Sponsored by:

OT: Sad direction in car design

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
awai08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendo
personally, i love my PDK because it allows me to focus more on the line, throttle and braking in addition to adding performance. that's just me, it's not for everybody. i'd just rather focus more on the car being in the right place at the right time and at the appropriate velocity. my 'experience' in the car does not suffer.
Indeed. While dwelling in my rant about econoboxes and lack of technological progress, I do admit that the dual-clutch gearbox is one major highlight, even if "just" evolutionary, in the last ten years. My next P-car will be PDK. I'm a believer also.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a big fan of technology. I love the technological wizardry that lets me drive cars with literal superhuman performance. PDK and traction control that automatically does magic like one-wheel braking can give performance far and above what's possible with manual human control. It doesn't mean the gadget-filled car is worse, it just means you have to drive it differently to take advantage of all it gives you. Go ahead, shift in mid-corner, it's OK, technology lets you do that now AND maintain control AND get the gear your need right when you need it! Go ahead, drive to 11/10ths; if you did it right, your car will magically dial that right down to 10/10ths for you. Don't bitch about how the nannies get in the way. Learn to use them to your advantage.

Poignant crash test video here comparing a '59 Chevy with a '09 Chevy showing how far safety has come in the last 50 years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptU...layer_embedded
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
s2000 and mx5 are some of the best cars designed in the last 30 years.
Sure if you are no taller than a midget!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Folks,

I was sad by BMW's news about the i3 and i8 direction today. The thing that bothered me the most was: "breaking with the acceleration pedal".

I just can't imagine the sports driving experience in the absence of combustion engine, gears, or break pedal.

I am typically not resistant to change but I am having some trouble with this direction. Perahps it will be different once I drive a car like that in the future.

In the last two weeks, I've been in two rentals: a Prius and a Nissan Versa. Both were good reminders that I really appreciate the driving "feel" and experience.

Thoughts?

-T

Sorry, what is i3 and i8 are gonna be like? I couldn't find much info on it.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably not all that relevant to your point but you're aware that the 59 belair had no engine in it, right? The belair would've faired better had that been the case. I'm not making the point that it's safer than a modern car but this video isn't 100% open and truthful.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I really believe that we are in a bit of rennaisance right now with cars and it will go down hill from here.

Energy costs, safety enforcement and the further emergence of technology will eventually drive us completely out of the driver's seat.

We'll all be rolling around in driverless individual transportation devices controlled by technology to eliminate accidents while delivering us efficiently to our destination.

Actual driving will only take place on private roads and tracks. Like the horseback riding example.

Give it 20 years or less.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
IMO the Japanese are the ones who really understand the two different roles of cars. Sure they make the Prius and all that junk, but they also make the Miata and the S2000 and the RX8, which are real raw hands-on mechanical sports cars with "driving pleasure".
used to make?
neither are in production to the best of my knowledge.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here are a couple of i3 references: http://www.bmw-i-usa.com/en_us/bmw-i3/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._cars-car_news

Can you imagine driving with no break pedal? I'm Ok with that at Disney Land but not when driving around town!!!

-T
Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpenta
Here are a couple of i3 references: http://www.bmw-i-usa.com/en_us/bmw-i3/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._cars-car_news

Can you imagine driving with no break pedal? I'm Ok with that at Disney Land but not when driving around town!!!

-T
They're just referring to the electric equivalent of engine braking. There's still a conventional brake pedal and brake system. A Tesla Roadster is similarly calibrated to recover a large amount of energy when you lift of the accelerator. There's so much engine braking effect it feels like the car is powered by an enormous AMG V8.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zanwar
They're just referring to the electric equivalent of engine braking. There's still a conventional brake pedal and brake system. A Tesla Roadster is similarly calibrated to recover a large amount of energy when you lift of the accelerator. There's so much engine braking effect it feels like the car is powered by an enormous AMG V8.
Yep, that's good for Disney Land!

-T
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Carrara
Instructor

Notice everyday, Porsches, Audis, and VWs are looking better (the Golf R is absolutely gorgeous!), and everyday Mercedes Benzs, and BMWs are getting uglier (WAY too many sharp styling lines; all of their new cars already look dated).
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Sure if you are no taller than a midget!
I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs, and I fit in the miata fine. How many have you driven?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

BRAKE pedal! Argh....
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
used to make?
neither are in production to the best of my knowledge.
S2000 no, RX8 yes.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This must not be the "where the hell are the flying cars already?" crowd.

Looks to me like BMW is just trying to be in business 20 years from now. The horse riding example brings to mind that anecdote about the buggy whip maker who went out of business as automobiles became mainstream - failing to realize that he was in the transportation business rather than the buggy whip business.

Historically what I notice about transportation equipment is that there has always been a version made for fun and pleasure, regardless of the times - while it may be different - and most likely will be - than today's version, I suspect there will still be products that meet that fun factor need.

Quick Reply: OT: Sad direction in car design