Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering First DE, Please HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
curare78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering First DE, Please HELP!!!!!!

I just bought my first P-car 2 weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever purchased. I am considering signing up for a couple of DE's but I am worried about damaging my car. Yes, it's a 2006 but it only has 16500 miles (had I already put 800 miles on it) and it looks brand new. The full leather is so delicate and the exteior paint is almost flawless. Just worried about ruining my new toy. Could any of you comment on your experence with DE's in this regard?

Thank you
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

you will be running in green group, with instructor and will have little to none practical chances to do anything damaging. but stuff may happen, cars may spill coolant ahead of you plus there is a typical practical approach of never to bring to a track a car you cannot afford to leave on a track, so, decide for yourself.

i drove on a track almost a decade ago, then after i got p-car i did 2 full seasons of autocross just to start feeling this car as it is very different from what i used to before, last season i started doing PCA DEs on it, saw some wrecks, but you know, it is not all that scary.
no one knows how good of a driver are you and what is your level of comfort. if you want to learn car control in safest environments - sign for AX events instead of DEs and do some AX schools like Evo school BMW club organizes.

But I think you will be perfectly fine with green group drivers at PCA DEs. It is very safe there and instructors are usually quite aware of whom they assist.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up +1

I agree with Utkinpol...I just did my first DE two weeks ago, and it was great. I will be going again in May. My tires will get beaten up, but the car is for driving, not being seen in or looking at...I saw three cars go off track, one getting totaled, which surprised me.

You'll be in the green group and have an instructor. Hell, people in the blue and white groups can have instructors give pointers. Drive within your limit--the car is way beyond us at this point, and you'll be limited by its stock suspension and tires. Don't get angry or embarrassed when that 135i or S2000 passes you, because they will. Learn your car and have fun.

Go for the two-day DE. You'll improve so much that the second day is great.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM
int90
Intermediate

Get a nose mask, and maybe tape your lights. You can get a few rock chips if you tail someone closely, but then there's no reason to do so since it's not a race.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
racer
Drifting

Just do it! Put a good coat of wax on it if worried about chips.. and many run a "clear bra" type protection.. others mask it with blue painters tape.. others don't worry about the chips.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You keeping this car forever???...is it a collectors itme where only a few were made???? No...well then go use it and enjoy it and really learn how to drive it.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you prepared to waste your tires, get chips on your new car, and are prepared to accept the fact that there is a CHANCE that you will wreck your car? (Or someone else will)

If it's DE you want why not just go to a school that lets you abuse their cars?

Point - Counterpoint eh mdrums?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Just do it! Put a good coat of wax on it if worried about chips.. and many run a "clear bra" type protection.. others mask it with blue painters tape.. others don't worry about the chips.
What is wax?

Dont preserve your car for someone else.......a good track car has a special patina
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Izzone
What is wax?
I don't really know myself.. but all those "concours" and "detail" guys always talk about it like its some awesome stuff!

x2 on "track patina".. i'd pay more for a car with some
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
curare78
Intermediate

I agree with all of you. I have driven my car in the rain and even light snow so far, but it's my first sports car and it's so new (to me) just don't want o F..ck it up. On the other hand I don't want to have a garage queen, my father has 7 or 8 ferrari's and he puts something like 3 to 6 hundred miles a year on them. That never made any sense to me but like I said just enjoying my car for right now. Maybe I will enjoy it like it is this summer and track her next season. Who know?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I use a special rubber blend wax
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
racer
Drifting

curare78.. you've waited lon enough to find your 997, don't wait any longer to go try a DE event!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't drive outside your "comfort zone" and you should be fine. As your instructor will tell you (or should tell you), DE is not about being fast. It's about learning "the line" and being smooth. You have to start out slow before you can become fast.

Warning: DE can become highly addictive!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Are you prepared to waste your tires, get chips on your new car, and are prepared to accept the fact that there is a CHANCE that you will wreck your car? (Or someone else will)

If it's DE you want why not just go to a school that lets you abuse their cars?

Point - Counterpoint eh mdrums?
Ya gotta pay to play...but to actually back up your point I HIGHLY recommend the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham AL. Drive the schools 997's and drive the same track the Inday cars and Rolex Grand Am cars race on plus be instructed by the absolute BEST instructors money can buy!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you could Ferris Bueller one of these 7 or 8 Ferraris onto the track? Then damaging the Porsche would be a moot point.

Quick Reply: Considering First DE, Please HELP!!!!!!