Roof transport system instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 AM
williaa68
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof transport system instructions

Hello,

I have just bought a roof transport system and bike carrier from a local guy. Having got it home I am not sure i can fit it without the instructions which the seller didnt have - long story but his son, who owned a 997, had a bad bike accident and is now paralysed. In the circumstances I dont want to go back and trouble him - could anyone tell me where i might access a set of instructions online or would some generous soul scan a set and PM them to me? Thanks very much in advance. Andrew
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM
BC-997
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be trading my Targa on Coupe in the next couple of weeks and if I do, I'll be purchasing a new roof rack from the dealer. The systems comes with a manual and I'd be happy to scan it for you. I looks like a similar system to my M3 rood rack; you adjust the towers to align them with the holes under the the little flip up cover on the roof rail. Tighten down with the special tool they give you and your all set. The bike attachments are pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.
Greg
Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the instructions if you want but it should be fairly easy to figure out. First you put on the 4 black metal blocks to the car then you bolt on the racks, the roof racks only bolt on one way and there should be an illustration under each attachment point.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have instructions to scan, but I'll describe the process step by step.

Open up all four of the little "doors" on your roof. Inside, you'll see a slotted screw. Remove the screw. DO NOT LOSE THE SCREWS. You'll want to put them back when you remove the racks.

Your rack set includes 4 foam pads, 1 pad for each mounting point. The pad fits around the opened roof slot. All 4 are the same - there's no right/left or front/back. The longest slot in the pad fits over the part of the "door" that's sticking up.

Then you have 4 metal blocks. Again, all 4 are the same. On one side there are two holes - on the other side one hole. Hopefully there is a bolt mounted in each block, on the single-hole side. If not, find the four bolts that are each 48mm long and insert one bolt into each block on the single hole side. There should be a black rubber washer - to keep the bolt in place - which slides or threads onto the bolt after you've inserted it.

Then bolt each block into the roof. Each one will only go on one way. The racks include an allen wrench that is sort of a torque wrench. Use it, tighten until the two litle arrows meet.

Now you're ready for the racks themselves. They're made to fit so there's no width adjustment necessary.

If you look underneath the rack, each bar should have a little diagram which shows which bar is front/back and which side is left/right. Put the bars on the roof, simply sitting on the blocks you previously installed

At the end of each rack is a plastic plug. Open it. Reach in with rack key, unlock lock. Pull the rack end out, away from the bar, as far as it will go.

Now. The metal piece the rack end is attached to has a hole, which should now be aligned with a bolt hole in the bar, which will correspond to one of the two open holes in the block underneath. The bolt should be there already. Reach through the hole with an allen wrench (hopefully you have the one included with the racks - tighten bolt. Repeat for all four corners. Racks are installed!

To install bike rack on the roof bars, assuming it's the factory rack, is also simple.

The front of rack is held by two bolts, which attach to a metal slider that fits inside the rack. Rear is same but only one bolt. Insert bolts through bike rack, bolt them to the sliders but leave the sliders loose. With the bar ends open, slide the sliders into the bar slots - slide rack into position - tighten bolts.

I assume previous owner has already cut the plastic/rubber strips that fit into the open channels on the top of the roof bars. Pop those into place. The racks will be VERY noisy if you leave the channels open.

Finally, close bar ends, lock them, remove key, replace the plastic plugs, back up, and admire your work.

DON'T LOSE THOSE DAMNED PLASTIC SCREWS FROM THE ROOF. I did, and in a year of trying my parts guy was never able to replace them. I was always afraid of getting water trapped in the roof if it rained when the racks were off. (My lease has since ended.)

Enjoy. Once attached the racks are VERY solid.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished product.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I don't have instructions to scan, but I'll describe the process step by step.

Open up all four of the little "doors" on your roof. Inside, you'll see a slotted screw. Remove the screw. DO NOT LOSE THE SCREWS. You'll want to put them back when you remove the racks.

Your rack set includes 4 foam pads, 1 pad for each mounting point. The pad fits around the opened roof slot. All 4 are the same - there's no right/left or front/back. CORRECTION: THE TWO FRONT PADS ARE SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN THE TWO REAR PADS. THE REAR PADS ARE DENOTED BY A SMALL HOLE IN THE PAD NEXT TO THE ORIENTATION DIRECTIONAL ARROW. THE ORIENTATION DIRECTIONAL ARROW DENOTES WHICH WAY THE PAD SHOULD BE ORIENTED TO FACE THE FRONT OF THE CAR The longest slot in the pad fits over the part of the "door" that's sticking up.

Then you have 4 metal blocks. Again, all 4 are the same. ADDITION: THESE SMALL METAL BLOCKS FIT INTO THE LARGER METAL 'BUTTRESSES'. INSTALL EACH SMALL METAL BLOCK AS PER THE FOLLOWING ORIGINAL TEXT AND THEN INSTALL THE LARGER BUTTRESSES ON TOP OF EACH BLOCK. THE REAR BUTTRESSES WILL HAVE A SLIGHTLY LARGER UNDERSIDE OPENING THAN THE FRONT. On THE TOP OF THESE SMALL BLOCKS there are two holes - on the BOTTOM, one hole. Hopefully there is a bolt mounted in each block, on the single-hole BOTTOM. If not, find the four bolts that are each 48mm long and insert one bolt into each block on the single hole side. There should be a black rubber washer - to keep the bolt in place - which slides or threads onto the bolt after you've inserted it.

Then bolt each block into the roof. Each one will only go on one way. The racks include an allen wrench that is sort of a torque wrench. Use it, tighten until the two little arrows meet. ADDITION: BOLT EACH BUTTRESS ONTO THE CORRESPONDING BLOCKS WHICH ARE NOW SECURED TO THE ROOF NOTING THAT THE BUTTRESSES WITH THE LARGER UNDERSIDE GO IN THE REAR MOUNTING POSITIONS.

Now you're ready for the racks themselves. They're made to fit so there's no width adjustment necessary.

If you look underneath the rack, each bar should have a little diagram which shows which bar is front/back and which side is left/right. Put the bars on the roof, simply sitting on the BUTTRESSES you previously installed

At the end of each rack is a plastic plug. Open it. Reach in with rack key, unlock lock. Pull the rack end out, away from the bar, as far as it will go.

Now. The metal piece the rack end is attached to has a hole, which should now be aligned with a bolt hole in the bar, which will correspond to one of the two open holes in the block underneath. The bolt should be there already. Reach through the hole with an allen wrench (hopefully you have the one included with the racks - tighten bolt. Repeat for all four corners. Racks are installed!

Finally, close bar ends, lock them, remove key, replace the plastic plugs, back up, and admire your work.

DON'T LOSE THOSE DAMNED PLASTIC SCREWS FROM THE ROOF. I did, and in a year of trying my parts guy was never able to replace them. I was always afraid of getting water trapped in the roof if it rained when the racks were off. (My lease has since ended.)

Enjoy. Once attached the racks are VERY solid.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
I purchased the 996/997 RTS from a fellow RL member and was looking for instructions when I came upon this thread. This is a very helpful step-by-step list here but there are a few errors and omissions I added notation for within the quoted text above, UNDERLINED AND/OR CAPITALIZED.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One thing left off on the instructions.....they fit tight and are be patient when installing.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIIW I have this rack and install is not hard. I covered my roof with a few bath towels to protect paint in case anything was dropped and used a dab of heavy marine grease in the holes. Great system.

Quick Reply: Roof transport system instructions