Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review from first P-car experience on track (VIR)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011 | 06:42 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Nice write up!

Originally Posted by whayes
One thing that caused me to hesitate was when exiting the turns the front felt light and the rear felt like it might break off at any time (twice the psm shut it down).....I think i just need to get used to that.
Coming from an M powered 3 series (great cars), i bet she felt light in the front . In time I think you will find that you will learn to drive the rear wheels. That is, the focus will move from what the fronts are telling you to how the rears feel, what grip they have, the line they like, and how you can adjust the cars attitude while turning thru them. You will also learn to trust the grip. Once truly there, the 911 platform turns fun ...
Old 04-03-2011 | 10:46 PM
whayes
Instructor

I appreciate all the feedback. I am back to VIR May 26th...with a group out of Tenn called Reelzoom.

Anyone run the Toyo R888's? Those may be next for me....

Also any guys in DC area? There is a great cars/coffee in Great Falls VA that starts soon...

Cheers
Old 04-03-2011 | 11:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Anyone run the Toyo R888's? Those may be next for me....

Cheers
Look into Nitto NT-01's instead of the R888's. Cheaper, last longer, and probably better throughout their tread/HC life.
Old 04-04-2011 | 12:29 PM
whayes
Instructor

I love the NT01's had them on my other car but it didnt look like they had any of the right sizes?
Old 04-04-2011 | 08:36 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

I've run the Toyo RA1s in 245/40 and 305/35 18" for the track. Great tires (do a search re same/how best to use or PM me). Hard to find right now.

The Triple8s get a lot of bad press (do a search, esp on the Racing/DE forum or the GT3 forums). However, for example, mdrums here has used same and has had no problem going fast. Never used the Triple8s so I cannot speak personally but the Internet opinion seems to be they heat cycle out before fully used up tread wise.

The thing with the RA1s is they wear like iron and stay good until corded so they are a good value. I spoke with Toyo. The RA1s are not discontinued in our sizing as is the popular opinion. They are all gone tho and the next mfging cycle must start b/f we see same stateside. Given the "wave" and the lack of raw materials worldwide, there is no known time frame.

I am going to run the following combo in the NT01s next: 245/40 and 315/30. There are some opinions out there that the diameter of this sizing are wrong for the 997.2, that the car wants fronts smaller than the rears, and that the same will mess up the ABS, etc. I have asked some very knowledgeable guys I trust who have advised that these will work fine, and that so long as the diameter is within 4% either way there are no ill effects.

I have one more event from the RA1s probably and the Nittos are stacked in the garage so I will advise (assuming I dont stuff it into a wall as a result ).

As you know, none of the tires above are the 'fastest' option, but given the 'prize money' involved ...
Old 04-04-2011 | 09:19 PM
whayes
Instructor

What wheels are you running with the Nitto set up?
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Please keep me posted about the Nitto set up with the smaller rear diameter than the front.
thanks!

Originally Posted by cello
I've run the Toyo RA1s in 245/40 and 305/35 18" for the track. Great tires (do a search re same/how best to use or PM me). Hard to find right now.

The Triple8s get a lot of bad press (do a search, esp on the Racing/DE forum or the GT3 forums). However, for example, mdrums here has used same and has had no problem going fast. Never used the Triple8s so I cannot speak personally but the Internet opinion seems to be they heat cycle out before fully used up tread wise.

The thing with the RA1s is they wear like iron and stay good until corded so they are a good value. I spoke with Toyo. The RA1s are not discontinued in our sizing as is the popular opinion. They are all gone tho and the next mfging cycle must start b/f we see same stateside. Given the "wave" and the lack of raw materials worldwide, there is no known time frame.

I am going to run the following combo in the NT01s next: 245/40 and 315/30. There are some opinions out there that the diameter of this sizing are wrong for the 997.2, that the car wants fronts smaller than the rears, and that the same will mess up the ABS, etc. I have asked some very knowledgeable guys I trust who have advised that these will work fine, and that so long as the diameter is within 4% either way there are no ill effects.

I have one more event from the RA1s probably and the Nittos are stacked in the garage so I will advise (assuming I dont stuff it into a wall as a result ).

As you know, none of the tires above are the 'fastest' option, but given the 'prize money' involved ...
Old 04-05-2011 | 09:12 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

What wheels are you running with the Nitto set up?
OZ Alleggerita 18", painted black. Got them from Damon @ TireRack, a good guy, who often posts here (same username I think) - http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...=Black+Painted

Mike - will do..
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:23 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcouture

- 39 PSI seems a tad high, I normally run around 34F 36R and that works for me. If you do a lot of tracking, track wheels/tires may be better and cheaper in the long run since PS2's are crazy expensive. You might want to look into that.
- The factory alignment specs are really not that good for the track, you might want to try to max out the negative camber on the front wheels and/or maybe get some adjustable LCA's; I run about -2.3F and -1.9R on RSS LCA's but YMMV, do a search here in the forums, there is a lot of info about this.

T.
The above is very good advise. Search the forum you will find lots of info. Just be prepared for a bit of irregular tire wear. In any event, if you are a track junkie, tires are really a consumable item.

I have read impressive things about the new Michelin super sport, which is supposed to combine the ps2 and the cup tires... However I have also read that there are cheaper tire alternatives.

Good luck - post that vid!
Old 04-05-2011 | 04:28 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

I don't track the 997, but exclusvely track the 996 GT3. It took about 5-10 DE days to get the front alignment "correct", and I put in excessvie negative camber (>-3) and some toe in. I actually needed to rotate the shock towers to get the greater than 2.3 degree neg camber.. Anyway, I run Michelin Sport Cups and find the wear to now be truly even. I heat cycle out faster than wear out rubber (20-25 minute run groups)!

Definitely play around with camber and toe-in and experiment with tires. I run Pagid pads with SRF fluid and they have been solid. It'll take some time, but once set up properly - the "turnin" will be sublime!

Enjoy!
-B

Quick Reply: Review from first P-car experience on track (VIR)