Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy it?... scenario

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011 | 04:10 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

Default Would you buy it?... scenario

Hypothetical scenario - you are looking for a PDK C2S 997.2 used... you find one which is a good price BUT the PDK tranny was swapped early on (not unusual from what I've read here)

Now you have to decide - Get a good deal on this car but suffer in resale value when potential buyers hear that the PDK was changed. It will scare off a lot of could be buyers.

I'm not too keen on the swap myself but I think I could accept it considering the discounted price factor

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:21 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

PDK changed under warranty? no issue. Do you plan on getting an extended warranty ? You should not sweat the resale; you should try to get the best possible price now and enjoy the ride....keep it maintained and stay educated on any other 997.2 "issues" when you do go to sell it. An intelligent Pcar buyer would understand; a regular shmoe, unless he asks or finds out, you don't reveal the info.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:21 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

i'm not sure why so many people are averse to (major) systems being swapped early in the car's life. to me this means almost 100 likely that it was a factory defect and not abuse. and it's not like theyre replacing it with "the same crappy part" that will fail again - the PDK might have a bug here or there, but it's a proven monster. so as long as it's replaced by a reputable installer, i'm confused why so many see it as a blemish.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:31 PM
kosmo
Race Director

not a problem for me.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I don't see any problem with a car that's had a factory component, even a major one, replaced by a reputable installer. Depending on why it happened (ie car has not been abused meaning other parts aren't at risk too) getting a new part is an advantage, not a disadvantage. What does confuse me is how you came to the conclusion that having PDK replaced is "not unusual from what I've read here". While there have been a couple of instances of people on this board having serious trouble with their PDKs requiring replacement, the vast majority including myself, have had zero problems. Getting a PDK replaced is very unusual.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:59 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't see any problem with a car that's had a factory component, even a major one, replaced by a reputable installer. Depending on why it happened (ie car has not been abused meaning other parts aren't at risk too) getting a new part is an advantage, not a disadvantage. What does confuse me is how you came to the conclusion that having PDK replaced is "not unusual from what I've read here". While there have been a couple of instances of people on this board having serious trouble with their PDKs requiring replacement, the vast majority including myself, have had zero problems. Getting a PDK replaced is very unusual.

fair enough - I probably could have said "not unheard of"
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:24 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

I like the feedback so far and I'm glad to hear other members with the same viewpoint on this issue

BTW this particular car is at Gossett Motors in TN
http://gossett.porschedealer.com/pre...81469/info.php
Old 04-18-2011 | 06:35 PM
rtraviator
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sjinto
suffer in resale value
Who cares what the resale value is... these cars aren't investments. They depreciate instantly, just about more than any other vehicle on the road. If you're looking for resale value, may I suggest maybe a Honda.

Last edited by rtraviator; 04-18-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2011 | 10:08 PM
peterm
Racer

someone already took the depreciation hit- how did you determine the pdk was exchanged?
likley when you trade the car out porsche dealerships will know but not penalize you - other brands will not have the information as it should not show up on carfax etc.

BTW i had an 2002 c4s with tip that faulted at less than 100 miles the dealership had a new tranny fedexed and in 2 days i had the car back with a new new transmission! Nobody would really care- its not akin to accident damage
Old 04-18-2011 | 11:14 PM
sjinto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peterm
someone already took the depreciation hit- how did you determine the pdk was exchanged?
It was originally purchased and serviced at the current dealership... the salesperson told me that it was the only major service issue that came up... I give him kudos for letting me know upfront before I saw it in the service records
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:42 PM
dc88
Instructor

Not an issue unless shows up on car fax, car proof....then I will reconsider due to potential resale issue.

Ask for copies of these reports from this dealer and if it does not appear, go for it!

Unlikely to show up later...correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:50 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2K996MIA
PDK changed under warranty? no issue. Do you plan on getting an extended warranty ? You should not sweat the resale; you should try to get the best possible price now and enjoy the ride....keep it maintained and stay educated on any other 997.2 "issues" when you do go to sell it. An intelligent Pcar buyer would understand; a regular shmoe, unless he asks or finds out, you don't reveal the info.
Not be sensitive here, but I'm disapointed to read that you would not reveal this info to the next buyer...

PDK replace not for me, this is not a "normal" problem.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

It wouldn't bother me if everything else looked good...
Old 04-20-2011 | 01:50 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

With only 6500 miles my PDK transmission will be changed next week under warranty

My car is a C4S, 2009

I don't like this, but on the other hand, I will now have a new transmission since next week. It's like getting a partial new car !
Old 04-20-2011 | 02:33 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

My Jaguar XKR was one of the first to be produced and in the course of its first two years it needed replacement brakes, steering, suspension and just after the handbrake came off in my hand the engine finally blew up (the gearbox was fine - it was bought in from Germany).

For the next 4 years before I sold the car it ran like a dream and I never stressed about all the replacement work. Just put it down to teething troubles and British workmanship (relax, I'm a Brit).

"Your friend" shouldn't blink twice before buying your hypothetical car, even if it turned out to be real, and especially if it's priced to sell. Go for it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy it?... scenario