Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Interiors: Satisfied?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
awai08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the 987/997 interiors since they debuted in late '04, but will probably like as much or more the new interior of the 991. The worst Porsche could have done was to keep everything the same. That would be boring. The spy pic looks like Porsche is moving the game on, with nuances of old and a healthy whiff of something new and inspirational.

Originally Posted by Carrara
I love the 997's interior. It's simple, and perfect.

About the 991's interior, it is more complicated, but before you make any assumptions that its going to be bloated and overloaded, take a look at this spyshot. The slope of the console is very elegant, and fits the PCM perfectly, where as with the Panamera and Cayenne, the slop stops abruptly for the PCM. It looks like there are a lot of buttons, the center console is actually a lot slimmer than on the Panamera, in effect, creating less room for much more buttons. The area over the gauges is more open, and it seems that there will be wood/alcantara/carbon/aluminum interior packages as on the Panamera, where the style strips in the interior stay aluminum, but have the package in contrast. It also looks like with the manual transmission, the gear shift will be closer to the steering wheel allowing for faster gear changes. And umm... Where's the handbrake? Is it electronic?

As of right now, I'm not sure I like it better than the 997's simplistic interior.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awai08
I liked the 987/997 interiors since they debuted in late '04, but will probably like as much or more the new interior of the 991. The worst Porsche could have done was to keep everything the same. That would be boring. The spy pic looks like Porsche is moving the game on, with nuances of old and a healthy whiff of something new and inspirational.
electric parking brake!. i really dislike the parking brake on cayenne.. needs to be more ferrari like.

it should auto engage when car turned off, and auto disengage when brake applied with car on.

and have manual override..

its always sticking and u gotta give it gas or it tries to put itself in "hold" mode.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 937 Posts

I rented a 997 in Europe last fall for a week, and I really liked the interior. It was a nice upgrade from my 996. I think that having the full-leather interior is a nice upgrade in the 997 and the 996, but I agree that it doesn't feel as special as some other cars. One of the guys on our drive on that trip had an Aston Martin Vantage. That car was like sex on wheels. The interior had so much stitched leather that it felt like it was custom made specifically for the owner. It truly felt like it was hand-crafted. I'd love to see the 991 offer that kind of a feeling.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Power Play
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels about right to me...

I've got a 2006 997 with full leather, 6 MT and sports steering wheel and it feels about right to me. The look is definitely classic 911 which I greatly enjoy and the materials are pretty good; I'd say they're way ahead of my recent Benz but a step behind my recent Bimmer. The quality of the leather is sweet and the stitching is beautiful.

Only real snowjob is the analog speedo; no way I can read incriments in the "real world" portion of this bad-boy so I need to rely soley on the digital readout.

I suspect the next generation interior will offer superior design and quality, just as we've seen in the Cayenne. Nonetheless, some of us old duffers will continue to appreciate the classic style for years to come....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm completely satisfied with my `06 C2S interior, however, would like to have and prefer the new interior (Panamera) in my Cayenne. Has me contemplating selling the `05 CS and buying one of the new redesigned trucks.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Coming from the 993 & 996, I love the lay out & materials of the 997's
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
I can distinctly remember getting it to the drivers seat for the first time in the 997, looking around and my very first thought being "Wow, the M5 interior is much more luxurious and has better quality finishes.........I expected the 997 to blow it away" Bear in mind too that my 997 is full leather. After a little more time in the 997 I came to realize that the porsche interior is all about function......elegance by virtue of simplicity. I think it is classy, and I have come to appreciate that they do for the most part have very high grade materials.
I agree about the first impression. Coming from testing cars with an emphasis on tactile and audio luxury, it is a bit surprising. Until I remembered what a Porsche is all about. Went by a truck scale out of curiosity and my well-equipped 997.2 weighs only 3160 lb with all fluids and a generous set of options. This month's Excellence has an article about the lightweight Cayman R that dumps all sorts of routine options, even essential ones in our area like air conditioning, and the R is still hauling around an extra half pound per horsepower compared to our completely stock C2S. I didn't check, but I imagine the lightweight variants of the Carrera shed an extra half pound per horsepower at least. It all adds up.

Took me a couple of months to realize what it reminded me of -- going from those other cars to the Porsche I mean -- it reminds me of going from a commercial freight vessel -- a big boat that is -- to an aircraft. Any aircraft really, but as someone said, fighter aircraft are the quintessential example. Function counts and durability in normal use is important, but within that constraint the lighter the better -- and every blessed part is looked at to see how it can be made lighter and still survive military service. Ditto Porsches. Or at least Carreras, all of which are designed to roll onto a race track with no more preparation than paying your lunch check and grabbing your keys. Those other cars? Like boats. What's an extra pound here and there?

I like my interior.

Gary
Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i really dislike the parking brake on cayenne......
it....... should have manual override..
It does. Push the switch to engage, pull it to disengage.

Quick Reply: 997 Interiors: Satisfied?