Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering First DE, Please HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Give it a go! I'm amazed at the number of people who buy sports cars and never get to use them in the manner for which they were designed.

Try it once. If you hate it or fear too much for the car, pack it up and head home. You're out $150 and no harm done.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
curare78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobbybailey maybe I could just drive your GT3 on the track and then it would be a mute point!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to all the others who gave me good advice. I think I may just take the first step and sign up for a DE, I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

I feel your pain. I bought my car about 18 months ago and haven't done a DE either. I've done a few AX & even the local PCA AX class. It was great and I learned a ton about myself and the car. I figured it would be a good starting point. I was about to do the upcoming DE event but passed because of a few reasons. The main one being I was nervous and since it's the first one of the season I figured it would be packed. I've decoded to delay the decision until the next one where the weather should be a little better as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

You're nuts if you own a Porsche and don't take it to the track.

Going to the track in my Carrera S made me buy a GT3. I think a crack habit may be cheaper. More damaging and not as fun though.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can remember way back to when I did my first DE 13 years ago and I understand your apprehension. I got hooked immediately and became determined to learn to drive my 964 to the best of my ability and eventually went to school and became an instructor. I recommend you visit a DE and check it out if you are unsure. Ask lots of questions and get a ride with an instructor. I recommend programs which incorporate the skid pad - it gets your car dirty but teaches you car control in a safe environment. For this reason I spend quite a bit of time at Summit Point in West Virginia as they have a dedicated skid pad and another skid pad which is used by many of the schools.

Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curare78
Bobbybailey maybe I could just drive your GT3 on the track and then it would be a mute point!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to all the others who gave me good advice. I think I may just take the first step and sign up for a DE, I will let you know how it goes.
Putnam Park, June 10 - 12. Or come to Louisville anytime. You can crash on my couch and rag out my car! Just keep it shiny side up and the headlights in front of you. Also, watch out for speedbumps, the GT3 hates speedbumps.

Point is this, it's just a car man. Neither of our cars are museum pieces and in a couple years, much to chagrin of our wives/significant others, we trade it in on a newer, more badass one.

You won't be lying on your deathbed saying, "Darn it, that rock chip on the bumper, that's where it all went wrong"

As Albert Camus puts it, "“If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life”
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you need to say what the f**k...this is one of those times.

My experience with 15 or so DE events suggests there's a greater risk in driving to and from the track as compared to driving on the track, especially in the novice run groups. Everyone will have an instructor in the car and will be required to sit in at least two classroom sessions that are focused on safety first. Passing on the track will require a point-by.

So buy a roll of racing tape and cover up your front end. Go to the tech session to get your car signed off and network with the club racing guys doing the inspections. Search rennlist and figure out what to bring to the DE (helmet, neck collar, tire gauge, water, windex, paper towels) and, most importantly, a positive attitude.

You and your car will be fine and I believe you'll leave the event exhausted with a ****-eating grin on your face. Go for it!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
Don't drive outside your "comfort zone" and you should be fine. As your instructor will tell you (or should tell you), DE is not about being fast. It's about learning "the line" and being smooth. You have to start out slow before you can become fast.
key is to be able to work on your objectives and to understand what is not working at any moment of time. if you will sit in your 'comfort zone' 100% you will learn nothing. if you will leave your comfort zone too far - you may crash. so, try to find a good compromise and have fun.

I also recommend to get and read those:

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-...1403454&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-High-P...2&sr=8-2-fkmr0
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remember, it's just a car... All of my Porsches have been properly exercised at DE. 30 days old (just enough to get break-in miles and then fluid changes) for both my brand new 997.1 and 997.2 and they were out there having fun. I've got a $699 Xpel front end (bumper, mirrors, hood, etc.) and not a scratch. Worried? Then get Clear Bra or equal. Not worried, just get out there and drive. No more risk than taking it on the highway in fact the tracks sweep / blow before anyone drives in the AM and cleans up if somebody goes off.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I feel your pain. I bought my car about 18 months ago and haven't done a DE either. I've done a few AX & even the local PCA AX class. It was great and I learned a ton about myself and the car. I figured it would be a good starting point. I was about to do the upcoming DE event but passed because of a few reasons. The main one being I was nervous and since it's the first one of the season I figured it would be packed. I've decoded to delay the decision until the next one where the weather should be a little better as well.
i do not think there is a reason to be nervous - nothing of DE is arbitrarily dangerous. it is just not a place where you can do too many mistakes, usually due to lack of space to spin out safely.

