Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering sometimes goes "dead"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default power steering sometimes goes "dead"?

2 times in the past year, my power steering has gone "dead" (well maybe not "dead" like trying to turn wheel when car is off, but def much harder in general to steer and control around turns) during a drive. both times it has been right after hitting a small pavement dip at a relatively fast speed. note that this dip wasnt enough to cause damage/significantly bottom out the car, but definitely enough to scrape the front bumper slightly/compress the suspension harshly, etc.

and FYI i hit these same pavement dips on a regular basis without incident for the most part. i also track a lot and never had this incident on the track.

soooo, the steering goes numb/difficult until i turn off car and turn on again, as if the system needed to...reboot...? i've searched on here and the only thing i could come up with was a suggestion about air in the system maybe? could harsh bumps be producing a "burp" in the system or maybe some blockage that isnt flushed until restart/startup?

anyone else experience this?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
2 times in the past year, my power steering has gone "dead" (well maybe not "dead" like trying to turn wheel when car is off, but def much harder in general to steer and control around turns) during a drive. both times it has been right after hitting a small pavement dip at a relatively fast speed. note that this dip wasnt enough to cause damage/significantly bottom out the car, but definitely enough to scrape the front bumper slightly/compress the suspension harshly, etc.

and FYI i hit these same pavement dips on a regular basis without incident for the most part. i also track a lot and never had this incident on the track.

soooo, the steering goes numb/difficult until i turn off car and turn on again, as if the system needed to...reboot...? i've searched on here and the only thing i could come up with was a suggestion about air in the system maybe? could harsh bumps be producing a "burp" in the system or maybe some blockage that isnt flushed until restart/startup?

anyone else experience this?
No experience. My power steering systems have always worked just fine. Well, I take that back... I just remembered: My '96 Mustang GT had a problem in this area and the rack had to be replaced. (Under warranty thank God.)

In your car's case be sure the fluid level is ok and there are no power steering fluid leaks. You need to get the car in the air (safely) and then get under the car with a bright flashlight checking all the panels for any signs of fluid stains. Be sure to shine the light in the spaces/gaps of the panels looking above the panels at the underside of the car for any signs of a fluid leak.

One test you might try is somewhere you have lots of room is to moving the car at a slow pace make a u-turn and then let go of the steering wheel and note where the steering wheel ends up or stops. Do this several times making the u-turn in both directions, trying to be consistent with your technique.

If the steering wheel does not come back to the same spot/position every time this can be a sign the rack is bad.

'course while you are doing this you will note any other signs of steering distress.

Do not leave the steering wheel at full lock while the engine is running though as this puts considerable strain on the power steering system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 PM
kinetic125
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spiffyjiff - PM sent, I think I am having a similar problem on my 997.1 GT3.

I would like to hear if you found a solution.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Did you check the fluid level? I chased a ghost for a while, and here I had a leak. I thought the worst... it wasn't.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 PM
kinetic125
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Did you check the fluid level? I chased a ghost for a while, and here I had a leak. I thought the worst... it wasn't.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Yes, I forgot to mention fluid level is and has been fine. Also no signs of a leak anywhere.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:40 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like the accessory belt might be slipping intermittently and your PS pump is not turning properly. That is when you would feel the difference in the steering.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:37 AM
kinetic125
Rennlist Member

Accessory Belt slippage would manifest at times other than immediately after hitting a bump, correct?

Quick Reply: power steering sometimes goes "dead"?