Sponsored by:

Sport setting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport setting question

Does the 07 C4S with the Sport button (PASM) cause the car to lower 10mm at speed ?
I thought I had read that in the manual or online.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No. The air suspension (optional) in the Cayenne and Panamera does exactly that - but PASM doesn't.

Standard PASM has two settings, regular and sport. Sport stiffens things up - but doesn't lower them.
Sport PASM (aka SPASM) works exactly the same way. The difference is that SPASM's regular setting is stiffer than PASM's regular and ditto for the sport settings. PASM is one cm lower than the normal (non-PASM) suspension, and SPASM is one cm lower than PASM.

Recapping:

PASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than standard suspension;
SPASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than PASM.

DMoore
'11 GTS (with SPASM)
'10 P4S (with air suspension)

Last edited by DMoore; 05-03-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, this explains why activating sport mode can actually lessen the scraping of the front end on driveways. Someone on this or another b-board pointed that out, and I've used it since.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by aka_Sven
FYI, this explains why activating sport mode can actually lessen the scraping of the front end on driveways. Someone on this or another b-board pointed that out, and I've used it since.
I also use it on speed bumps/lumps/humps and various other places where terrain puts the bottom of the car at risk. Things like fording creeks and so on.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I also use it on speed bumps/lumps/humps and various other places where terrain puts the bottom of the car at risk. Things like fording creeks and so on.
Ok, I'm a little slow understanding the benefits, so please forgive me.

It is the rational that a "stiffer" suspension, while driving over speed bumps/humps/ etc.. would cause less "rebound hence mitigate possibility of bottom dragging/touching the speed bump/etc..?

I still don;t see how it helps with entering/exiting of driveways. I have a step driveway entry and MUST enter/exit at an angle, SLOWLY, to avoid scraping the chin spoiler.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Not rebound, but preventing the nose from diving as much.

Here's how it has worked for me: There are two spots in my daily commute where my front lip will scrape unless I go really really slow. One is where a downsloping road meets a flat cross road - similar to a driveway meeting the street. With sport mode on, I can navigate this at 5 mph rather than having to stop and creep at 1 mph. Sport mode prevents the front end from dipping much if at all and hitting the front lip.

The other spot is exiting a driveway from a parking garage. Again, without sport mode on I scrape unless I go 1-2 mph because the front end dips when the front wheels hit the joint between the driveway and the street. With sport mode on, it doesn't. Hope that helps.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by aka_Sven
wow - that's awesome, can't wait to try this (makes sense, and I'm dense)

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up, aka_Sven!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

one more question:

-Stock suspension- no button

-PASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than standard suspension; there's a button under the radio that says "sport"

-SPASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than PASM. it has a button under the radio but what does it say?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by 997_rich
one more question:

-PASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than standard suspension; there's a button under the radio that says "sport"

-SPASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than PASM. it has a button under the radio but what does it say?

Thanks
The "sport" button is NOT the suspension, at least not in my cars. Assuming you have PDK, the sport button activates the sport setting for engine/trans. The PASM/SPASM sport setting button is an icon of a shock absorber. A 911 is equipped with 1 of 3 suspensions: standard suspension, PASM or SPASM. Standard suspension is what it is - no buttons, no choices. With either PASM or SPASM there are two choices, regular or sport. With "shock absorber" button not activated (yellow light not shining) you're in regular setting. Push the "shock absorber" button, yellow light comes on, and you're in the sport setting. Sitting in the driver's seat, there's no way to tell if you have PASM vs. SPASM. From the outside, you can (barely) that with SPASM the car sits 1 cm lower.

To add to the complications - if PASM/SPASM and PDK with Sport Chrono Plus there are 3 button, sport, sport plus and the shock absorber. Push either sport or sport plus - the trans changes programs, throttle response changes, AND the shock absorber button lights up because it's now also in the sport setting for the suspension. But you can activate the sport suspension setting without affecting engine/PDK by pushing just the shock absorber button; or you can activate sport or sport plus for engine/PDK but then DEactivate sport suspension setting by pushing the shock absorber button. The light will then go out on that button.

(I've had all 3 suspensions. '08 C2 was std; '09 C2S had PASM; '11 GTS has SPASM. The C2 was a 6-speed; the C2S and GTS are PDK with Sport Chrono.)

Sorry to be so long winded!

DMoore
'10 Panamera 4S
'11 GTS
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

So:

-PASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than standard suspension; there's a button under the radio that shows a little shock absorber

-SPASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than PASM. it has a button under the radio that shows a little shock absorber.

Right? i was just wondering if you can tell if a car has PASM or SPASM by the buttons?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 AM
DMoore
Pro

Originally Posted by 997_rich
So:

-PASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than standard suspension; there's a button under the radio that shows a little shock absorber

-SPASM is one cm lower and a bit stiffer than PASM. it has a button under the radio that shows a little shock absorber.

Right? i was just wondering if you can tell if a car has PASM or SPASM by the buttons?
Standard suspension is softest and highest
PASM is stiffer and 1 cm lower
SPASM is even stiffer and lower than PASM

From the interior you can't tell the difference between PASM and SPASM. The difference is the relative stiffness and ride height.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 P4S
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there a Sports Suspension option on the Euro cars, thats 20mm lower and stiffer ?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
markiii
Advanced

there is yes

Quick Reply: Sport setting question