..
Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only listen to the radio when stuck in traffic (which, in LA, is a frequent occurrence )

sound isn't great, but not terrible. If I ever did anything it would be new speakers in the factory enclosures, keep it looking stock and not mess around with that giant computer screen on the dash.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Brian Barnett
1st Gear

Upgrading the speakers with higher end units will go a long way in a 997. The big problem with Bose is that they insist on paper cones and other cheap materials in their speakers. Try a brand like Focal or Infinity or some other maker that puts poly or woven fabric cones and actual crossovers into ther units with audiophile grade capacitors etc. There are aftermarket subs that will fit under the seats but with a cabin this small the factory head unit should have plenty of power to address that space. There is no benefit especially from a value retention standpoint in yanking out the factory unit. If you feel the system needs more power you could mount an amplifier in the trunk. My two cents.

Last edited by Brian Barnett; 07-03-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: Need info on Bose Speakers - 2005 Carrera S