Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 4S Towed away by rear wheels

Old 05-12-2019, 02:48 AM
fredke
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 4S Towed away by rear wheels

A very inexperienced towing outfit towed my 06 4S Tiptronic 22 miles with the front wheels on the ground while the back wheels road on the tow truck.
I saw a similar thread about the NYPD doing the same thing which resulted in multiple warning lights. But no follow up to say what actually was damaged.
I go on Monday to take possession of my vehicle, and my instincts tell me that I should have AAA come and tow it properly to the Porsche dealer for full inspection to access what damage occurred, with heads up to my comprehensive insurance company that it is highly likely that serious damage has occurred to driveline and transmission.
Obviously this was not a planned tow, and thus they didn't have ignition key, but did break into the vehicle for what can only be assumed to be emergency transmission selection unlock ( to put the Tiptronic selection to neutral) and possibly turn the theft alarm off or to open the trunk to disconnect the battery for the same reason.
All was caught on CCT video which is now preserved for legal use should my insurance company decide to do so if damaged happened.

What should I look for besides obvious damage to the rear drive axles as the lift point of contact to raise the car onto the tow hoist and securing it while in transport should they not have had the brains to secure through the wheels?
And Inspect the rear fenders, tailpipes, and bumper for exterior signs of damage, as well as the front facial for nose damage as it does have the extra lowered sport suspension chasis.

I frankly don't want to touch the car or even turn the ignition on just for legal reasons, and starting it and driving it is definitely out of the question for the same reason.

Would 22 miles of towing front wheels on the ground cause visible damage such as transmission or diff leaks due to the forced un-meshing of the driveline?

Thank you folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 4S Towed away by rear wheels