Sponsored by:

AWE Cats + X-51 + PSE = Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWE Cats + X-51 + PSE = Goodness

Lots of discussion around here about after-market exhaust options.

I initially progressed from the non-PSE world to PSE + X-51 headers and was very happy with the result in terms of engine sound. Initially I played around with an over-ride switch to allow PSE control outside of Sport Mode; later I tried the Carnewal remote PSE control and was happy to dispense with the switch stashed in ashtray.

Eventually, I just unplugged the PSE vacuum control module and let the PSE run in "on" mode most of the time.

Recently I added a set of AWE sport cats and to be honest, I was not pleased with how the loud the car became with PSE "engaged". Above 4 grand it positively "rips" and is very pleasing, but at lower rpm and cruising around town it's far too loud for my taste. More Mustang or Camaro V-8 "look at me" rumble than boxer snort.

But now I've found the perfect balance. Leaving the PSE "off" allows for civilized urban, top-down cruising. Even with the PSE disengaged the engine sound comes completely alive on throttle above 4k. Best of both worlds.

PSE "on" is still an appealiing option for highway or backroad cruises.

I'm convinced there are meaningful power gains with the cats - but I wasn't interested in dyno work to prove out numbers.

Those of you thinking about adding PSE and cats might want to do the cats first, unless you want significant sound increases - the cats make the PSE a bit redundant.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No question in my mind...changing out your cats makes your engine produce more power in all the right places.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I have a couple of cats near me right now who don't react well to this thread about "changing out your cats."

Please spell it out--don't truncate that word!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never meant to stress out your felines. Seems my Bengal winces at the phrase too.

I was referring to replacing the pipe containing a catalyst which is designed to stimulate a chemical reaction in which the by-products of combustion are converted to produce less harmful and/or inert substances, such as the very poisonous carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide with a similar unit that allows for greater flow.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have a couple of cats near me right now who don't react well to this thread about "changing out your cats."

Please spell it out--don't truncate that word!
A few years back, when I had my 996, I started a thread that was titled I blew a cat yesterday.... and someone posted the following pic with the caption "I found the cat...."

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to read that the alarm shown by our 2 "children" when I talk about this issue in abbreviated terminology is shared by others!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the same setup on my Targa4S a couple of years ago, and absolutely loved it. The sound was perfect around town in quiet mode, and raunchy in loud mode when wanted.

Quick Reply: AWE Cats + X-51 + PSE = Goodness