Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A flat 400 miles from home, and in the middle of no where.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Had a slow leak in a valve stem ( nut that holds it on got loose) on my Cayman and tried the pump it lasted 10 seconds and shorted out blowing the 7.5 amp fuse for the 12 volt outlets. Porsche replaced the pump and it is stored in the car BUT I also purchased a better 12 volt pump for the next emergency
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Have to be honest my car was a good talking point the whole weekend. First off it was the color and then the car's ability to outrun a Ducati Monster, 996 and a couple Speed Triple's.

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Sounds like a great trip overall.

So, are you considering getting a spare tire now?

Must have had that sinking feeling of "oh crap, I'm screwed now", when you saw that low tire.

Phil
Actually what really gave me a fright was the tire shop, nice folks but boy their equipment was not the best! Nope, I think the pump and goop are still the way to go, either way your speed home would be reduced to 50mph.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I had to resort to the green goop (I keep some--non-factory) in the garage at home. Although messy, it does work. I didn't have a problem with it (1) corroding the rims; nor (2) screwing up the TPMS senders.

It's only messy for the poor guy dismounting it later!

Gotta love the color of that car! Glad we get to see it often!
That's good to know.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
No spare (not even a donut) = one reason why I never take my Porsche out of town. We either use my wife's Merc or rent one. Bumpy ride, lousy gas mileage, and no trunk space for luggage are the other reasons.

A true enthusiast!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
No spare (not even a donut) = one reason why I never take my Porsche out of town. We either use my wife's Merc or rent one. Bumpy ride, lousy gas mileage, and no trunk space for luggage are the other reasons.
Are we all talking about the same kind of car? I've always thought modern Porsches (specifically the 996 and 997) had very good ride quality, get decent mileage (in the mid 20s) and have plenty of luggage space for two people.

Which cars that perform as well as a 997 have more to offer in those same categories?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
...As for the brake dust I drove directly from a Charity Concour to the mtns, car went from V. clean to filthy pretty darn quick, for some of the drive I was really on it - like 9/10ths on it...
Bruce,
I'm very impressed. My kind owner...clean it, then drive the hell out of it, clean it, then... (both are so fun!)

I saw the car on Saturday...it looked stunning at the concour! I was surprised by the wheels, didn't know about the new look?
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Such a gorgeous color

Originally Posted by wisky
Glad to hear you got it all straightened out. That is such an amazing color - reminds me of Negaro Blue on the Audi S4's. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Bruce,
I'm very impressed. My kind owner...clean it, then drive the hell out of it, clean it, then... (both are so fun!)

I saw the car on Saturday...it looked stunning at the concour! I was surprised by the wheels, didn't know about the new look?
Damn right, I'm trying to discover the full breath of what these cars can offer - it really is so much.
As for the new 18" wheels I am trying a new look and have hung onto the 19" originals. Tell you what the 18" (w/ Michelin PS2's) worked great in the mtns. The 19" are better for a concor - read more asthetically pleasing IMO.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

You can't goop this!

Quick Reply: A flat 400 miles from home, and in the middle of no where.