Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S oil change with a hidden surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Carrera S oil change with a hidden surprise!

So I did the yearly oil change this weekend. Pretty standard stuff there. I used Lubro Moly oil from Germany for the change. It carries the current classification for late model Porsches. I believe it's a better oil than Mobil 1 but have no real proof. Please, let's not start an oil debate here!

Here comes the surprise part. I had purchased an X51 oil pan that comes with the internal baffles around the oil pump to help stop any oil starvation problems that could happen under hard cornering conditions. So with the oil drained for the change, this was the time to bolt this puppy in place. There is no gasket on the oil pan, it is basically glued in place with sealant, so it takes some pretty good prying to break it free. When the pan broke loose I dropped it down for inspection and that's when I got the surprise. What I was looking at was an oil pan that already had internal baffling installed from the factory! Don't know for sure, but I assume this baffled pan is another upgrade you get with the "S" model Carrera.

The stock pan looks like a nice piece so I decided to reinstall it and leave well enough alone. I'll install the X51 pan on my Boxster.

Oil refill after drain and filter change took 8.5 liters. I pre-filled the filter housing little over half way (need to leave room for the filter) with fresh oil to head off starvation at start up. That worked good, didn't have any low oil pressure warnings appear on start up.

I also gathered samples of the used oil as it was being drained to send in for oil analysis. Will update when results come back.

While I was working on the car I decided to clean out the front radiators. I still want to make some stone guards to install in front of the them to protect them from flying road hazards. (rocks)

Wish I knew how to mix in text with the photos. Since I don't, refer to photos below.

1) Lubro Moly oil I used

2) Both oil pans side by side. The one with the aluminum baffles is the X51 pan. The one with the plastic baffle is the stock Carrera S pan.

3) View of bottom of motor with oil pan removed.

4) View of radiators before cleaning.

5) Teaser pic of the X51 air box that was installed after oil change. That will be another thread! More X51 parts should arrive today! Looks like I'm sliding out of control on the slippery slope.

Warm weather is coming. Get out there and drive friends!

Phil
Attached Images      
Old 04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

would love more info on the X51 stuff youre adding (reason for, etc.)

airbox looks nice
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some very detailed analysis of the difference between the x51 pan and the stock pan in other threads. It's complicated. For example :

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-baffles.html

LNE sells a spacer/extension kit that they claim is better. I believe Mantis has a similar product ; see :

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...extension.html

IMO I'm not sure there's any point to any of that. If you are going to do hard tracking on slicks, you should probably get a dry sump kit like Accusump. If not, then I'm not sure any of it has any point.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
IMO I'm not sure there's any point to any of that. If you are going to do hard tracking on slicks, you should probably get a dry sump kit like Accusump. If not, then I'm not sure any of it has any point.
my valve lifters stopped dinging after i got x51 pan installed, so, for me it worked great. plus cumulative knowledge assumes it is an overall good thing to do as it keeps level of oil higher around pickup tube.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
my valve lifters stopped dinging after i got x51 pan installed, so, for me it worked great. plus cumulative knowledge assumes it is an overall good thing to do as it keeps level of oil higher around pickup tube.
But yours is a C2, right? did your have a similar pan as OP C2S?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
would love more info on the X51 stuff youre adding (reason for, etc.)

airbox looks nice
Adding the X51 items for the usual reason, more Power! Exhaust side has the X51 headers into 200 cell high flow cats into fvd sport mufflers. Sounds awesome! I like the sound better than the PSE that came on the car.

Intake side will have full X51 set-up. Airbox, throttle body, and manifolds.

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
There's some very detailed analysis of the difference between the x51 pan and the stock pan in other threads. It's complicated. For example :

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...d-baffles.html

LNE sells a spacer/extension kit that they claim is better. I believe Mantis has a similar product ; see :

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...extension.html

Looks like I should have done a search on the oil pan first. Would have known what was inside there before starting. Never under estimate the power of the search.

There IS a detailed analysis in that first thread, but I don't agree with parts of it.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Maybe I should have installed the X51 oil pan after all?

Originally Posted by alexb76
From the threads cbzzoom listed, looks like utkinpol had the same pan in his car as my S came with.

It has been an education. Can't wait to learn more!

Phil
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
it is _996_ x51 item. 996 's' car had 3.6L engine which went into 997 c2. 997 cars never had alternative pans. 3.8L and 3.6L engines have same pans from what I know but it may not be true - suncoast folks should know.

only trick with that pan is that is got full aluminum with rubber seals on edges so it presses tight against engine block walls and keeps oil better inside and reduces foaming. my mechanic says that spacers that increase overall oil depth do work better than this pan. my approach would be - if your 3.8 engine does not make any odd sounds after AX runs - may be you do not need to mess up with any of that. just run a bit heavier oil, not 0w40 but 5w50 - it will be better for valve lifters and will foam less.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RollingArt, a very easy way to keep the radiators clean, is to blow out with your leak blower, when washing the car. Blow them out when everything is dry, prior to washing, and do it again when they are wet, after washing. Stuff just comes out each time. Very easy.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, the Boxster 2.5, 2.7, 3.2 and 996 3.4, 3.6 and even the 3.8 997S all had the same black plastic windage tray. If you order a replacement from the dealer for any of those cars you get the black plastic item that RollingArt has in his picture.

Decide for yourself on the benefits of the x51 part or not. Today there are actually good alternatives from BK and Mantis and LN Engineering/Jake Raby that make the oil box deeper and drop the oil pickup into the pool of oil.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

997 3.8 pan is different than 997 3.6

i tried this x51 pan on my 997 3.8 and came to the same conclusion and reinstalled.

also it never fit as good as the stock piece, and i tried the ln deep sump spacer too, did not fit the 3.8
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bad I should have said the 996 3.8 engine. Dug up the part #'s and they are for the 3.8 variant in the 996.

Originally Posted by mobonic
997 3.8 pan is different than 997 3.6

i tried this x51 pan on my 997 3.8 and came to the same conclusion and reinstalled.

also it never fit as good as the stock piece, and i tried the ln deep sump spacer too, did not fit the 3.8

Quick Reply: Carrera S oil change with a hidden surprise!