Sponsored by:

PDK 1st Gear and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
tugging in the drive train????? Not sure what you are talking about. Maybe you are feeling the clutches grab???? Remember there are clutches just like a manual.....there is NO torque converter to soften the feel.

My PDK and others I've driven work very well as a manumatic sequential transmission.

I hear or have read that some people say PDK is not as smooth as their automatic transmission car...well THANKS to Porsche this transmission DOES NOT work and feel like a automatic. I like the positive pop in the up shifts in sport modes and the ultra quick REV MATCHING down shifts...manual or auto mode PDK works beautifully. But most of all PDK is proving to be a solid workshorse transmission.
+100
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tugging in the drive train????? Not sure what you are talking about. Maybe you are feeling the clutches grab???? Remember there are clutches just like a manual.....there is NO torque converter to soften the feel.

My PDK and others I've driven work very well as a manumatic sequential transmission.

I hear or have read that some people say PDK is not as smooth as their automatic transmission car...well THANKS to Porsche this transmission DOES NOT work and feel like a automatic. I like the positive pop in the up shifts in sport modes and the ultra quick REV MATCHING down shifts...manual or auto mode PDK works beautifully. But most of all PDK is proving to be a solid workshorse transmission.
No. I definitely understand the differences, and I'm not comparing to an automatic transmission. In fact, I'm not even talking about shifting here at all.

My observation has been that in Manual mode accelerating throughout the power band (mid and upper RPM's, not low RPM's where clutching may come into play) remaining in 1st gear drives for me much rougher than other gears. 2nd gear or higher are much smoother, so I tend to short shift earlier than I would prefer. I was just curious of anyone else has the same Manual mode PDK experience. I hope that clarifies what I'm asking.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mstams
No. I definitely understand the differences, and I'm not comparing to an automatic transmission. In fact, I'm not even talking about shifting here at all.

My observation has been that in Manual mode accelerating throughout the power band (mid and upper RPM's, not low RPM's where clutching may come into play) remaining in 1st gear drives for me much rougher than other gears. 2nd gear or higher are much smoother, so I tend to short shift earlier than I would prefer. I was just curious of anyone else has the same Manual mode PDK experience. I hope that clarifies what I'm asking.
Hummm...it's a sports car and it does shift sporty....either in auto or manual. My wife does say that when she drive the car she likes it in auto sport mode but the accellerator is touchy in 1st gear and she jerks the car with the accellerator sometimes.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummm...it's a sports car and it does shift sporty....either in auto or manual. My wife does say that when she drive the car she likes it in auto sport mode but the accellerator is touchy in 1st gear and she jerks the car with the accellerator sometimes.
No, no, no. I'm not talking about shifting... I'm talking about staying in a single gear... 1st vs. 2nd... and I'm not talking about automatic mode.... strictly manual... To me, I can tell a noticeable difference in how smoothly the power is delivered under steady acceleration.... Not stopping and starting (clutch in play) and not mashing or releasing the throttle (driver in play)... That's all.

I don't think I'm getting anywhere with this conversation, so I'm guessing it must just be me. I was really just interested if anyone else noticed the same.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

No, no, no. I'm not talking about shifting... I'm talking about staying in a single gear... 1st vs. 2nd... and I'm not talking about automatic mode.... strictly manual... To me, I can tell a noticeable difference in how smoothly the power is delivered under steady acceleration.... Not stopping and starting (clutch in play) and not mashing or releasing the throttle (driver in play)... That's all.

I don't think I'm getting anywhere with this conversation, so I'm guessing it must just be me. I was really just interested if anyone else noticed the same.
Even when I was driving a manual, not my PDK, I didn't spend much time crawling along in first gear; once you get some momentum going it's more comfortable to shift to second to cruise along at slow speeds. From my experience, both a manual transmission and PDK in first gear are not going to be particularly smooth and the accelerator will be touchy in part because of the very low gearing. Also, because the clutching/declutching action with PDK is computer mapped and controlled it's possible that at very slow speeds it might not use as much slippage to maintain smooth action as a human would use. Engagement is likely to be more abrupt than you would be with the clutch. I actually find this to be a positive reminder that you really are dealing with clutches and a gearbox that is fundamentally a manual, not an auto slush-box.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

No biggie it's all good. Sorry I just don't understand on my end either. LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

any gear just multiplies available engine torque to the wheels.
PDK gears are: 1 -- 3.91, 2 -- 2.29, 3 -- 1.65, 4 -- 1.3

in 6 speed 1 -- 3.91, 2 -- 2.32, 3 -- 1.56, 4 -- 1.28

so naturally you feel a lot of difference on 1st gear as its multiplier is twice higher.

Quick Reply: PDK 1st Gear and autocross