Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch engages suddenly... not smooth anymore

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

To update ppl on latest, I believe the issue is the shifter cable and not synchors, nor other transmission issues.

A really good indy shop diagnosed it (dealer was useless as always!) he said it's 80% due to shifter cable wearing and the guy said it's probably gotto snap soon! He said it's such a common problem on 997s, they keep them in stock as do a replacement once a week!

Aparently dealer doesn't change cable under warranty until it completely snaps! Anyone changed their shifter cable under warranty before it completely broke?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 PM
ncout
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey pal. I'm considering buying a used 997.2 and seem to have the exact same issue you described. Clutch engagement point was higher than on the other two i test drove. Also, the window to make a smooth shift was smaller than in the other two. I had to concentrate quite a bit when changing gears instead of just enjoying the drive. What ever happened with your 997? Was the problem just the shifter cable or did it turn out to be more complicated than that? ---- hoping you can reply soon as this car is on the market. Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:37 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncout
Hey pal. I'm considering buying a used 997.2 and seem to have the exact same issue you described. Clutch engagement point was higher than on the other two i test drove. Also, the window to make a smooth shift was smaller than in the other two. I had to concentrate quite a bit when changing gears instead of just enjoying the drive. What ever happened with your 997? Was the problem just the shifter cable or did it turn out to be more complicated than that? ---- hoping you can reply soon as this car is on the market. Thanks!!
Is it Carrera or Carrera S? If base model, a high clutch could mean worn out clutch however if it’s the S model then there could be other things as it’s a self adjusting clutch.

My car (C4S) was fixed by two things, I adjusted the shifter cable, twice (first shop F’ed up), then also changed the transmission fluid. Then it has been all fine since I posted this.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 PM
ncout
Track Day

Thanks for your quick reply. It's a base model. Yes, most guys are saying likely a worn out clutch. But i guess i should try the repairs/service you had done first
Old 07-22-2019, 05:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your quick reply. It's a base model. Yes, most guys are saying likely a worn out clutch. But i guess i should try the repairs/service you had done first
Have you bought the car already? If not, I’d skip it since it could be worn out clutch and that’s costly repair. If you already own it, try what I did and if it didn’t resolve then you may have to do the clutch.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 PM
ncout
Track Day

I haven't bought it yet. But the price I'd be paying would be about $4,500 under my estimate of market value. So I would not lose if I replaced the clutch/flywheel. Do you think it's worth taking the chance or do i need to get compensated for the risk that those repairs don't fix the problem?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I haven't bought it yet. But the price I'd be paying would be about $4,500 under my estimate of market value. So I would not lose if I replaced the clutch/flywheel. Do you think it's worth taking the chance or do i need to get compensated for the risk that those repairs don't fix the problem?
In that case, it might be OK, however do make sure you do a PPI ensuring there's no missed shifts and over-revs, you also wanna make sure that it's not abused. If it has very low miles yet worn out clutch, it means it's been abused.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:42 PM
RidePcar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Deleted post

Last edited by RidePcar; 08-15-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 08-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
My clutch's been acting up, it's becoming quite hard to smoothly shift, it basically engages a bit higher than usual and abruptly (like nothing, nothing, noting... BOOM in gear!)... I also got some 1-2nd shift issues which I think are unrelated.

What could this be? I don't think clutch is worn, as I got only 12K miles (with 4-5 track days), and as far as I know the clutch is self adjusting, so even if worn it should stay relatively low but I guess anything's possible with clutch?!

Any ideas? Car's 2007 C4S, CPO. I just wanted to get some ideas before taking it to dealer.
Bleed the clutch slave cylinder... and your brakes, while your in there.

I had the same symptoms when I bought my 997 at 17k miles a few years ago. I've always owned manuals, but the action to engage the clutch on the 997 made me feel like a rookie.

Although 3-6 we're usually fine, 1st gear departures were pretty choppy and 2nd was usually a crapshoot. I couldn't find a consistent sweet spot in the pedal travel range to engage the clutch, and it was always in the last 15% of travel.

I refused to believe a major clutch issue would be occurring at 20k miles, regardless of PO's expertise.

I bled the brakes and the clutch slave cylinder (the hydraulics are intertwined). It eliminated the problem and reaffirmed my belief that I'm competent with a manual.

I start cheap and easy first. It works most of the time.

Quick Reply: Clutch engages suddenly... not smooth anymore