Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area Drives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Lived in this area more years than I care to admit. There ain't anywhere you can open one of these cars up legally......there is traffic. Bicycles. Motorcycles. And other cars. You can't open the car up but you'll get your fill of the twisties........Mind some of those roads cross open range and livestock can be on the road and always there is wildlife to watch out for.......

Sincerely,

Macster.
Agree completely.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

HWY 5 to So Cal
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that far from SF to the dry lake beds of So Cal or Nevada. If you really want to open up for top speed, get out there.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

For the best curves, try a motorcycle road to your south. Departing Santa Margarita at 101 take highway 58 to 229 then to route 41. You can end at Cholame, take a look at the James Dean momorial, and then turn around and do it again.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rather than open up on public roads, I like to practice general driving technique, whether it's steering (how I hold and turn the wheel), shifting, identifying the apex and braking. That way, all these things become second nature by the time I hit the track or autocross. It's easy to get lazy on public roads.

I rarely open up on public roads, but what speed is "opening up" anyway? For example, I don't really consider 120 mph all that fast in a 997.

I have a few spots along the Bay Area peninsula highways where I know: (a) there are no places to get tagged by radar or concealed patrol cars; (b) there is low risk for animals; (c) the road is straight with lots of visibility fore and aft; (d) the road is in very good shape (harder to find these days); (e) the times of day when traffic is light.

If my tire pressure is good, and tire condition is relatively new, and I'm in one of my "spots" - I'll "open up" to 150+. The alignment of all those stars (spot on road, traffic, tires, etc.) is very, very rare. I get most of my thrills in the twisties rather than on the straights, and these are better practice for autocross anyway.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I also live on the SF Peninsula, can you share the locations of a few of these glorious spots?

Clearly, a fun set of twisties is the loop starting at Page Mill Road out all the way to Skyline (hwy 35), Skyline to Portola Road to Alpine to Arastradero and back to Page Mill.

Option to go to the ocean by cutting over to La Honda Road from Skyline at Alice's Restaurant and head all the way on La Honda (Hwy 84) to the coast. Very adventurous ride. Cut up north on Hwy at the coast and return via Hwy 92 as you will be trashed after this fantastic set of roads.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mossjn
Option to go to the ocean by cutting over to La Honda Road from Skyline at Alice's Restaurant and head all the way on La Honda (Hwy 84) to the coast. Very adventurous ride. Cut up north on Hwy at the coast and return via Hwy 92 as you will be trashed after this fantastic set of roads.
Do that route in reverse. Coming up La Honda is sublime.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The usual spots are well known and talked about...

I used to live on Page Mill about 1.5 miles east of Skyline. Drove that every day and never minded the drive, and would often time it. Got to know the turns really well, making it extra fun. No cyclists on weekdays really, especially late afternoon. My biggest problem was cars coming in the opposite direction who were not paying attention.

Highway 9 - west of Skyline. Not much traffic ever, and twisty. But watch out for wet leaves in the fall - it gets slippery.

Highway 9 - east of Skyline. Can be really fun (faster than Page Mill), but I often come up on slower traffic. Still can't figure out an ideal time of day.

Straight stretch on 280 SB - a few spots between 84 and Page Mill.

Does anyone remember the days of "17 in 17" (basically Los Gatos to Santa Cruz on highway 17 in 17 minutes)? Today's cars can cut it in 13 minutes pretty handily. But back in the 80s, it was more of a challenge - especially without the center divider (yikes).

Highway 1 north of Santa Cruz is pretty lightly traveled, although it lacks any generous straights or twisties, but fun if you just like having the road to yourself.

Note: the twisties above all have animal risk. As an earlier poster noted, late afternoon and early evening are not good times to go attacking the curves.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow this advice, great people, loads of fun!

Originally Posted by quickxotica
+1
But to 2nd the others, sign up for some PCA GGR trackdays. That's the safe way to stretch your car's legs.

Info here: http://www.pca-ggr.org/track/getting_started
Register here: http://pca-ggr.motorsportreg.com/
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

The little access road down to Muir Woods state park is a fun little low speed winding snake. I was just out there on vacation and tortured my rental car on that road. I wished I had my 997 when I was there, but the fee to carry it on as baggage from Washington DC was just too much.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
The usual spots are well known and talked about...

I used to live on Page Mill about 1.5 miles east of Skyline. Drove that every day and never minded the drive, and would often time it. Got to know the turns really well, making it extra fun. No cyclists on weekdays really, especially late afternoon. My biggest problem was cars coming in the opposite direction who were not paying attention.

Highway 9 - west of Skyline. Not much traffic ever, and twisty. But watch out for wet leaves in the fall - it gets slippery.

Highway 9 - east of Skyline. Can be really fun (faster than Page Mill), but I often come up on slower traffic. Still can't figure out an ideal time of day.

Straight stretch on 280 SB - a few spots between 84 and Page Mill.

Does anyone remember the days of "17 in 17" (basically Los Gatos to Santa Cruz on highway 17 in 17 minutes)? Today's cars can cut it in 13 minutes pretty handily. But back in the 80s, it was more of a challenge - especially without the center divider (yikes).

Highway 1 north of Santa Cruz is pretty lightly traveled, although it lacks any generous straights or twisties, but fun if you just like having the road to yourself.

Note: the twisties above all have animal risk. As an earlier poster noted, late afternoon and early evening are not good times to go attacking the curves.

'17 in 17'.... I was not aware of this but a long time ago -- early 70s -- in a Datsun 510 (modified) I and another car -- I can't even remember the type of car now -- early one Sunday got involved in a rather mad (and in hindsight and totally inexcusable) high speed 'road race' starting from just about Cats to nearly highway 1. A CHP pulled us over just before the exit.

He admitted he had been following us from almost the outset but could not catch us. I do not remember the ticket, but it was not that severe, thankfully. And more important nothing beyond the ticket happened.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad J.
I have a problem. I have yet to really (I mean *really*) open up my 997.1 C2S. I live on the Peninsula and have taken a few drives up and down the hills near Woodside, but the limited visibility on these woodsy, ultra-windy roads, I'm paranoid of cops and bicyclists where they shouldn't be, plus I'm always stuck behind minvans negotiating the curves at tortoise speeds. Anybody local (or formerly local) have any good suggestions of a drive semi-nearby to unleash the hounds? I should point out that I am a very safe, courteous driver and won't be putting myself or especially anyone else at risk. I am also looking into a bit of DE and track time.

Thanks!
Oh, I almost forgot. While you can't open the car up fully you can experience a bit of its awesomeness by participating in the Nevada Open Road Challenge.

The next one is May 12 through the 15th out on NV highway 318.

See here for more info:

http://www.sscc.us/

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oakville grade - 'nuff said.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Drives?