Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad DME results: How bad is a "4"in the first 13hrs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad DME results: How bad is a "4"in the first 13hrs?

Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2007C with 16,800 miles with CPO. Heard whining from engine area. Tech diagnosed as bad throwout bearing. I was sceptical but demanded they replace the rest of the clutch assembly if they were going to take out the transmission. The tech got into the clutch and discovered 75%disc gone. At this point I did what I should have done much earlier and asked for a DME read out. The results made me nauseous: At 13.2hrs of operation, 108 firings in range 4: at 406hrs, 212 firings in range 3; at 539hrs, 832 in range 2, at 549 3800hrs, in range 1. What should I make of this? What should I expect from a car with this history? I am pretty distraught about it and don't understand why the porsche certification standards should allow the certification of a car having a burned out clutch and and an abused engine.

What should I expect from this car going forward or at least watch out for? Excessive oil consumption? engine failure sooner rather than later? thanks for your opinions.Just don't say we told you so about waiting to request the DME
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^Sorry, I don't mean this sarcastically but have you done a search (e.g. DME, Over revs, report, analysis)? I've read a number of threads with posts by those that know a whole lot more than I do about the implications of DME reports and how to interpret them. Some people here might even do the search for you and provide a link. It's late and I'm just too tired to do more than make this suggestion.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

I have seen some of these threads but am have not seen much on the possible long term effects of over revs. Also, it seems in my case that aside from a misshift at hour 13 most of the high revs may have occurred when this car was in the hands of the dealer. is this a car that might have been tracked or just driven hard a few days? Thanks,
Old 04-23-2011, 02:08 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you servicing the car from the dealer that conducted the CPO? If so, that will help. I bought my 06 C2S in January and looked at DME report-outs from many cars prior to purchase. I found one car across the country that I really liked, but saw significant igintions in Range 4. I called my local service manager and read him the numbers over the phone. He told me not to buy that car and said that if anything happened, the Porsche district rep would not honor the warranty due to abuse - even if it happened prior to being CPOd! Of course this was his opinion, but was based on past experiences. I was shocked to find out that there is little conformity in the term "CPO" from dealer to dealer...

With all that said, many people don't worry too much about the DME numbers and argue that these are strong engines. They have a point. Your car is CPOd, and it is clear that the ignitions happened long before you owned it. The fixes should be covered, but you will need to be vigilant over the remaining months of CPO to stay on top of any engine issues. At the end of the CPO, you might consider weighing your options of either selling the car or keeping it...

Good luck and let us know what happens.

-Blake
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
With all that said, many people don't worry too much about the DME numbers and argue that these are strong engines. They have a point. Your car is CPOd, and it is clear that the ignitions happened long before you owned it. The fixes should be covered,
Wait.....you just said this:

He told me not to buy that car and said that if anything happened, the Porsche district rep would not honor the warranty due to abuse - even if it happened prior to being CPOd! Of course this was his opinion, but was based on past experiences. I was shocked to find out that there is little conformity in the term "CPO" from dealer to dealer...
Almost impossible to believe that a dealership would refuse to honor a warranty claim on a CPO car due to abuse that happened prior to the car being CPO'd. Has anyone heard of this actually happening? If it does happen, why would anyone pay $2K for CPO?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/8327284-post11.html

About the CPO the instructions to the dealer are as follows:

"Before starting engine repairs and submitting a warranty claim or granting a pre-owned car warranty:
In the event of overspeed events in range 4 – 6, we recommend that you contact the Technical Hotline before starting repairs or granting a pre-owned car warranty in order to find out how to proceed and agree on warranty entitlements.
"

So if a car appeared with over revs in ranges 4-6 and Porsche approved the extension of warranty with a CPO then they cannot deny future repairs based on the same over rev event that was previously accepted as non important..

As a double safety you can always ask for a printout of the VAL with the exact hours / over revs to have it for your records. : )
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JLHendrix
Two weeks ago, I purchased a 2007C with 16,800 miles with CPO. Heard whining from engine area. Tech diagnosed as bad throwout bearing. I was sceptical but demanded they replace the rest of the clutch assembly if they were going to take out the transmission. The tech got into the clutch and discovered 75%disc gone. At this point I did what I should have done much earlier and asked for a DME read out. The results made me nauseous: At 13.2hrs of operation, 108 firings in range 4: at 406hrs, 212 firings in range 3; at 539hrs, 832 in range 2, at 549 3800hrs, in range 1. What should I make of this? What should I expect from a car with this history? I am pretty distraught about it and don't understand why the porsche certification standards should allow the certification of a car having a burned out clutch and and an abused engine.

What should I expect from this car going forward or at least watch out for? Excessive oil consumption? engine failure sooner rather than later? thanks for your opinions.Just don't say we told you so about waiting to request the DME
Doesn't do much good to worry about it now - if the car runs OK don't obsess over the DME report. If it really bothers you, sell it and start over...with a good PPI before you buy. I have a 997TT CPO with revs in ranges 1-4. They happened early in the life of the car. I bought the car with that knowledge. Just turned over 20,,000 miles - no oil use, no leaks, no strange noises and car runs great.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Interestingly, the tech who certified the car for the dealer seems less concerned about the early 4 range revs (108 at 13hrs) than the most recent 3800range 1 revs occurring at 539 hrs. He thinks that any problems from the early misshift would have manifested itself before now. He is concerned about the Range 1 overrevs because it appears that these occurred after he certified the car but before I drove it off the lot. A wayward salesman or test driver. Does 3800 in range 1 do much t diminish the value of the car? I am not sure why I should have to take any hit in the value of this car because of something the dealer's employee or another test driver did.

Since I have a now have new clutch and the car drives well, I am going to do as one of you suggested and drive it under the CPO with an eye toward trading at the end of the CPO. Not the way I had envisioned my Porsche experience.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

range 1 are ok, don't worry about them.

The car is fine, have a great Easter weekend
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Thanks John and others as well. As you have intuited, the timing of reassurance can be key in the treatment of obsessive patients.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:28 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

The range 3 and 4 over revs could have caused pistons and valves to crash. It would appear however that it didn't happen. This occured hundreds of hours ago and if there were bent valves or piston damage it would almost certainly have become evident long ago. Range 1 and 2 are nothing to worry about. Enjoy your car, it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Bad DME results: How bad is a "4"in the first 13hrs?