Sponsored by:

997 cab - turbo, c4 or c2??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM
midwest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 cab - turbo, c4 or c2??

I am going to get a used cabriolet for a daily driver.

Advice on which? It will be a manual transmission.

I love the looks of the wider hips on the turbo, c4 and the gts (not thinking of gts as want used). I don't mind paying extra for the turbo... but I really dislike the look of the spoiler and the rear inlets on the turbo cab.

I am not sure I want awd, though perhaps I would drive it in the Tahoe mountains occasionally to go skiing (basically you need awd and 4 season tires to get through chain control without putting on chains). Most of the time, rainy weather not cold in the winter in northern california so probably would chose high performance 3 season tires instead... (my other solution is to get a used audi or cayenne).

Is the later engine worth getting over the earlier cars?

Is the awd a big enough hit to fun driving to negate it? Is the turbo feel good enough to overcome the looks?

Any more pros/cons?

A lot of driving in San francisco, on the highways there, etc. No track use. I don't really care what others think of me when they see the car, though the turbo does look a little boy racerish and I don't like that. (love the looks of my 993tt though and even the 993 cab). Is there a good color to hide all of that on the turbo?

Help! Thanks. I just won't be able to compare the 3 models before deciding.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in SF, go to Tahoe regularly and own a C4S cab. (so my answere is very relevant)
I drove to Tahoe this weekend for boarding, but on dry roads. I used summer performance tires (my excellent Bridgestone RE-11's).
In snow, I usually drive up in my Volkswagen in All-Season Tires with chains.

My recommendation:
If you have the ability to keep a second set of wheels with snow tires around and consider yourself the kind of person who can easily swap them in your garage, then go for it.

I would not, repeat NOT drive the C4S to Tahoe in the snow with summer tires. They will get very hard and slick at low temp.
I also wouldn't drive around the Bay in all season tires just for 4 trips a winter - you lose a lot of the experience if you don't have proper performance tires.

An Alternate Recommendation
If you have a "beater" car that can make the trip in rough weather, and keep the C4S for nice weather trips, this would be ideal.

Before anyone squawks, yes, zee Germans drive around all zee time with zee snow tires, as do many of you, but remember, we live in California and we love to drive, so our math is different.

PS a 164cm snowboard in soft bag fits *exactly* behind the rear seats diagonally.
You have to lower the top to put it in and take it out, but it can be carefully closed afterwards.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All your choices are great. I prefer the C4S for its big rear, it's heavier but lively steering, and added security. It's a blast around the track too. Different strokes I guess, but there is no wrong choice.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM
midwest
Instructor

Originally Posted by docfink
All your choices are great. I prefer the C4S for its big rear, it's heavier but lively steering, and added security. It's a blast around the track too. Different strokes I guess, but there is no wrong choice.
Would the turbo be more fun than the c4s? Anyone else think the turbo is too... Cluttered ... With the spoiler and rear inlets?

Which color looks best on it?

Agree on c4s looks
Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
midwest
Instructor

[QUOTE=winkingchef;8441901]I live in SF, go to Tahoe regularly and own a C4S cab. (so my answere is very relevant)
I drove to Tahoe this weekend for boarding, but on dry roads. I used summer performance tires (my excellent Bridgestone RE-11's).
In snow, I usually drive up in my Volkswagen in All-Season Tires
I also wouldn't drive around the Bay in all season tires just for 4 trips a winter - you lose a lot of the experience if you don't have proper performance
/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yes, very relevant. Have an awd Mercedes that the wife uses. Just in case we go up separately. I was thinking an Audi or cayenne, but maybe just rent something on the odd day.

So the c4s works great on rainy winter days?

Would you rather have the turbo?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest
I am going to get a used cabriolet for a daily driver.

Advice on which? It will be a manual transmission.

I love the looks of the wider hips on the turbo, c4 and the gts (not thinking of gts as want used). I don't mind paying extra for the turbo... but I really dislike the look of the spoiler and the rear inlets on the turbo cab.

I am not sure I want awd, though perhaps I would drive it in the Tahoe mountains occasionally to go skiing (basically you need awd and 4 season tires to get through chain control without putting on chains). Most of the time, rainy weather not cold in the winter in northern california so probably would chose high performance 3 season tires instead... (my other solution is to get a used audi or cayenne).

Is the later engine worth getting over the earlier cars?

Is the awd a big enough hit to fun driving to negate it? Is the turbo feel good enough to overcome the looks?

Any more pros/cons?

A lot of driving in San francisco, on the highways there, etc. No track use. I don't really care what others think of me when they see the car, though the turbo does look a little boy racerish and I don't like that. (love the looks of my 993tt though and even the 993 cab). Is there a good color to hide all of that on the turbo?

Help! Thanks. I just won't be able to compare the 3 models before deciding.
I own a C4S and I advise it as the best option for your purposes, specially if you want to travel in snow. However, do NOT use all-season if you planned to drive it in snow. Do a proper Winter tire and you'd be happier in both dry, wet/snow during winter months.

997.2 AWD cars are a bit heavier, have less of a feel of raw 911s, and their steering feel is definitely different than RWD ones... 997.1 C4S feel is A LOT closer to RWD. The .2 AWD however is BETTER in slippery conditions and although I haven't driven it in snow, I assume it'd be better than .1 AWD which I've driven fine in snow (with winter tires). How much better? I have no idea.... To me .1 better feel wins over a bit better AWD.

Turbo is great too, if you don't like the looks, then skip it, I also think the added extra Torque is more of a liability in slipper/snow conditions. I've found the biggest issue with snow driving in 997.1 C4S was the power/torque of the engine. You had to be very soft with throttle not to slip, and that's in a car with a lot less Torque than turbo!

Just make sure you TEST DRIVE before you make a decision.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I live in SF, go to Tahoe regularly and own a C4S cab. (so my answere is very relevant)
In snow, I usually drive up in my Volkswagen in All-Season Tires
I also wouldn't drive around the Bay in all season tires just for 4 trips a winter - you lose a lot of the experience if you don't have proper performance
Thanks. Yes, very relevant. Have an awd Mercedes that the wife uses. Just in case we go up separately. I was thinking an Audi or cayenne, but maybe just rent something on the odd day.

So the c4s works great on rainy winter days?

Would you rather have the turbo?

Thanks
I would go with the rental for the odd day when you and your wife drive to Tahoe separately.
In that case, I would go for a regular C2S for tooling around town or the GTS you mentioned. Both are lighter, cheaper and great in the rain. 997s in general are VERY curvaceous compared to the 993 that you are used to - the widebody effect of the 4S is less pronounced in the 997 series than it was in 993.

I am absolutely with you on the Turbo looks. I find it rather gauche. In fact, this is why I still have doubts about my dream car, the GT3. I am fine with the tiny bit greater harshness, but I really don't like that spoiler.

Color is your call. I think you and I are similar in taste and I would recommend Slate Grey if you can find it (rather rare) or one of the darker colors like Meteor Grey (almost as good but fewer color components), Macadamia, Midnight or Cobalt Blue (I am not a blue car person) one of the silvers or white (very classic Porsche color which looks MUCH better with 997 than 993 because the "face" has fewer unsightly lines). To my taste, black is too flash when polished and too obviously dirty when not.

P.S. Mine is a C4S because I bought it used (fewer choices) and got a hell of a deal. I also fell in love with Slate Grey Metallic as it is a very deep and rich grey without being flash.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Would the turbo be more fun than the c4s? Anyone else think the turbo is too... Cluttered ... With the spoiler and rear inlets?

Which color looks best on it?

Agree on c4s looks
More power is always more fun, right? Looks are subjective. I prefer a GT3 to a turbo, if I had a choice, but I love the smooth, wide flanks of the C4S.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
midwest
Instructor

Still between the c4s and the turbo - both cabs and both manuals (I think).

I agree on the darker gray colors, dark blue. Love the natural leather interiors, or a black.

I just wish the turbo didn't have those inlets and the spoiler... if true, alas, problem solved then as I am willing to pay for more performance!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
winkingchef
Pro

C4S will sound better and be a more classic shape, especially if you consider a Targa 4S.
Turbo will make your 993 seem a bit slow, but will be more "appliance-like".
People also complain about the exhaust noise of the Turbo.

I don't think 993 Turbo/997 Turbo Cab sounds like a good pair.
I'd go with the Targa 4S in a dark color and the 993 Turbo.

...or just trade me your 993 Turbo for my 997 C4S cab.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
midwest
Instructor

Well, my 993tt is in a different city...( along with a '56 speedster keeping it company)

I just want a cab.

I do want a targa but a soft rear window S. Anyone?

The cab needs to be my daily and live on the street (safe though)

Quick Reply: 997 cab - turbo, c4 or c2??