Sponsored by:

Another Centerlock Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 PM
RDF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Centerlock Question

New guy here. Currently driving an M3, but I'm considering purchase of a GTS. I think I've read all the posts concerning the centerlock wheels. For those of you who have replaced tires, have you found tire shops (other than a Porsche dealer) that can/will do the tire mount and balance? I appreciate the precautions with removing and reinstalling the wheels on the car, but if I can get them off, are there any special tools or fittings required for the mounting & balancing?

Bob
Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

No difference at all from the perspective of a tire shop.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just make sure they have the tool to spin on the hub, so when removing your wheels, they don't bump your rotors or calipers. I bought one to use at home, and would just take it for a non-Porsche tire dealer/installer to have when working on your car.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RDF
New guy here. Currently driving an M3, but I'm considering purchase of a GTS. I think I've read all the posts concerning the centerlock wheels. For those of you who have replaced tires, have you found tire shops (other than a Porsche dealer) that can/will do the tire mount and balance? I appreciate the precautions with removing and reinstalling the wheels on the car, but if I can get them off, are there any special tools or fittings required for the mounting & balancing?

Bob
Funny you should ask. My GTS will be two months old in a few days - and I just had a replacement set of tires installed two days ago. (5 track days, 2 AX, and all 4 tires were gone.) I installed a set of Pilot Super Sports.

The tire shop I've used for 20 years doesn't have a big enough torque wrench or torque multiplier to install the CL nuts. They said they'd swap my tires if I bring in the tools for them! I just wasn't comfortable with their unfamiliarity with the concept so I took the car an independent Porsche turner/race shop locally and had the work done there. It cost an extra $100 but worth it for peace of mind. I need to buy the Porsche breaker bar (Suncoast Parts) to carry in the car for emergencies.

Removing/installing is the only issue with the CLs. Tire installation and balancing is the same as any other wide, low profile tire.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy a 4' long torque wrench from Tooltopia.com for about $300. Still surprising that your tire dealer does not have one. It is the same type torque wrench as you would use to remove and install lug nuts on an industrial truck.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
You can buy a 4' long torque wrench from Tooltopia.com for about $300. Still surprising that your tire dealer does not have one. It is the same type torque wrench as you would use to remove and install lug nuts on an industrial truck.
Will the wrench fit in the boot...and does it weigh more than the CL weight reduction?

Quick Reply: Another Centerlock Question