Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011 | 05:17 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonCT
I'll bite... Are you kidding about all of this? You are hiding (temporarily) your purchase of a new car from your girlfriend? She hates Porsches, but you went ahead and bought one without her approval?

Alternatively, my wife fully supported the purchase of my various Porsches, when I first talked about my first Porsche the Cayman was new and what I was considering and she said "But Ron, since I've known you you've always talked about the Carrera - I think you should get the 911..."
Ron, this guy has been here since 2008. I don't think he is a trolling. I think you should give yourself an infraction for insulting other members, inflamatory post, etc. Of course this is just IMHO.

To the OP: Just tell her and get it over with. Like ripping off a Band-Aid. HAHA If she is not suppotive, like others here have said, there are other fish in the sea. Of course, this is all very easy for me to say. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

A few years back when I told my wife I wanted to get a Porsche, she said "That's too much money!" I said either I get a Porsche or a BJ! She asked, "What color are you going to get?"

Old joke, but it still works!

Old 03-24-2011 | 08:58 AM
Woody
Racer

"Drama is a Choice" I like that
A wife has lots of veto power, A GF with a ring has a growing veto power. This is just a GF and only has the influence or Drama you choice to give her. That said, I would not say any of that to her : )>

I would show her the car and tell her it's the car I wanted from the age of 8 and am thrilled to have it at last. After that the Drama level is her Choice, and she will be graded.
W
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:08 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Go read the book Predatory Female, dump the GF and find someone else.

Oh, one more thing, Prenup!!!
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:08 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

I've quickly skimmed through the 3 pages (so I may have missed it), and no one had asked for a picture of said GF? That's rare for Rennlist!
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:42 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

My wife is totally supportive even after I had a serious crash at The Glen (hmmmm maybe I need to think about this one a bit more.......). Seriously. It is your money and your car. My wife and I have certain interests that we completely agree on and share. Cars etc... is not one of them but the fact that we feel that we don't need to agree on everything and that I have an independent interest is very healthy and good for our marriage. My wife is very happy that I have a passion for Porsche and PCA because I get so much joy from it.

It would be nice if you could get this sorted out before you pop the question as buying a Posche is one of the easier decisions you will have to make going forward.
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife is also supportive, she knows that it's the only thing I enjoy doing as a hobby and I'm miserable without it. That said she has given me a hard time about buying the Spyder...but only because I had to scrape together a bunch of cash over the past three months to keep the loan amount where I want it. She knew what I was doing and she was supportive but that doesn't change the fact that I was stingy for a while.

But now that the purchase is done I will make up for it by buying her something nice and she'll be fine again.

Lesson in all this is that if you're serious about this girl then you should not be worried about telling her the truth in advance. If she's not agreeable now to how you spend YOUR money I can't imagine what it will be like after marriage.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 03-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2011 | 09:55 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islandtrader
So I just purchased a 997 C2S, I am in love with this thing. Its sitting in the garage in my highrise but my gf has been down there yet. I have a m3 as well which I am trying to sell. Honestly I have had the car for 3 days and still haven't told her and I have a feeling she is going to be pissed. I have to drive to her family party on Saturday so she will know by then. No ring yet!

Worse part about it is that she hates porsches, thinks they look like a woman. Likes BMWs/Audis.

As anybody else been in this situation where they have not told there female friend about a purchase. It is my money and I work hard for it. I am assuming these things do not go over well.
perfect 'forum' advice would be - if you are already scared to 'tell' - ditch her, try to think how your life will look like when you`ll marry her.

in real life nothing is that simple. you are on your own here, try to sort it out if you feel this relationship is important for you.

my wife bought me my car - well, I found the car myself but it was her money as we save her salary and live on mine - and her blessing to get it as she saw me turning my head after 911 cars for almost an year. and i am very grateful to her for this as I would not waste that much money on a toy out of family budget. she definitely regretted it after she realized what a money sucking machine this car is, but, it is too late. now i just keep scaring her for fun with stories of how great 991 gt3 car will be.
Old 03-24-2011 | 10:03 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

OK, I'll bite on this one too... Yes, I knew OP was not a troll and had been around for a while. No, I didn't inflame, insult, etc. rather I "bit" on his request for advice on the car / GF dynamic and shared my own story. You serious or just kidding?

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Ron, this guy has been here since 2008. I don't think he is a trolling. I think you should give yourself an infraction for insulting other members, inflamatory post, etc. Of course this is just IMHO.

To the OP: Just tell her and get it over with. Like ripping off a Band-Aid. HAHA If she is not suppotive, like others here have said, there are other fish in the sea. Of course, this is all very easy for me to say. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-24-2011 | 10:04 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
My wife and I have certain interests that we completely agree on and share. Cars etc... is not one of them but the fact that we feel that we don't need to agree on everything and that I have an independent interest is very healthy and good for our marriage. My wife is very happy that I have a passion for Porsche and PCA because I get so much joy from it.
partially same here but definitely not in the area of how much time off family I can spend - but this year we opened up AX schedule, DE schedules, sat together, we agreed that I will keep most weekends open so it would be spent home, so I was given 1 AX season with NER PCA that runs on weekends and 4-6 DEs depending on weather, when those DEs are on weekdays. I am not even sure if I will 'use' them all, as strangely enough I do not want to run away from home as much as before when my younger daughter joined us, she is a bundle of joy and it is fun to spend time with her.

But I got to say, without seat time all skills go south. Still, family is more important no matter what, no doubt about that. I really envy those guys who have their whole family going with them to events - it is unlikely going to happen to me any time soon. I am trying to convince her to go with me to AX so she could try out 'our' car on a course, she is definitely interested to try but logistics with kids, necessity to facilitate in-laws to babysit, all that is a drag that puts all those plans to a halt 100% of times. But I keep hoping, may be one day...
Old 03-24-2011 | 10:57 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Its a match made in heaven - the OP and the 997 C2S, of course. As for the GF all I can say is HMMM!.

One of the first discussions I had with my GF was to explain, in case she had not noticed, that I am a car guy. That it is my money and I will buy whatever car I want, when I want. And, she CANNOT drive my cars. That this will not change whether we are together 1 year or the rest of our lives. So don't ever make this an issue in the future. The boundaries were made clear from the start.

OP - good luck with your situation.
Old 03-24-2011 | 11:03 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by islandtrader
It is my money and I work hard for it.
End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, there is something wrong if you went out and bought this car without her knowing anything. My wife has gotten sick of me talking about buying a 911 from almost the very day we first met so when I finally started shopping for one, there was nothing but support from her.

If you're having to hide these things from her now, you are not going to stay happily married long.
Old 03-24-2011 | 11:13 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

If you do not have the rapport with your GF to even tell he about your desires and decision to purchase a Porsche, what is she going to think when your request to PITB?
Old 03-24-2011 | 11:17 AM
Skibum
Banned

Time to come clean and see the result.
If the result is less than optimal, it's time to replace the GF.
Oh... Make sure that you get a full DME scan on any replacement that has mileage on her.
Old 03-24-2011 | 11:22 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rijowysock
your money, your car.. she can leave.. my gf watched me pay cash for a lotus and my cayenne and then we went to a cheap lunch and she was like "i dont get it" and my reply was "you dont have to".
Really? And you're sharing this like it's a badge of honor? If you're not exaggerating I really hope, if you ever marry, you have the good sense to have a Pre-nup in place.

Quick Reply: How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife