Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain the Front Lid opening mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Can someone explain the Front Lid opening mechanism?

Folks,

Another technical question, regarding the front lid opening mechanism.

I recently had something bizarre happening to my car: the motor for the Emergency release (when you get stuck in the trunk, as if you could... ) was humming madly....making a very unpleasant noise. I disconnected the battery and the noise went away, after reconnection. It came back shortly after.

After studying the electrical wiring diagrams and the repair manual, it looks like we have no less than 3 mechanisms to open that lid: The regular switch located at the door sill, the emergency release handle (if you get caught inside) and a cable apparently going near the left main headlight.

Could someone explain to me where this cable goes, and how to get access to it from the outside. I turned the wheels and looked inside the left wheel liner, but could not find anything to pull on.....

Also, any help would be appreciated about why such noise would come from the Emergency motor.

Thanks in advance.
Yves
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think newer models (09+?) might not have it anymore but someone can confirm here. (i know a guy who got locked out of an 09 - keys locked in trunk - and tore his bumper apart looking for it only to discover it didnt exist!)

to get to it, you have to take off the forward located left wheel well well cover. better solution is a pre-emptive strike - take a few mins one weekend to go thru the left headlight and route it/elongate it to somewhere easily accessible in case you need it in a pinch.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year 997? There are issues with some 997.1 and the controller for the front latch.
Dealer item.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

It is a 2006 C4S (997.1).

Yves
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd run it by your dealer. Mine started the funny noise, then I got a check engine light. They needed to replace a module behind the bumper.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I talked to my dealer about a front end noise and the service tech indicated there were cases of the front latch release failing and making noises that required they be replaced. I'd have them check it out. If its running without you activating the switches, there is something broken that needs to be replace.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Yes, that is exactly the symptoms: it runs without me doing anything.

I think I am just going to disconnect that stupid feature as I will never get stuck in my trunk. Problem is: you need to remove the front bumper to access the wires.

Yves

Quick Reply: Can someone explain the Front Lid opening mechanism?