I honestly believe that at least 20 or so AX event prior to first DE will do a lot of good to anybody as it will teach of when car spins out, how to deal with throttle in a turn, how not to overbrake into corner entrance, how to preload front before corner to establish required level of grip, how to 'feel' car overall.
some say it can also bring up a load of some bad habits - like too much jerkiness with steering inputs as you get used to 'throw' car into next turn instead of smoothly transition it but it should be manageable to overcome with time.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Skibum
Banned

UTK.. Make any decision on Lime Rock this Fri?
Weather looks worse than it did yesterday.

Regarding DE... I did my DE in a Formula ford at Lime Rock. Not a care in the world about taking it to the limit.

Also, if you drive your own car, you wont know where the limit is until you take it a bit over... My nightmare is after the big bend at Lime Rock where you setup for the left. I've seen way too many cars get familiar with the inside barrier there.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skibum
UTK.. Make any decision on Lime Rock this Fri?
Weather looks worse than it did yesterday.

Regarding DE... I did my DE in a Formula ford at Lime Rock. Not a care in the world about taking it to the limit.

Also, if you drive your own car, you wont know where the limit is until you take it a bit over... My nightmare is after the big bend at Lime Rock where you setup for the left. I've seen way too many cars get familiar with the inside barrier there.
I do not know about Friday. Will wait until they will update forecast - it is not clear yet of how bad of noreaster we speak about here and how much snow/rain will it bring. one way or another it is non-refundable now, so if I will not go I will loose my money, what I hate to do, but I am mostly concerned of how I will be able to do 2.5 hr drive starting 4am in night in snow/rain noreaster conditions as I do like DEs but I am not suicidal yet.

Of Lime Rock - I would be much more concerned about after downhill section as it is way more dangerous imho as you will try to go flat out there and it is very easy to loose it and spin at high speed into right wall at straight. lefthander is a slow turn, it is all about sliding control there, plus, people usually spin out just because they do not feel when it is too late to keep trying to steer car back into the line after they missed it bad instead of giving it up and slowing down off-line, it is exactly where AX spinal cord reflexes should have saved their behind.
but, as with any theoretical forum chat, it is worth nothing here until you get on a track and experience it i use rFactor simulator and just drive in it from time to time to refresh my memory before events, it is an quite imperfect way but it at least keeps most surprises out.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by curare78
I just bought my first P-car 2 weeks ago. It is the best thing I have ever purchased. I am considering signing up for a couple of DE's but I am worried about damaging my car.
So I cannot comment on the actual DE events, as I've not done them as the cost is prohibitive for me to insure the new 997 + fees and helmet.

But I can comment on the concern you are feeling.

1: own and drive the new car for a few months and have it become your normal ride.. rather than that brand new car you just purchased. It takes some time for that transition to happen but once it does, you will be a lot less stressed about a possible ding in the car.

1.b: if it helps, go put a small ding in the car yourself now and get it over with. its inevitable.. you will get a scratch or ding somewhere.

2: Do a skills day first. its the less serious, and safer way to have fun and get a feel of your new car on the edges. Its no DE track day, but it will show you how far you can go to brake, what breaking it loose feels like, etc.

3: THEN after a while, consider the DEs. Rent a helmet the first time... since the equipment isn't cheap. Though the 2010 helmets are just now coming out so you should be good for 10 years before having to boy the 2020 helmets. Follow the other posters advice re DEs.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

A few months ago I watched a former student of mine (I was his instructor at the first event he'd ever done!) become an instructor after several years of track events. He was apprehensive at first also...

It's great fun and I think the abilities of these cars are the best justification to have one. What better place to explore their limits and learn how to drive them than on track! PCA is a fantastic organization to start with. Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

I remember when I first tracked my 996 cabrio and how guilty I felt. Then I purchased a 997 Cabrio and the first time I tracked it I felt equally guilty in subjecting the car to that punishment. However, I quickly got over those feelings only to become a track junkie. I followed this up with the purchase of an 07 GT3RS which I use just for track events, mind you, the RS cost me a great deal more money. I simply no longer worry about tracking my cars, enjoying a sports car for what its designed for is living life to its full enjoyment. Its only a car.

Quick Reply: Considering First DE, Please HELP!!!!!!