Sponsored by:

Update on my PPI

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd say that car was driven like your grandmother stole it, i.e. squeaky clean. You need to drive it much harder to keep it in shape!

"Normal" overall use works out around ~30mph, I've always heard, and that is my personal experience over the years. Again, sounds like your car was driven too slow.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
Thanks for the great input guys, I feel better that it might have been a glitch.

Also, miles on the car are 10661 and total hours operating on the car are 433.8 does that mean the average speed is 24.5 mph ? or am I lumping two different ranges together ?

jason
Pewter82, too late now. You own it. Stop fretting, start enjoying.

Yes, your average MPH's are 24.5. This implies a LOT of city stop & go driving. And/or the prior owner did a lot of 'standing still' warm ups in the driveway, prior to driving off. For example, my Boxster S with about 39,000 miles has an average of about 52 MPH and the 993 Turbo wiht 48,000 miles is about 55 MPH. Both are sunny day weekend toys. I'm never in traffic.

You issue will be in the future, when you go to sell her, and need to explain the range 3-5 over-revs to the next smart & knowledgable buyer.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd worry about tire rot before engine trouble with those numbers. Drive it and enjoy. If you look hard enough you will always find something to worry about. Trust me and the other OCD folks on this board. Sometimes it is better to just enjoy.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

smart money here is telling you the DME is fine (heed their words)

and the car looks great too (heed my words)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

But why can't we just talk about the numbers more???

Going back to the topic of "can you have multiple ignitions on multiple ranges", i think the answer is yes. Assume you just got the car and on your very first time using it, you instantly put a brick down on the gas and took it to 10,000 RPM. I believe what you would see on the readout would be:

Range 1: 1
Range 2: 1
Range 3: 1
Range 4: 1
Range 5: 1
Range 6: 1

Then, your very next move was to hit range 3, you would get:

Range 1: 2
Range 2: 2
Range 3: 2

I believe that's how it accumulates,but I may be wrong...

-T
Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
But why can't we just talk about the numbers more???

Going back to the topic of "can you have multiple ignitions on multiple ranges", i think the answer is yes. Assume you just got the car and on your very first time using it, you instantly put a brick down on the gas and took it to 10,000 RPM. I believe what you would see on the readout would be:

Range 1: 1
Range 2: 1
Range 3: 1

Then, your very next move was to hit range 3, you would get:

Range 1: 2
Range 2: 2
Range 3: 2

I believe that's how it accumulates,but I may be wrong...

-T
Read GOTA911's post again - I don't think he's saying multiple ignitions in multiple ranges can't happen - just that 1 ignition is difficult to explain. Your example is generally correct but using single digit ignitions isn't the best way to explain.
The numbers reported represent ignitions not occurrences - so one igniton is registered with one-third of a revolution in the stated rpm range(s) - hard to believe that 1 ignition could happen let alone the same number of 1 ignition across all 6 ranges. You're not going to get one third of a revolution of the crank going to 10,000 rpm...and that's what 1 ignition represents (3 ignitions per revolution).
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Read GOTA911's post again - I don't think he's saying multiple ignitions in multiple ranges can't happen - just that 1 ignition is difficult to explain. Your example is generally correct but using single digit ignitions isn't the best way to explain.
The numbers reported represent ignitions not occurrences - so one igniton is registered with one-third of a revolution in the stated rpm range(s) - hard to believe that 1 ignition could happen let alone the same number of 1 ignition across all 6 ranges. You're not going to get one third of a revolution of the crank going to 10,000 rpm...and that's what 1 ignition represents (3 ignitions per revolution).
Jhbrennan,

Good explination.

Tpenta,

Your explanation in your last post works if you replace the word "ignitions" with "number of times entered into a rev range." Then and only then does your example work.

However, the rev range data recorded is total number of ignitions and the engine hours (time stamp, if you will) of the last time the engine had an ignition in that rev range.

So let's go through the numbers, and I'll use 7,200 RPS for the following example even though that RPM is not in an over rev range.

7,200 RPM (revolutions per minute) divided by 60 seconds in a minute equals 120 revolutions per second.

120 revolutions per second times 3 ignitions per revolution equals 360 IGNITIONS per second.

So if you get 1 ignition in Range 1 you were only in there for 1/360ths of a second (or 0.00277 seconds) It would be impossible to enter Range 1 and pass through it into range 2, all in 1/360 of a second. You may be able to pass through it in 1/10th of a second (only guessing here) but in that 1/10th of a second, you would have 36 ignitions.

That is why I stated earlier that it is impossible to have the same number of ignitions in 3 successive rev ranges, because you always have to pass through the two lower ranges to get to the third range. And you have to pass through the two lower ranges agsin on your way down the rev ranges.

I hope this helps. Let me know, in this thread, if you have more questions.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82
Thanks for the great input guys, I feel better that it might have been a glitch.

Also, miles on the car are 10661 and total hours operating on the car are 433.8 does that mean the average speed is 24.5 mph ? or am I lumping two different ranges together ?

jason
Yes. Miles on the car divided by engine running time gives you the average speed the car covered. 24.5mph average is not that 'low'.

With that few miles on the car it is unlikely the owner took it for long high speed jaunts often if at all. Most likely the car was used about town or for lower speed rides/drives in the country. Thus an approx. 25mph speed average over 10K miles is understandable.

What you want to be careful about is a real low average speed, sub 20mph (WAG) or lower.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Update on my PPI