Sponsored by:

Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
Love my MPSSs from Damon, especially coupled with my new (to me) HRE P40s. Did the changeover from snow tires in my driveway, one hour job (tops). Only a few dozen miles on the tires so far but seem quiet (compared to the old PS2s) and grippy. Doing a 300 mi round trip to Manchester, VT this weekend for the NER Porsche Ramble. Should be a great way to break in the tires!
nice wheels.

we need to focus more on the load ratings.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997
As luck would have it, I'm due for a set of tires. I was at my Porsche dealer, yesterday, and they said that they could get Pilot Super Sports, in N-spec, for my car (an 09 C4S) but that the tires would be $2417 plus installation and balancing. The Tire Rack price is more like $1490 for the non-N-spec. Last year, when I got my first set of replacements, the dealer charged me the Tire Rack prices for the tires. I just talked to Tire Rack and they say that Michelin won't have the N-specs anytime soon - which is consistent with "next year."

So, I suppose that I should just have Tire Rack drop ship the non-N-spec Super Sports and be done with it? Then, next year when I need tires, the N-spec ones should be out. I'm doubting that the $900 extra my dealer wants would really get me the right tires
I'd be a little skeptical. If your dealer is right, it appears that he's the only reported source for an N-rated PSS. TireRack says there aren't any yet - that the the PSS will be N-rated for the 991 (when it finally arrives) and doesn't yet know if they will be rated for the 997.

Your dealer's price sounds like they might be talking about PS2's, since that's not far from what I was recently quoted by a dealer for PS2 N2's. Or perhaps the PS Cups, since that price sounds about right for PSCs. When I asked my dealer about Super Sports, he was confused and thought that I was talking about the Cups.

I have a set of (non-N) PSS's on my car. I only have a couple of hundred miles but so far, so good. No track time on them yet. I burned through a set of PS2's on my new in less than two months (5 track days, 2 AX) so I'm hoping Michelin's claims of increased mileage for the PSS is accurate!

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Last edited by DMoore; 04-30-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I decided to have Tire Rack drop ship the PSSs to my dealer. When I wear them out (probably about a year), I'll see if there are N-spec ones by then. My C4S is a daily driver - I drive about 20k/year - and I've been autocrossing it. So, tires don't last all that long

Scott
09 C4S
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 109 Posts

Any other reviews on these? Particularly ride quality as compared to the OEM N-Spec tires would be great!

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:57 AM
lleguizamo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After almost 500 miles, the tires are just as quiet and seems to respond sharper in the corners. These tires are very predictable which is what you want. I took an offramp at 46 mph and it was rated for 20 mph with ease. I could have push it even more but decided to just leave at that. Once they dig in, they don't move from the line you are holding. The steering stays right where you hold it and doesn't drift or move. Very predictable. I think these tires are great. I will update when I get to 1000 miles.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Guys...don't get all wrapped up in N Spec tires. I've been running NON-N Spec tires on both my Carrera S and Cayenne S for years. None of us track rats run N Spec tires. We've had ZERO issues with NON-Spec tires and there is no need to run N Spec tires.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Guys...don't get all wrapped up in N Spec tires. I've been running NON-N Spec tires on both my Carrera S and Cayenne S for years. None of us track rats run N Spec tires. We've had ZERO issues with NON-Spec tires and there is no need to run N Spec tires.
+100.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Mike, do you know if PSM/ABS will go crazy from NT01 tires in 245/315 as those fronts have bigger diameter than rears? it will be like 25.55"f/25.35"r - pretty close but still not what it should be.
have anybody tried this combo with no issues with 997 cars electronic brains?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had the PS2's N1 spec put on my 2008 997S and am getting the impression that those are in limited supply. Damon, are those going to be phased out in favor of N2s or N-rated PS2s?

Quick Reply: Michelin Super Sports