Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Drives

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011 | 01:58 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Default Short Drives

I drive my c2s to work everyday, though its only a 2 mile trek in stoplight traffic mostly. I have been pretty busy recently so I haven't driven it for a longer period of time. Any problems I could encounter long term if this is its main use right now. I almost feel like I am abusing the car by not letting it go for a run once in awhile.
Old 04-21-2011 | 02:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You are actually doing more damage to the engine than you realize. The modern combustion engine relies upon getting seriously hot in order to burn off all the water vapor that accumulates inside the engine when it is at rest. The first sign that you are causing the build up of sludge inside your engine can be seen by removing the oil filler cap. If you see yellowish pasty stuff on the inside of the cap then you are truly never getting the engine up to temp. I believe Porsche started putting stainless steel mufflers on their cars several years ago because so many of today's Porsche buyers are simply not driving them enough--and getting them up to temp. As a result, they would rust from the inside out. You should change your oil at least twice a year with that style of driving. Even though you are busy, try to take the time on the weekends to stretch its legs. You don't have to speed or anything like that--just drive it for an hour or more.
Old 04-21-2011 | 02:43 PM
Skibum
Banned

Also.. once you do take it for a drive and get it up to temp for a while, don't be shocked if it looks like you used a lot of oil.
You're actually burning off stuff that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 04-21-2011 | 03:03 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Would it be better just to take it on long drives on the weekend and keep in the garage during the week. Maybe I should just take it for a 30 minute drive on the highway after work? I live in downtown Chicago and that is the reality of the life out here.
Old 04-21-2011 | 03:22 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Would it be better just to take it on long drives on the weekend and keep in the garage during the week. Maybe I should just take it for a 30 minute drive on the highway after work? I live in downtown Chicago and that is the reality of the life out here.
Given your commute (or lack thereof) that's exactly what U should do if you care for your car and/or it's next owner.
Old 04-21-2011 | 03:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by islandtrader
That sounds like a good idea. If my daily commute consisted of just a 2 mile drive in stop and go traffic, I wouldn't be doing it in my Porsche.
Old 04-21-2011 | 03:47 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Should I move to the burbs, LOL. I guess I should buy some beater for the city than, the city driving is rough on these cars, hard to maneuver as well. My garage is my work building has curbs that will slice tires like no other. I do take the baby out on some spirited drives on the weekend. Weekend car it is, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-21-2011 | 04:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I really wouldn't worry about it if you could at least take it for nice, long drives on weekends. However, if you absolutely can't stretch it out on weekends, then maybe best is to get another car for your shorter commutes and make this weekend car.

I am *almost* the same, difference being, I walk to work and then I use my car daily for shorter commutes for errands, dinners, etc... and then weekends for longer trips. The best indication is after doing a track day, my car is at least 10% faster! The difference is totally noticable, I just did a track day on Monday and now my car is just another animal... all of that full throttle completely cleared the crap out of my engine!
Old 04-21-2011 | 04:12 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

You also need to seriously consider the lenght of your oil change interval. Shorter would be better.
Old 04-21-2011 | 06:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Get a battery maintainer or your battery will be dead in 3yrs or less - don't know for sure how well the CTEKs solve that problem, but I will in another 2 yrs.
Old 04-21-2011 | 07:28 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Buy a bike dude. All the cool kids are doing it.
You'll probably get to work faster and you'll get a little bonus workout too.
Old 04-21-2011 | 07:38 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevepow
Get a battery maintainer or your battery will be dead in 3yrs or less - don't know for sure how well the CTEKs solve that problem, but I will in another 2 yrs.
+1, I was going to say, don't forget about the battery, short drives like this kills the battery quick. My wife has about a mile commute to work, and another mile back. She's on her second battery in 3 years time.
Old 04-21-2011 | 09:01 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

I really think you should check the optimate product line. Super simple to use you can keep that battery for the next 10 years. It charges et cleans up (desulfating action) that battery all done automatically. Bike guys really do know their batteries...

http://www.tecmate.com/optimate4_detail.php
Old 04-21-2011 | 11:05 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevepow
+2. I don't know the exact science, but the battery of my wife's two years new Mercedes just died.

She majorly just drives that car a couple miles, between home and office, everyday. Of course, in those two miles she also turns on the A/C, headlights, heated seat, the Command system, and that nice surround sound stereo. I know, I know...

Luckily, the battery was covered under warranty, her Mercedes dealer gave her another Mercedes as loaner car and took good care of the whole experience. Yet, it was still inconvenient at the least.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Short Drives