Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, thanks for all of your support and opinions. Its a very complicated situation that probably goes deeper than buying the vehicle. Maybe its just my family and upbringing but my mother would be pissed when my father would purchase a new vehicle. We have been together for 4 years and we both work in some stressful long hour industries. In my defense I only see her on the weekends.

I think the 997 c2s is an amazing looking car and just beautiful, most pictures do not give it justice, maybe she will see it the same way. I actually bought the car 2 weeks ago and just received it on Tuesday. She'll get to see it this saturday when I pick her up from work!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Its a very complicated situation that probably goes deeper than buying the vehicle.
Gee, ya think?

Ok, let me see if I've got all the facts straight: Guy knows his GF hates Porsches. Guy buys one anyway without discussing it with her. Guy is afraid to tell her what he's done and hides it from her. Guy seeks advice from a bunch of strangers on an internet Porsche forum where the odds are a million to one in favor of dumping the girl vs the Porsche.

Oh yeah, definitely give her a ring. Got the makings here for a long, beautiful marriage
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

In my defense I only see her on the weekends.
you should have started with this, what that was a 'weekends only' kind of a GF.

total majority of us here are painfully 'married with children' (C) folks and other part is single non-social types. quite a mix to get good advices on healthy long-lasting relationships.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

You needed to find yourself a car gal. Someone who shares an interest in cars helps. Mine is into Mercedes, while I have always been into Porsches. Unless there is some kind of car interest then you will always have a problem with this GF.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She'll get to see it this saturday when I pick her up from work!
Can you please get this on video?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So I just purchased a 997 C2S, I am in love with this thing. Its sitting in the garage in my highrise but my gf has been down there yet. I have a m3 as well which I am trying to sell. Honestly I have had the car for 3 days and still haven't told her and I have a feeling she is going to be pissed. I have to drive to her family party on Saturday so she will know by then. No ring yet!

Worse part about it is that she hates porsches, thinks they look like a woman. Likes BMWs/Audis.

As anybody else been in this situation where they have not told there female friend about a purchase. It is my money and I work hard for it. I am assuming these things do not go over well.
if some girl who is not your wife is gonna get bent over what you choose to drive, your best bet is to find a new girl. Life is way too short to listen to that nonsense. lots more girls out there, but driving something other than what you want to drive is a waste of time.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
alan000
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a funny thread! Brings back memories of my "younger" days when I would talk incessantly about getting a Porsche with my then GF. Trust me, we did the whole finance thing, trust issue, putting family/marriage ahead of selfish purchases, etc... *Fun* times! Anyway, I think the turning point for us was when I actually saved up money to propose and have our wedding first, and THEN get the Porsche. When the time was right, my GF turned wife helped me pick out options and colors, and to top it off, she was so jealous of me enjoying my new Pcar that she went and bought one of her own!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Can you please get this on video?
+1

Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I've quickly skimmed through the 3 pages (so I may have missed it), and no one had asked for a picture of said GF? That's rare for Rennlist!
Or the car?

Pics of Car and Girlfriend now or it didn't happen.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Just tell her it has a better looking *** than her and get used to it.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

You can get a new and more improved GF with the new car! Think of it, that ex GF belonged to the M3, and the new GF should be worthy of Porsche... so if she doesn't accept, then time for a change!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Go buy her a pair of Louboutins, put them in the passenger seat. She won't care.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

True story.
I was dating a girl for a few years and drove an M3. Previous car was a 996 Cab. One evening while on the patio of a local pub a 997S Cab drove by. I mentioned to her that it was not a matter of if I was going to get a 997S but a matter of when. Her response was I would need to first make sure it made financial sense to my significant other and that we both agreed to the purchase.
Wrong answer. That relationship ended fairly quickly after that exchange.

Next girlfriend. Same situation, different answer. She said I was very successful and earned the right to get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and the only person I needed approval from was me.
Two years later I married this girl. Had her response been as the first girlfriend she would have also been gone.

For every beautiful girl out there, there is a guy tired of XXXXXX her. My suggestion to is set the ground rules up early. If you want the car, go get the car. If she has a problem with it you need to move on and find someone supportive. It's your hard earned money.

I now have two Porsche's. A 997 C4S and Cayenne Turbo S.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997C4SCab
I now have two Porsche's. A 997 C4S and Cayenne Turbo S.
And i now have 2 kids, 2 mortgages, a private school payment, a loan payment, 401k loan payment, what else... sh$t is still coming.

Hell, I just did my taxes last weekend, it kills to see how we struggle every month from paycheck to paycheck compared to our total AGI. It is just plain crazy world, and our house is not even that expensive.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

my wife didn't know about my 996 for weeks.

did the same with the 997, but she saw it on day 2....by chance.

she loved them both, and is supportive of whatever I want

if your gf doesn't like the car, I'm sure some girl will....no offense, but are you really in love with this girl?

Quick Reply: How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife