Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area Drives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Brad J.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SF Bay Area Drives?

I have a problem. I have yet to really (I mean *really*) open up my 997.1 C2S. I live on the Peninsula and have taken a few drives up and down the hills near Woodside, but the limited visibility on these woodsy, ultra-windy roads, I'm paranoid of cops and bicyclists where they shouldn't be, plus I'm always stuck behind minvans negotiating the curves at tortoise speeds. Anybody local (or formerly local) have any good suggestions of a drive semi-nearby to unleash the hounds? I should point out that I am a very safe, courteous driver and won't be putting myself or especially anyone else at risk. I am also looking into a bit of DE and track time.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
403portside
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 96 Posts

I live in SF and usually take 84 into Woodside, and then out to Skyline Blvd. You're right, cyclists galore. I've also done Grizzly Peak Blvd in the East Bay, but same problem. The best drive I've done is actually North of SF, along Highway 1 toward Marshall. Again, some cyclists, slow drivers...but at one point (I can't remember exactly where) I hit some pristine road (literally no bumps) that was empty, with nice long curves that was just an amazing drive. I recommend doing that, but count on a 3-4 hour round trip excursion.

I'm more interested in finding some open highway to get my damn car over 115 mph
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've lived in the Bay Area for a long, long time and I don't really know of a place nearby where you can extend cars like ours for more than a few seconds at a time without risking your license or incarceration. There are areas in the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, Napa, etc) where you can enjoy a great drive but really "unleashing the hounds" in a car as fast as the Carrera is out of the question on any public road around here.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I had fun driving a road to Lake Berryessa in Napa. Can't avoid the police these days but there were longer stretches of wider but windy roads. I swear I didn't see a speed limit sign from the Silverado Trail but I believe it's 55. Very little traffic when I was there.

I'm pretty sure it was Hwy 128. Instead of taking Hwy 29 through Napa like most people, use the Silverado Trail that runs parallel, prettier and less traffic. Lots of great little wineries off it too, Peña, yum. Fun drive followed by wine tasting. Doooo it.

map . . .

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've lived in the Bay Area for a long, long time and I don't really know of a place nearby where you can extend cars like ours for more than a few seconds at a time without risking your license or incarceration. There are areas in the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, Napa, etc) where you can enjoy a great drive but really "unleashing the hounds" in a car as fast as the Carrera is out of the question on any public road around here.

I disagree. It is no different than on a motorcycle. Open away and if it is not enough. Hit the track. On 84. Go Monday miring around 11 am. No one is on the road and the cops ares off to lunch.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also in the Bay Area. You might want to checkout the PCA (Golden Gate Region), these folks are very active. They frequently have DE and Auto-X days, group drives with excellent choices of routes, and other Porsche related activities and benefits.

Flex the car at the track days, PCA-GGR has one coming up on April 29 (http://www.pca-ggr.org/)

As for local roads, I think in the dense Bay Area with our cars, even the first gear can violate some traffic rules and be dangerous (the other day, I just saw a guy fishtailed in a 25mph turn at school zone.)

Regards,
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
I live in SF and usually take 84 into Woodside, and then out to Skyline Blvd. You're right, cyclists galore. I've also done Grizzly Peak Blvd in the East Bay, but same problem. The best drive I've done is actually North of SF, along Highway 1 toward Marshall. Again, some cyclists, slow drivers...but at one point (I can't remember exactly where) I hit some pristine road (literally no bumps) that was empty, with nice long curves that was just an amazing drive. I recommend doing that, but count on a 3-4 hour round trip excursion.

I'm more interested in finding some open highway to get my damn car over 115 mph
skyline cop city
grizzly much better.
go up old tunnel road, keep going pass redwood park, no park, but does have cyclist. no cops there.

dont run me over. i ride both areas.

that said, dont break too many traffic laws.
now i dont drive any of my porsche on street, sad....
Old 04-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Because of cyclists, I usually run some of my favorite routes only at night, when I know there will be no cyclists out there.

One of my simple, favorite runs is down to Stinson Beach from 101. Just don't try it when the school buses are running!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

HWY 1 from SF to Stinson is fun.
HWY 84 from HWY1 up to Alice's (Pacific side) is also fun and fewer cyclist parasites from that side.

In general though - better to do a DE at a track and get the juices out of your system.
Always leave plenty of margin when you're on the street.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by yossarian
I disagree. It is no different than on a motorcycle. Open away and if it is not enough. Hit the track. On 84. Go Monday miring around 11 am. No one is on the road and the cops ares off to lunch.
Taking a brisk run in a fast car or motorcycle on a good road is fun. But using a public road in the Bay Area or most anyplace else to "open away" and explore the limits of a car as fast as a modern Porsche is stupid and irresponsible, whether it's Monday morning and the cops are around or not. That's what autoX, DE's and track days are for.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Hope theres no cops trolling the boards. You just gave away my favorite drives.
Edgy, be careful for the deer at night. I prefer early mornings myself. Quick romp
before the kids wake up.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Find a California road map and check state/county Road 25. It's north to south route splits foothills and shallow valleys between Highway 101 and Interstate 5. Highway 25 starts from Highway 101 north of Hollister and ends back at 101 just north of Paso Robles.

I have broken in two new cars on this drive. Very few people. You can drive the last thirty miles and never see a car. Spring is a great time to drive this route but be prepared for lots of bug hits.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Taking a brisk run in a fast car or motorcycle on a good road is fun. But using a public road in the Bay Area or most anyplace else to "open away" and explore the limits of a car as fast as a modern Porsche is stupid and irresponsible, whether it's Monday morning and the cops are around or not. That's what autoX, DE's and track days are for.
+1. This is the most intelligent comment I have read here.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad J.
I have a problem. I have yet to really (I mean *really*) open up my 997.1 C2S. I live on the Peninsula and have taken a few drives up and down the hills near Woodside, but the limited visibility on these woodsy, ultra-windy roads, I'm paranoid of cops and bicyclists where they shouldn't be, plus I'm always stuck behind minvans negotiating the curves at tortoise speeds. Anybody local (or formerly local) have any good suggestions of a drive semi-nearby to unleash the hounds? I should point out that I am a very safe, courteous driver and won't be putting myself or especially anyone else at risk. I am also looking into a bit of DE and track time.

Thanks!
Lived in this area more years than I care to admit. There ain't anywhere you can open one of these cars up legally.

I can recommend some nice roads though. Highway 1 along the coast, from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay is nice, was nice the last time I over there. The godawful highway 17 though to get to Santa Cruz.

In the east bay (you know on the other side of the Bay Bridge) I like Tesla Rd. which is J2 which is also called Corral Hollow Road out east/south of Livermore. Mines Rd (heads south from Livermore) is nice too. It intersects San Antonio Valley Rd. up in the mountains east of Fremont/San Jose which then continues over into the Mt. Hamilton where the observatory by that name is located.

Or you can turn east and follow Del Puerto Canyon Rd over to I-5.

The above roads are nice. But there is traffic. Bicycles. Motorcycles. And other cars. You can't open the car up but you'll get your fill of the twisties.

Mind some of those roads cross open range and livestock can be on the road and always there is wildlife to watch out for.

A bit more distant is 395. I've been up it from 58 as far as Ridgecrest. But the rest of the way north seems worth driving whenever I can find the time.

If you want to go even further afield take highway 50 (or I-80) over to NV and take 50 on east into the interior of NV. In NV 50 is known as 'The lonliest highway in America'.

For someone used to driving in the bay area the open road and often times (nearly) empty road that stretches out for sometimes 30 miles or so is well tempting... but I'm sure you'll behave yourself.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsilnner
Find a California road map and check state/county Road 25. It's north to south route splits foothills and shallow valleys between Highway 101 and Interstate 5. Highway 25 starts from Highway 101 north of Hollister and ends back at 101 just north of Paso Robles.
+1
I have introduced several folks to this road. Even below the speed limit it is one of the most gorgeous/fun drives anywhere in the country. Make a full day of it: when you get to the southern end of Hwy 25, turn East on hwy 198 and have lunch in Coalinga. Then turn around and drive the route again in reverse. Home for dinner. Bring a camera. Prepare to be awed.

But to 2nd the others, sign up for some PCA GGR trackdays. That's the safe way to stretch your car's legs.

Info here: http://www.pca-ggr.org/track/getting_started
Register here: http://pca-ggr.motorsportreg.com/

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Drives?