Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cars have the best paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Mariog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped in at the body shop at Omaha Porcshe in Nebraska last week while on business and picked up some complimentary touch up paint (Carmon Red). They are a Porsche Audi dealer and do other cars and he mentioned that they chaged all of their paint to the German Porsche paint supplier as it was the higher quality paint and it was easier to just keep one brand due to application differences, etc. Now everyone gets the "Porsche" paint.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The paint on my BMW 535 is the worst I have seen on any of the new cars I have owned. I know that it is difficult to avoid orange peel these days but this car is really bad. Further, in the trunk area, they disd not even apply clear coat I know this area is not normally seen but jeez .......on $50K car. Also the color ( dark gray) on the hood is really blotchy. Our MB and Porsche have good quality paint and the Audi A6 I had, had the best paint job of any car I owned. Our Passat also has a very good paint job.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think P's paint is above avg. It is soft tho not as soft as Ferrari's. I best paint I've CONSISTENTLY seen is Aston.
BTW dont laugh, but the paint on the Hyundai Sonata is very good.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:26 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And scratches like nothing else too. Softest paint I've ever had on a car. Wiping it dry with a bath towel after a wash can cause problems, at least on a black car.
I agree....

Best paint on any recent cars I've had has been on a 06 Ford Freestyle... It's an amazing finish... Worst paint I've had on a car was an 04 Mustang GT conv.
Loved the car but really disappointed with the paint... It held up quite well but the original application was not very good.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Mariog
AutoX

A lot of the perception about the paint is the look more than the actual paint quality. If you have a poor paint process you can get "orange peel" etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:01 PM
pcostinha
Track Day

The best paint I ever seen (and feel with one CLS) was in MB. If I compare the marks that I´ve had to date (MB, AUDI, PORSCHE).
I have no doubt that the best is the MB. These new paintings (I think since 2005) have the particularity of being applied to nanoparticles which in practice is not to detect the micro risks that normally appear in metallic paints. The painting will move to fill those risks after some time.
The car remains very bright for another year without having to apply wax or other materials.
Attention that now I don't have a MB car but is my experience.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MB does quality paint application but very easy to chip since the use of water based paints. Most brands suffer from this problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariog
A lot of the perception about the paint is the look more than the actual paint quality. If you have a poor paint process you can get "orange peel" etc.
Well of course. The paints used by german manufacturers (PPG, glasurit/BASF, etc) are all high quality.

But just as with many other things, how you prep and apply makes the difference.

A car with a ton of orange peel will never look as crisp as one with very little).

I also don't think that MB's nano paint is terribly amazing at scratch resistance, although it is is a brutal biatch to correct.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think your factory paint job is good, go to a car show where there are some classic cars or hot rods that have had $$$$$ paint jobs. The difference is incredible.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 296 Posts

I've never seen a better paint finish than Porsche.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

of the "mass produced" cars I think Porsche's paint quality is excellent.

Rolls Royce and the specialty Bentleys (Arnage, Brooklands, etc) are far better, but those aren't really mass produced cars. the Bentley Continental range (which IMO is mass produced) is on par with Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

the worst paint I've ever seen on a new car was a Ferrari 458.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
of the "mass produced" cars I think Porsche's paint quality is excellent.

Rolls Royce and the specialty Bentleys (Arnage, Brooklands, etc) are far better, but those aren't really mass produced cars. the Bentley Continental range (which IMO is mass produced) is on par with Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

the worst paint I've ever seen on a new car was a Ferrari 458.
Come on already! WORST PAINT YOU HAVE EVER SEEN was on a 458??!?!

Best paint for the premium brands (outside Bentley, Rolls), is definitely Aston Martin!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Come on already! WORST PAINT YOU HAVE EVER SEEN was on a 458??!?!

Best paint for the premium brands (outside Bentley, Rolls), is definitely Aston Martin!
yeah, I'm serious. and it's been on multiple cars, too. I'm not sure what the problem is (the worst offender was a "paint to order" car so that might be part of the problem). I wonder what the boys in Maranello are doing...

I would agree, AM has great paint, I forgot about them.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I also don't think that MB's nano paint is terribly amazing at scratch resistance, although it is is a brutal biatch to correct.
Having just polished my parents 08 E Class I can completely agree with this statement. Results were excellent but deeper scratches were really hard to correct.

I've removed light swirls from my Spyder by hand so it's definitely soft.

Both cars have orange peel but the Porsche is definitely more obvious than the MB. Still the application of the Porsche paint looks more uniform which could be due to the colors (Porsche is Basalt Black, MB is Sienna Black).
Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

We have an Audi A8L in our fleet as well, and I find that the paint on the Audi rivals Porsche without question....and in some cases, is far better.

My Guards Red Porsches were awesome paint jobs. Arctic, good, but not as good as in the past. Spent a good bit of time with Rejex and various other products to get it where it should be, and now it's fine.

But out of the box, our Audi had equal or better paint than Porsche.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: What cars have the best paint?