Sponsored by:

Wheel/tire Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Wheel/tire Insurance

Have any of you bought wheel/tire insurance ? When i was at my porsche dealer I was quoted a price of $2300 for a 5 year policy from Intire for my 19' Turbo wheels. seems kind of high..any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I'd ask around p-car owners in your area. Where I live there has been constant construction and lots of nails and crap on the road. I've replaced the right rear I don't know how many times. It's the one that goes up against the curb where all the junk goes off the road. Sports tires are also very sticky and wide. So those 3 factors in my city have been a problem. If it's country driving I don't know if I'd buy tire insurance. I would LIKE to but it's not available in my city. So I'd ask local owners and see what the've experienced and go from there.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted $1100 for a 5 year policy with Road Knight. At the time, when I bought the car, it seemed like a good idea. However thinking about it I would rather take the risk myself. I thought it was dumb to negotiate a good deal then cough up an additional $1100 for an insurance policy I've never had before. I cancelled within 40 days and got my money back. I've been driving for 20+ years and only every had 2 punctures.

I didn't trust the policy to pay out when needed as it must get abused so much. What's to stop you running over a nail every 10,000 miles!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

my advice? not worth it but if you do feel the need to buy, be careful/forewarned: a lot of what i've heard from others and my own experience ("ask me how i know") is that the fine print stipulates things like catastrophic replacement only. i.e. a nail in your tire (in treads, not sidewall) is usually only patched, or in other words $10-$15 at any local shop. and wheel curb rash, even extensive, is not covered. fine print usu says a wheel has to be "structurally compromised" or something like that to be covered.

so unless you plan on HITTING curbs hard, at speed...i dont think it's worth it. just like any other insurance company, theyre in the business of trying not to cover you - otherwise they dont make money.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
my advice? not worth it but if you do feel the need to buy, be careful/forewarned: a lot of what i've heard from others and my own experience ("ask me how i know") is that the fine print stipulates things like catastrophic replacement only. i.e. a nail in your tire (in treads, not sidewall) is usually only patched, or in other words $10-$15 at any local shop. and wheel curb rash, even extensive, is not covered. fine print usu says a wheel has to be "structurally compromised" or something like that to be covered.

so unless you plan on HITTING curbs hard, at speed...i dont think it's worth it. just like any other insurance company, theyre in the business of trying not to cover you - otherwise they dont make money.
My understanding is that most garages won't patch a high performance tire and they recommend replacement. I'm not certain how true this is since I haven't had this situation occur but it seems plausible.

The Mercedes dealer was saying that curb rash is included in the wheel coverage and I didn't see anything in the fine print saying that it wouldn't be covered. If it's not covered they are misleading their customers which wouldn't be surprising.

For reference I opted out of this for my Spyder, hopefully I don't regret this decision.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gellie
Have any of you bought wheel/tire insurance ? When i was at my porsche dealer I was quoted a price of $2300 for a 5 year policy from Intire for my 19' Turbo wheels. seems kind of high..any thoughts?
$2,300 is a ripoff quote, IMHO. That's the F&I department trying to get over on you.

Paid $850 for InTire coverage for wheel/tire insurance in June, 06. 19" Sport Design wheels with PS2's

Recent renewal price quote from P-Dealer (Tysons) was $1,350 for another five years.

I will renew as it's a no brainer for me...had two rear tires replaced so I'm ahead (Dealer charged approximately $600 per tire to replace).

The P-Dealer will only replace...no patches.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I got it as a supplement to my 10 year - 100,000 mile warranty. I think the delta was maybe $400. Paid off already. (EasyCare)
Old 04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
I think you have to buy it. I didn't have it on my 2010 C4S and got a flat right out of the box...$600.00....ouch! Bought it now ($1,500 for 5 years) nothing yet but since I'm keeping this car I feel it's money well spent. It includes scraping the wheel which unfortunately I just did. To me you have to do it but to each his own.

Tom
Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Our dealer offered a wheel/tire replacement policy also, believe it was @ $1,500 but we didn't purchase the plan. Instead, I used the money we would have spent on the policy and purchase a full set of the exact same wheels, with nearly perfect tires and TPSM off Ebay for $1,500 shipped. The seller no longer needed the "lobster" wheels and that is what we needed to match her C4S.

This will serve two purposes. In the event of a catastrophic failure we have spares without any worries about "technicalities" not covering the damage and in the mean time, these will be used as her track wheels. This is a win-win for us... sorry Mr. Insurance Co.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

This is like any other insurance policy be it car, house, extended warranty. You'll get some who said they made claims and it was well worth it and others who bought it and haven't made a claim.

Overall though the amount of payout due to claims has to be less than the premiums collected otherwise the insurance companies would be out of business.

You have to make a decision as to whether you are happy taking the gamble of not insuring yourself.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

for my c2s w/ lobsters and ps2 i paid $599 for 5yr from the dealer. I already got a new tire $approx $600, so I've broken even already.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In 9K miles, mine, at around $700, has already paid for itself with two new tires - at $2300 of course it would take longer and a lot more bad luck...

Quick Reply: Wheel/tire Insurance