Sponsored by:

How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife

So I just purchased a 997 C2S, I am in love with this thing. Its sitting in the garage in my highrise but my gf has been down there yet. I have a m3 as well which I am trying to sell. Honestly I have had the car for 3 days and still haven't told her and I have a feeling she is going to be pissed. I have to drive to her family party on Saturday so she will know by then. No ring yet!

Worse part about it is that she hates porsches, thinks they look like a woman. Likes BMWs/Audis.

As anybody else been in this situation where they have not told there female friend about a purchase. It is my money and I work hard for it. I am assuming these things do not go over well.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

GLWT. There's always the option to get a new GF if she gives you too much guff. Just sayin.....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Sane Asylum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
GLWT. There's always the option to get a new GF if she gives you too much guff. Just sayin.....
Ditto.....Life's too short. Plenty of fish
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll bite... Are you kidding about all of this? You are hiding (temporarily) your purchase of a new car from your girlfriend? She hates Porsches, but you went ahead and bought one without her approval?

Alternatively, my wife fully supported the purchase of my various Porsches, when I first talked about my first Porsche the Cayman was new and what I was considering and she said "But Ron, since I've known you you've always talked about the Carrera - I think you should get the 911..."
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

It took me a year to get the wife to give me her 997 blessing. I had to give her my 328i to seal the deal. What are ya gonna do?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Honestly she probably wants a ring and now that I spent money on a porsche it becomes less of a possibility in her eyes. This is what I wanted since I was about 8, now I got it and its just amazing. Also she is still only a gf, plenty of fishes. I just don't understand why a woman wouldn't like a porsche, I know there are that love them, maybe I need to find one of those!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

your money, your car.. she can leave.. my gf watched me pay cash for a lotus and my cayenne and then we went to a cheap lunch and she was like "i dont get it" and my reply was "you dont have to".
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
your money, your car.. she can leave.. my gf watched me pay cash for a lotus and my cayenne and then we went to a cheap lunch and she was like "i dont get it" and my reply was "you dont have to".
+1

I have the same situations arise when I go a buy something expensive. Woman are just something else sometimes!

I do have a bunch of coworkers that applaud the purchase, they actually now have the 911 fever!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:40 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who wears the trousers!

It's your money, buy what car you want. Life is too short to worry about what other people think. If she likes BMW/Audi then tell her to go and buy one herself.

The ring is cheap but you'll be paying for it for ever
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
...she was like "i dont get it" and my reply was "you dont have to".
Excellent
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM
pengoe
Intermediate

My wife said... you're turning 40, what do you want for your birthday ?
I said... I'm not going to make a big deal about it, really.
She said... I think I should get you a Porsche.

Not much else to say :-)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can afford a porsche I'm hoping you can afford a decent ring pretty much anytime.

If you were really ready to commit to the GF I'm guessing you would've talked it over and got the GFs blessing in advance just to make her feel like you were a team though i'd hope she'd support you if you could afford the car. So if she really hates it, let her go if she wants to go.

I did talk it over with my S/O beforehand but she just told me to get whatever I want. Although she does kinda hate when I drive agressively. That's the case with any car though.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

You could be dead in a year,enjoy the car and get a new gf or marry her and pay twice.Divorce. She should be happy for you.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

To be just a little bit serious, my wife has been totally supportive of my addiction to cars in general and Porsches in particular for 35+ years. I wouldn't try to hide something like buying a new car from her. OTOH, if I had a GF who I couldn't trust to understand this important part of who I am, I'd be wondering if things were going to work out between us long term. Ok, last time I ever give relationship advice.....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I read the situation correctly, this relationship does not appear to be that serious at least on your part. However if it is and you are living together in a long term relationship with certain expectations, you are in serious sh#t. This is a major purchase that at least requires a heads up.
If that is the case, you better own up to it sooner than later and tell her you lost your head in a moment of passion and are willing to give up the car just for her. She may relent and forgive you and then make you pay for it over the next twenty years because she will never forget it. Good luck...you are a walking dead man.

Quick Reply: How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife