Sponsored by:

PDK 1st Gear and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK 1st Gear and autocross

Does anybody autocross a PDK car?

One of the few things I don't like about the 997.1 manual is what the engine does in low speed corners, like 30 mph and less. 2nd gear is so wide, that below 30 mph you get down into low revs, and the engine just doesn't have much power down there.

You could try to grab 1st gear, but the 1st gear is so notchy/balky and the benefit is so small, it's unlikely you could do it smoothly enough to be worth it, so most people just stay in 2nd. (I guess another option would be slip clutch and keep the revs high)

The only time I ever feel like I'm really lacking is power is in 2nd gear below 30 mph, and I feel like I if I could grab 1st down there it would help a lot.

Is the PDK 1st gear as difficult to get into as the manual? I have seen some threads about 2nd-1st gear shifts jerking and clunking in the PDK which would obviously be bad mid corner.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Is the PDK 1st gear as difficult to get into as the manual?.
No PDK here, but doesn't it work just like any other automated gearbox when it comes to gear selection? Don't you just push a button or pull a lever and, rpm permitting, the rest is done for you? What do you mean "difficult to get into gear" on a PDK?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
What do you mean "difficult to get into gear" on a PDK?
I've seen 1st gear roughness of PDK mentioned in a few places, such as :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ss-anyone.html

dunno if this would actually happen in a low speed corner scenario, hence the question.

(as an aside : I wish dealership test drives were on an autocross course; it's really hard to push a car hard enough to tell how it behaves in a normal test drive, and I feel so guilty about thrashing a car I don't own)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 PM
racer
Drifting

You could make a TIP downshift.. so you can certainly make a PDK downshift as instructed. If you are competing in AX, roughness, imho, is a secondary concern to overall speed/time.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I've autoX'd a lot with my PDK equipped C2S. I don't have any issues downshifting into 1st manually because I leave PDK in auto mode with Sport Plus engaged. Shifts are very quick and aggressive, and PDK seems to magically anticipate the right gear and never leaves me hung out to dry. Coming out of a tight turn getting on the gas hard will cause PDK to immediately downshift to 1st, if the speed is appropriate, and the car just explodes out of the corner. I can't imagine anyone short of Lewis Hamilton shifting PDK manually better than it shifts for itself, and it leaves me free to concentrate on car positioning, braking, etc.

With regard to your comment about mid corner shifts, because of the dual clutch setup there is no interuption in power delivery and PDK can shift in mid-corner without unsettling the car; another advantage.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Unless that course if VERY tight you will find that using 1st gear in an autocross is a waste of lap speeds. I know it appears counterintuitive--but try runs without dropping to 1st and compare.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the PDK 1st gear as difficult to get into as the manual? I have seen some threads about 2nd-1st gear shifts jerking and clunking in the PDK which would obviously be bad mid corner.
I saw PDK C4S car at AX - it was using all 3 gears, and i believe it was using 1st gear in sport mode at 90 corner were cars had to go to almost 5-7mph.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
cbzzoom

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Unless that course if VERY tight you will find that using 1st gear in an autocross is a waste of lap speeds. I know it appears counterintuitive--but try runs without dropping to 1st and compare.
With a manual, I agree. Hence the question about the PDK.

.. and even if it's not much faster, being able to grap 1st lets you take a much more agressive corner exit strategy for hairpins, which is more fun.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

With a manual, I agree. Hence the question about the PDK.

.. and even if it's not much faster, being able to grap 1st lets you take a much more agressive corner exit strategy for hairpins, which is more fun.
+1 There is usually no benefit to downshifting to 1st with a manual; you're more likely to lose time which is why few autoxers do it. But PDK, especially in auto mode, makes it effortless and advantageous; it's definitely faster!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

The ONLY time you will feel the PDK 2nd to 1st clunk is in Sport mode and a very slow slow slow stop...like you are rolling up to a stop light at 20mph and just dragging the brakes. You will NEVER EVER feel this at a autoX or track situation. PDK in Sport Chrono Plus mode in Drive is awesome!
Does anybody autocross a PDK car?

