Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
5.65%
No issues with IMS
94.35%
Voters: 1663. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013 | 01:08 AM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATLDiver
As a person looking in the same range as you, my research shows there are some confirmed failures reported here and other boards but the numbers are very small compared to the smaller units. What's not conclusive is if this was the result of other issues resulting in the IMS failing, i.e. RMS leaking and owners not keeping up on maintenance.

The post early '05's still have the this cylinder wall issue that has caused problems hence why you still see LN Enginnering 'Nickels' talked about. In full disclosure, I'm not 100% positive on all this either just what I've pieced together from here and other sites. I talked to a good friend of mine that's owned two Boxsters, a '02 and a '07 and never had heard of these issues; nor had he had any problems. Take that for what's it worth.

The take away I have is that the IMS is an issue that plagues roughly 7% of 99-early '05's but I don't believe it's a big of an issue as some report. Some post '05's have had failures but its unclear as to what, if any, contributing factors were present.

Confused? Yep, so am I.
As far as I know there is no known direct cause to it. In other words no matter how you drive your p car no one really knows how an IMS "breakdown" can occur. I have had shops here in Austin say that people have had it happen that pamper their cars and other people have had it happen that drive the car hard.( I had an 03 996 so did my research then)

There is no set mileage that IMS can occur.

So question still remains, how many 997's has it happened to in the 06-08 range? (trying to stay on subject of my question - too many people will start to speculate on triggers of IMS issues)
Old 09-10-2013 | 02:56 AM
Kero
Intermediate

Very helpful. Thank you
Old 09-10-2013 | 07:17 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

I am surprised to see that there have been reported IMS failures in the revised bearings. On 6speed, the OP went back to each that had claimed this. There were maybe three or four listed and he could not confirm a single one. I also believe the 7% number is arbitrarily much, much higher than reality. Where does that number come from?
Old 09-10-2013 | 07:45 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by atx.911
I too am thinking about buying a 997 06-08. Do we have any confirmed failures for 997's 06-08 ? I tried reading the entire thread but started getting headaches from my concussion..long story for another thread.
I do not believe there have been any confirmed failures of the larger replacement bearings. Since everyone who has posted on this thread will likely receive an update, can I ask the following:

If your 997 had the larger, non replaceable factory IMS bearings that Porsche installed in all post early 2005 997s and your car had an IMS failure, can you please respond? A VIN number would be helpful, if you can dig one up from your old paperwork (if you cannot locate the VIN, your insurance agent might still have your it).

It's worth a try... To the OP, is this OK to have in here or should this be a separate topic? My thought in having it in here is it should reach the vast majority of those who have posted and not changed their email addresses.
Old 09-10-2013 | 06:02 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Sure, leave it here. If people post a failure I always ask for the car and engine number. Sometimes people are not that great about giving details. The point of the poll is not to give a true percentage of failures but to give a sense that it's not 50% failures and it's not 0.5% failures. This is far from a scientific poll.

There have been very few failures stated here in the list (use the search function) of the larger bearing but it's difficult to say 100% for sure that it was the IMS root cause as when the engine is trashed sometimes it's difficult to root-cause the failure.

Usually, when people do have a failure people are reticent to talk about it because they feel bad about it and of course the first questions people will ask are "did you money-shift it?" or "did you run it out of coolant" etc. So, it's tough to get details.
Old 09-10-2013 | 06:46 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Sure, leave it here. If people post a failure I always ask for the car and engine number. Sometimes people are not that great about giving details. The point of the poll is not to give a true percentage of failures but to give a sense that it's not 50% failures and it's not 0.5% failures. This is far from a scientific poll.

There have been very few failures stated here in the list (use the search function) of the larger bearing but it's difficult to say 100% for sure that it was the IMS root cause as when the engine is trashed sometimes it's difficult to root-cause the failure.

Usually, when people do have a failure people are reticent to talk about it because they feel bad about it and of course the first questions people will ask are "did you money-shift it?" or "did you run it out of coolant" etc. So, it's tough to get details.
Thanks and it is a great thread! I had never heard the term "Money Shift" before, what a dreadful term!
Old 09-12-2013 | 09:41 PM
whiteryder
Track Day

I replaced the engine in my 997.1 C2 at about 51k miles. No symptoms except for a tiny oil leak; as the shop dismantled things to find the source of the leak they discovered play in the crankshaft. I could have had them tear the engine down to find out the problem, but would have had to replace it in any case so decided not to pay for the additional labor. Downside is that we don't know for sure what the cause was, but it wasn't the IMS. (Unfortunately, or I'd be able to recoup some costs via the class action suit.)
Old 09-12-2013 | 09:47 PM
Orion03
Track Day

How much did that replacement engine cost? did you get $ back from your old engine?
Old 09-12-2013 | 10:03 PM
whiteryder
Track Day

IIRC the crate engine from Porsche w/included 2-yr warranty was about $16k. Plus labor, plus I had the clutch replaced, etc - close to $20k all told. Fortunately I'd bought the car used and got a great deal... so that made it just a so-so deal. But that's the only problem I've had (albeit a biggie), and she's still a beaut so I have no regrets. We're off next week for five days straight at VIR, and you can bet I'll wear out long before she does.
Old 09-12-2013 | 10:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

what year is your car? c2 so i assume its the 3.6L engine?

glad to hear your ride is back on the road

Originally Posted by whiteryder
I replaced the engine in my 997.1 C2 at about 51k miles. No symptoms except for a tiny oil leak; as the shop dismantled things to find the source of the leak they discovered play in the crankshaft. I could have had them tear the engine down to find out the problem, but would have had to replace it in any case so decided not to pay for the additional labor. Downside is that we don't know for sure what the cause was, but it wasn't the IMS. (Unfortunately, or I'd be able to recoup some costs via the class action suit.)
Old 09-13-2013 | 12:13 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Tiny oil leak and the engine was dismantled ??? Need more detail - most cars develop tiny leaks at some point.
Old 09-13-2013 | 05:06 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Wow, Seacoast's post makes me sick! Glad it was recoverable.
Old 09-13-2013 | 05:10 PM
c4speedster996
Track Day

Default no failure

No failure 2007 turbo
Old 09-16-2013 | 07:48 AM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

Mine was built on 03/2005 with updated bearing. Anyone from 2005 with updated bearing has ims failure?
Old 09-21-2013 | 06:39 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

05 C2S, no failure.

Quick Reply: IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)