Sponsored by:

Lurker with a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Hairy2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lurker with a question

I am a prior Porsche owner who is thinking about getting back into the game. I'm looking at an '07 Carrera S with 4400 miles. It would be a CPO car. It's fairly loaded......

Is $65000 a reasonable price for this kind of thing?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Low mileage, but that price seems steep. Hard to say with so few details though.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Hairy2
Rennlist Member

If you can tell me what details will be helpful, I'll supply what I can....
It has Nav, leather, 6 sp man, sport chrono, 19 in. wheels and looks super clean....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be worried about the mileage. That's 4 year old car (at least) Much happier if it read around 20,000-30,000. These cars don't like to sit around.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have thought somewhere in the $50's. Also in this case the miles are too low, so you may encounter under-use issues with the car.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Hairy2
Rennlist Member

What kind of under-use issues might there be? Could they be resolved by changing all the fluids? Would a new break in period help? Maybe replacing rubber hoses?

Also, had the IMS been somewhat addressed by the '07 model run? Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of cars ran into this problem?

I'm sort of thinking that the CPO will get me through some issues, but real flaws are a different story.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 547 Posts

They did an upgrade in 2006 to greatly shore up the IMS issue. Doesnt get rid of the issue completely but apparently much better design etc. get a PPI and DME scan and you'll have a good sense for the car. CPO will give you comfort. I'd say $55,000 to $60,000 top. Some people will actually pay for the low miles. Probably closer to $55K.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Lower mileage generally means less wear and tear within the cockpit of the car. However, underuse will be bad for the engine. These cars are not built to sit around. Even with oil changes on schedule the sitting will cause seals to dry out. There are some reports that under driven cars are more likely affected by the PMS problem than the ones that get driven.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy2
I am a prior Porsche owner who is thinking about getting back into the game. I'm looking at an '07 Carrera S with 4400 miles. It would be a CPO car. It's fairly loaded......

imho $55K would be reasonable asking price, then it will depend of other factors...

for around of $65K price tag you should look at '09 997.2 'S' cars with PDK imho.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM
lvandermerwe
Advanced

That is a good price in my opinion. Check out the Porsche-usa website that shows where dealers price these cars.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Lower mileage generally means less wear and tear within the cockpit of the car. However, underuse will be bad for the engine. These cars are not built to sit around. Even with oil changes on schedule the sitting will cause seals to dry out. There are some reports that under driven cars are more likely affected by the PMS problem than the ones that get driven.
PMS problems are usually encountered only in female owned Porsches
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Can't help with the pricing but the low miles *with* CPO is attractive.

But... But you can't buy the car and then not drive it and let the warranty expire on time.

For example: In June of '09 I bought an 03 Turbo with around 10K miles on it with a 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty.

Since then I have put around 55K miles on the car (yes, the car has just over 65K miles on it now!) and the CPO warranty has come in handy. Real handy.

Idler roller bearing, broken radiator fan motor, radiator (dented but not holed by the failed fan motor), leaking radiator cap, leaking transmission (6-speed) seal (transmission replaced!), clutch accumulator, clutch slave cylinder, and shifter. The shifter broke just recently (within the last 6K miles) and the clutch accumulator/clutch slave cylinder a few K miles before that. The other problems occured or were found at around the 35K mile mark.

My point is that with the low miles the presence of a CPO warranty takes alot of the worry out of the low miles.

But... But you can't buy the car and then not drive it and let the warranty expire on time.

You may not be able to put 55K miles on the car in under 2 years like I have on my 03 Turbo, but if you buy the low miles car with the CPO warranty you're paying a premium for the low miles and the warranty, but not deriving any real benefit from the warranty.

As my experience shows things come up from miles driven, not from a car just sitting around looking pretty and getting dusty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:46 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

What kind of under-use issues might there be? Could they be resolved by changing all the fluids? Would a new break in period help? Maybe replacing rubber hoses?

Also, had the IMS been somewhat addressed by the '07 model run? Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of cars ran into this problem?

I'm sort of thinking that the CPO will get me through some issues, but real flaws are a different story.

Thanks
none really - or those very high millage cars would command a premium.....and they just don't
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Now that's annoying. Took ten minutes to write a thoughtful answer and the server lost it. Sigh.

Summary. If the condition found in a PPI supports the low-usage, high-care, practices of the first owner implied by that mileage, then buy it. Specifically ask the PPI about signs of seals having dried and get those repaired as part of the sale. Price is fair if the other condition factors are 'excellent' and $65k is the out-the-door price.

Gary

Quick Reply: Lurker with a question