Sponsored by:

2012 GTS Cab on the Way -- Leather Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2012 GTS Cab on the Way -- Leather Question

Excited about my Cab coming in two weeks. Meteor Grey Metallic with PCCB. I have never owned a cab. The interior is full natural carrera red leather. I plan on driving it alot. So, do you cab owners suggest any leather products to prevent uv damage, etc., or just let it weather normally?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Excited about my Cab coming in two weeks. Meteor Grey Metallic with PCCB. I have never owned a cab. The interior is full natural carrera red leather. I plan on driving it alot. So, do you cab owners suggest any leather products to prevent uv damage, etc., or just let it weather normally?
I have full natural carrera red leather on my C4S Cab. I have tried many products to keep the leather in great shape and prevent UV damage. The product below is what I have found to be best - deeply conditions without a greasy look and smells like new leather. I have also posted pics of my interior (I changed the floor mats to black with red trim since then). Good luck - you will love your car and that color combo you ordered is perfect. Enjoy and don't forget to post pics!

http://www.prevettes.com/car_care_pr...%20Protectants

Rick's Best Leather Conditioner

Our Leather Conditioner is a special formulation for the cleaning and deep conditioning of leather. Does not contain any harsh chemicals or abrasives that could damage your fine leather. There is nothing like the smell of new leather. So, with that in mind, enjoy the real leather smell that comes from the genuine leather essence oils that have been blended into our conditioner. The oils soak in deeply to help soften, protect and rejuvenate leather. Won't leave any oily or greasy film. Use it with incredible results on all of your leathers, including your ride's upholstery, your leather coat, leather furniture, just about anything that is genuine leather (except for suede).
8 oz. $9.00

16 oz. $14.00

32 oz. $22.50
Attached Images   
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Connolly Hide Care from England is great for dyed (not painted) leather like the "Natural" leathers offered by Porsche.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It amazes me that deviated carpet is not standard spec for these cars.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i too have carerra red in my Cab. The Ph balance is what important about leather cleaners and conditioners. There are several products that have UV protection. However Im told the UV protection doesnt last that long so...
there are lots of products out there including easy 1 step cleaner/conditioners and multi step products.

Also when the car sits in the Sun i usually put the sun windshield cover to protect the leather dash.

some products I use are:
1. Gold Class™ Rich Leather Aloe conditioner
2. Pinnacle Leather Conditioner
3. Leatherique (unsure if it has UV)

Last edited by kosmo; 05-13-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Another important consideration is to apply that stuff at the proper interval. In Kentucky, with the top down and left down in the sun, you need to at least apply that stuff twice a year. At least. If you want the stuff to stay in good shape try not to park the car in the sun with the top down.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

I've been very happy with the 1Z Einszett Lederpfledge. I also use their vinyl-rubber care and protectant on the soft top - works great.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I've used many products over the years but so far my favorite has been the Leather Masters Vital Conditioner. It will leave the leather slightly darker than it came from the factory but it's not greasy or shiny, just a nice satin finish. Smell doesn't change either, in fact I think it may help enhance the leather smell.

Definitely apply regularly to the dash and tops of the doors where the sun hits regularly. Other areas can be treated every few months.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Zaino leather treatment!

It has UV barrier. It is not sticky or greasy. And it is made to smell like Porsche leather. Keeps your hides smelling like new.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Kyrocks, thank you for sharing those pics. I love it. Congratulations to the OP on the meteor grey and red combo. My favorite interior color is the carrera red natural leather. That along with the meteor grey is a deadly combo. Porsche reserves the name "Natural leather" exclusively for it's top 10 % of the hide and are full aniline dyed in a vat process with no color coating added to the surface. Full aniline dyed leathers are prized for their soft, natural feel. They are the one of the most expensive leathers to produce because of the difficulty in finding the superior quality of hides required to produce the full aniline leather. Full aniline dyed leathers may also be more susceptible to absorbing liquids because of the natural porosity of the hide. But because they don't have a top coat, the leather breathes more easily and is cooler to sit on.

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is a must for a preventative maintenance twice a year. I like to hand massage the product and work it into all those grooves/stitching. My regular leather cleaner is the SONAX Leather Foam. I use it once a month with great results. What I like about this product is the fact that it is a foam based formula which is perfect for perforated seats. I let the foaming sits on the surface and then you can actually watch it being absorbed more in areas of high contact. I then concentrate more on those areas with a repeat spray. It also keeps the original Porsche leather smell intact. Some of the leather cleaners out there in the market mask that Porsche leather smell so you have to be careful.
Leatherique's rejuvenator oil is not a true oil but a protein based collagen emulsion which should be applied generously to the leather every 6 months. I pick a nice hot day and let the car sit out for a couple of hours before treatment as warmth let's the pores open up making penetration of the product easier. You should then apply 4 ounce of product to each seat using a foam brush (u can never apply too much as only what absorbs absorbs, the rest stays on the surface and can be wiped of) and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then use the Leatherique prestine cleaner for the final wipe down and cleaning.

Contrary to popular belief:

1. Even new car's leather needs to be conditioned (remember the hide sitting in the factory may still be old and devoid of the moisturization and rich blood circulation that used to be there when the cow was alive) and 2. with leatherique it is conditioning first then cleaning. So rejuvenator oil first then followed by the prestine clean. The Sonax or Prestine cleaner can be used everyday or every week for routine cleaning.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Krocks...I gotta say that is one awesome looking Carrera Cabriolet you have...WOW!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Krocks...I gotta say that is one awesome looking Carrera Cabriolet you have...WOW!
Thank you. It's so different and "luxurious" compared to my GT3. They made a mistake and gave me those red floor mats and it took 2 months for them to replace them with the black ones with red trim. Too much red without the deviating carpet imo.

It's also a great track car - I took it to Road America last year before I had the GT3! To the OP, the GTS should be a perfect alternative to your GT3. Good choice.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Nice choice!
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts
Default AutoGlym... Something a bit more blue...

I use the English product AutoGlym and really like it. It takes some time to work it into the leather but the result is excellent. Here's a shot of my somewhat rare Sea Blue full leather interior with the silver rear consul, silver gauge frame and the thicker steering wheel.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i like the Porsche leather conditioner - bought it from Suncoast. no odor and it leaves that flat look on the leather that i prefer. works weel on both the black leather in my GTS and the natural grey in the Boxster.

Quick Reply: 2012 GTS Cab on the Way -- Leather Question