One of the few things I don't like about the 997.1 manual is what the engine does in low speed corners, like 30 mph and less. 2nd gear is so wide, that below 30 mph you get down into low revs, and the engine just doesn't have much power down there.

You could try to grab 1st gear, but the 1st gear is so notchy/balky and the benefit is so small, it's unlikely you could do it smoothly enough to be worth it, so most people just stay in 2nd. (I guess another option would be slip clutch and keep the revs high)

The only time I ever feel like I'm really lacking is power is in 2nd gear below 30 mph, and I feel like I if I could grab 1st down there it would help a lot.

Last edited by mdrums; 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a good question for a DE instructor. What about keeping the rpm's up and almost drifting the car in the low speed turns ? Probably eat up the tires, but it would possibly keep you closer to the power band in 2nd.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
The ONLY time you will feel the PDK 2nd to 1st clunk is in Sport mode and a very slow slow slow stop...like you are rolling up to a stop light at 20mph and just dragging the brakes.
...and only in Sport Auto mode. Manual Sport mode never exhibited the abrupt clunk. At least that was my experience when I complained about the issue. Mine got better with time, but once I switched to driving exclusively in Manual mode I never went back.

I do, however, still notice that 1st gear is much rougher in general than 2nd even in Manual mode. Much more tugging on the drivetrain. Not sure if that's normal for others with PDK, but I tend to only use 1st for quick takeoffs and stay in 2nd for most low speed driving for this reason.

I realize this has nothing to do with autocross, but thought I'd throw that out there just to share my PDK experience.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mstams
...and only in Sport Auto mode. Manual Sport mode never exhibited the abrupt clunk. At least that was my experience when I complained about the issue. Mine got better with time, but once I switched to driving exclusively in Manual mode I never went back.

I do, however, still notice that 1st gear is much rougher in general than 2nd even in Manual mode. Not sure if that's normal for others with PDK, but I tend to only use 1st for quick takeoffs and stay in 2nd for most low speed driving for this reason.

I realize this has nothing to do with autocross, but thought I'd throw that out there just to share my PDK experience.
Yes, but remember that PDK is NOT a smooth feeling regualr automatic. I have ZERO issues with PDK other than in normal automatice mode it upshifts to the higher gears way too soon for my taste. Sport mode in auto is fine.

On the track Sport Plus mode in auto is unbelievable! Speed Merchants races a PDK in Auto mode by the way!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yes, but remember that PDK is NOT a smooth feeling regualr automatic. I have ZERO issues with PDK other than in normal automatice mode it upshifts to the higher gears way too soon for my taste. Sport mode in auto is fine.
Yes. I do realize that. The additional comment I was making on my recent experience with 1st gear roughness in general was about low speed driving in Manual mode while remaining in 1st gear not about shifting out of 1st gear.

What I've noticed is quite a bit of tugging in the drivetrain while in 1st gear all through the RPM range, so I usually end up manually shifting out of 1st fairly quickly to a smoother 2nd gear when I know my speed will be remaining low.

I just wondered if anyone else had the PDK experience...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mstams
Yes. I do realize that. The additional comment I was making on my recent experience with 1st gear roughness in general was about low speed driving in Manual mode while remaining in 1st gear not about shifting out of 1st gear.

What I've noticed is quite a bit of tugging in the drivetrain while in 1st gear all through the RPM range, so I usually end up manually shifting out of 1st fairly quickly to a smoother 2nd gear when I know my speed will be remaining low.

I just wondered if anyone else had the PDK experience...
tugging in the drive train????? Not sure what you are talking about. Maybe you are feeling the clutches grab???? Remember there are clutches just like a manual.....there is NO torque converter to soften the feel.

My PDK and others I've driven work very well as a manumatic sequential transmission.

I hear or have read that some people say PDK is not as smooth as their automatic transmission car...well THANKS to Porsche this transmission DOES NOT work and feel like a automatic. I like the positive pop in the up shifts in sport modes and the ultra quick REV MATCHING down shifts...manual or auto mode PDK works beautifully. But most of all PDK is proving to be a solid workshorse transmission.

Quick Reply: PDK 1st Gear and autocross