Vinyl car wraps?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I concur - rotes orange benz was SO sweet, I kinda want to pick one up to do the exact same wrap!!!

rotes - where did you have it done, and thanks for the new avatar!!
I did really enjoy the car, had it on 110 days, but it started getting stale so it had to go
had it done at one of those places that slaps signs onto commercial vehicles to advertise for them......price was 2K

with stock wheels

I'd also add I took it off myself, and it was pretty simple, also there was no issue with paint, some glue that had
to come off, but nothing serious.......
had it washed and waxed after wards too....current:
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

rotes - did you have the grill done? or purchase it black?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
rotes - did you have the grill done? or purchase it black?
had it taken apart and painted, and that was the second time hehe.....
I have another clean stock grill but just have not gotten around to putting it on yet.....that will really help freshen the look and it will basically be stock again with the exception of wheels...

what happened to the OP??
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I did really enjoy the car, had it on 110 days, but it started getting stale so it had to go
had it done at one of those places that slaps signs onto commercial vehicles to advertise for them......price was 2K

Cool. That's a lot of fun for $2k.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

had it taken apart and painted, and that was the second time hehe.....
I have another clean stock grill but just have not gotten around to putting it on yet.....that will really help freshen the look and it will basically be stock again with the exception of wheels...

what happened to the OP??
I like it black! not sure about OP, but god knows I'm thinking more and more about wraps - just wish I had room for another car!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

I like it black too.......except keeping it clean sux.....

still wonder what the hell happened to OP!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use 3M 1080 Vinyl Film. Make sure to ask your installer for pics or to view actual cars. Great installers make it very difficult to see seams. Also, I would recommend doing your door jams so that you don't see original colors every time you open the car door or trunk!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM
sp4rk
1st Gear

Default Help with car wrap.

Last week I had a new car wrapped. In Illinois. Delivered in black, I could not get red and wanted red.

Went to a local wrap shop and, based on the color samples provided by Avery, I had the film ordered. A $650 roll of film later, this past week, they started to wrap it. As I observed.

Not sure Avery film cuts the mustard?

The tiny sample I was shown of their burgundy and cherry red metallic looked great. Visited the Oak Brook store and compared them to the Sig Red and "new" red. Burgundy looked very close to Sig and Cherry looked very close to the "new" red.

I chose Cherry Red Metallic.

They wrapped the hood under flourescent light and when done I photographed it ... my brain and eyes were giving it a good LOOK. But I was not liking what I saw. The color looked "mauvey" or pinkish. Purple?
They continued with the right front fender and the physical job was perfect. The film? Horrible!

I had them stop and moved the care into sunlight to see if that made a difference ... have since shown the result to a dozen of my friends. At lunch today. I was getting comments that I had wrecked my car and it was primer paint.
It's basically dull. Lacks the same shine that the black has. Yet if you put the tiny samples up to the hood, they look the same!

Now ... Avery will "let" me buy a roll of Burgundy to see if it's better for a non refundable $650. They'll apparently not send a free sample of say, 2' x3'? No. I am not willing to pay $650 per color try out.

So then I thought ... could it be waxed to bring out a shine? Could it be that vinyl simply doesn't "shine" like paint?

The car's hood looks hideous. But it can be easily removed!

Then, today I saw a couple of cars in the parking lot that had had Paint armor applied. You know, half the hood only. And paint armor IS wrapping. I analysed it and saw clearly that the difference between the shine on the armor and the original finish were the same. So, it cannot be a characteristic of vinyl wrapping?

What, then, does one do?

Bite the bullet ($650) for a new color? And hope it's the right color and it "shines"? Does wrap need waxing? Would 3m be better?

It's very hard to show this problem in a photo but I attach what I can to show the aberration.

Last week I ordered a bar stool for my kitchen. It happens to be red. A deep cherry red (or that's what I call it) ... and it's the color I'd love to have on my car.

So I have put it on the hood. And put Avery samples next to it.
I find photographs very hard to depict this but I can see the difference between the chair red and the hood "purple"?

The large sample (2"x1") is Avery Burgundy. The small samples are from the Avery catalog. Almost impossible to make out the colors from this but the Cherry Red (top color on small samples) looks like the stool chair to me when viewed on the page (against white), but the hood looks nothing like it unless you put them up against each other.
Very odd.

Any advice most welcome!
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
SmartWrap
1st Gear

I personally like bright color wraps. They stick out way more, and it ALWAYS catches someones eye. It's like a bright pink car ALWAYS makes people look at it, and then the driver. I think the more they make the designs, the better they will look! Practice makes perfect!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

If you're doing vinyl why go with a flat color? Do something special. The race guys have some fantastic custom wraps on their cars. Often thought about doing something like that, but that just screams "Hi Mr. Policeman! Pull me over!".
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

2k is dirt cheap for a wrap, all the quotes i have got for a color wrap are in the 4500-6k range.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by sjfehr
If you're doing vinyl why go with a flat color? Do something special. The race guys have some fantastic custom wraps on their cars. Often thought about doing something like that, but that just screams "Hi Mr. Policeman! Pull me over!".
why is a wrap screaming to be pulled over?
that statement makes little to no sense.....

police suck......until you need one
Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

why is a wrap screaming to be pulled over?
that statement makes little to no sense.....

police suck......until you need one
Racing livery looks awesome on a porsche, but it's unfortunately also a giant billboard saying "I like to drive fast" to some and "Hey, look at me!!!" to all. If I'm pushing the hairy edge of how fast I can go without getting pulled over for speeding, last thing I want is to call extra attention to myself.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Post # 41 on this thread has pics of my C4S: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429

Entire painted portion of my car is covered. Call me crazy but my car is a daily driver, gets parked in cinemas/walmarts/hospital doctor parking lots, driven winter time on mountain passes over snow, ice and city roads that use loose gravel for traction on ice. It is only worth it is your car is a keeper and if you care for it's paint finish (for me both those points hold good). The ventureshield bra (which is top notch quality) still looks brand new 15 months later but my car gets handwashed weekly, blow dried after every wash (I don't use any drying towel) and the clear-bra is waxed every three months. I think you should consider wrapping the front not the whole car like me.
not to hi-jack, but what do you use for the blow-dry?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
zriman
1st Gear

Default Instructions

Check it out, it shows all the step by step details on how to vinyl wrap a car

http://vvividvinyl.com/vvivid8_product_guide.pdf

I tried their vinyl and its pretty good quality and as easy to work with as 3M except at nearly half the price. They also post instructional videos and give great advice if you give them a call!

Quick Reply: Vinyl car wraps?????