Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Auto-Mute

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
doug2255
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 3.0 Auto-Mute

I am installing a radar detection system on my 09 C2S CAB and would like to tie it into the PCM for the auto-mute feature, so upon receiving an alert, the radio/PCM goes into the auto-mute mode during the alert.

Can anyone assist me with the details on how this could be accomplished?
Old 04-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

First, your radar detector would have to have provision to output a trigger signal, in principle sort of like the 12V DC output that a home theater processor uses for triggering remote power switching, every time an alert went off. Then that signal would have to be compatible with PCM, PCM would have to understand what it meant, and would need an input that would accept it. I don't know of any detectors that have the capability to output a signal that can interface with PCM. Seems like a huge long shot to say the least, and at best an awful lot of work for minimal benefit, IMO.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If there is no 'mute input' signal pin on the PCM backside somewhere, then the best option would be to mute the signal going to the speakers via some device that is designed for that purpose: it would mute the output to the power amp, or from the amp to the speakers.

But given its a Porsche, there may be detection systems that would throw a sound-system fault code for all I know, if the speaker suddenly seemed to disappear to the internal amps in the PCM.

I'd agree that the best bet is make the alert loud enough so you can see it and then mute the audio yourself, unless there is a mute-input pin.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Auto-Mute