Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take her out to dinner in the Porsche and give her THE ring. I haven't asked anyone's permission since I was about 8. I went to the dealer and drove my Porsche home. That's when my wife found out I had a new car. I respect her and she respects me enough not to judge these types of decisions. She likes BMWs, I like Porsche-to each his own.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

i agree with the other comments out here, i have a great wife and i got my first 997 when i was 39, she supported my decision and thats what having a great gf/wife is about. I also had a z06 vette and sold that car to get this one.. This is a car not many get to own and drive in their life, so dont pass it up...
Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
+1

I have the same situations arise when I go a buy something expensive. Woman are just something else sometimes!

I do have a bunch of coworkers that applaud the purchase, they actually now have the 911 fever!
Not all women.....I have to tell you.....I was single forever (until I was 42) and in my opinion, if this is how she acts as a gf you have all the info you need to make her an ex GF....there is no way this will get better after you get married.

You must be young....30ish or this would never even be a question. She has a lot of nerve to make you feel like you can't tell her you bought a Porsche....there is nothing loving or supportive about that. If it's me she's history!

Life is short and women are many....enjoy!

Tom
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Take her out to dinner in the Porsche and give her THE ring. I haven't asked anyone's permission since I was about 8. I went to the dealer and drove my Porsche home. That's when my wife found out I had a new car. I respect her and she respects me enough not to judge these types of decisions. She likes BMWs, I like Porsche-to each his own.
Give this woman a ring....you have to be kidding....with an attitude like hers I'm going to marry her.........I don't think so..........don't give up your day job to write an advice to the lovelorn column. And you bought a Porsche without even talking to your wife....WOW....just WOW!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

You guys might have a little "seasoning" to do. Regardless of the status in the relationship, and regardless of who brings home the most jack, communications and understanding each other are paramount in my opinion...and these things breed trust or let it [slowly?] deteriorate. If your posture is that "running" is o.k., then run...she has the same right and don't be shocked and amazed when she does.

This is not relationship advice, it is about being forthright and honest with someone you care about and may want to be with. However, I am always "glad you got the car"!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Reading some of the comments helps me understand why I'm not marriage matterial

If you're in a serious relationship and the gf wants to get married then you should be at the point where you're sharing income, not my money and her money. If you've gone and blown a huge chunk of this money on a car without discussing it with the other half you're in serious trouble.

The gf is probably thinking you should be putting it into buying a house, getting married or having children. She's going to be wondering if you are serious about the whole relationship and does she want to invest any more time and effort into it. She may be okay with the idea and say we'll put the marriage off for a few years whilst you enjoy the car or have a cheap marriage depending on what's important to the two of you.

They say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. However that doesn't make for a healthy relationship.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

she was like "i dont get it" and my reply was "you dont have to".
Maybe she meant the money for the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Son, you need to get some larger attachments.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife is driving a Mazda3 she picked out without my permission and bought with my money. I applaud her for that.

I am driving a Porsche on the same basis.

She would rather take her car most of the time. That is fine with me.

She actually hates the 997 sport seats, which is also fine.

I might trade cars tomorrow, but it would be for another Porsche.

We have a great relationship.

Just do it. She will probably get over it.

ps: Women have gotten into my Porsche, just to get a look at it up close, who never cared for the BMW. If you are younger and better looking than most of the Porsche demographic, you should have no problem in that department either.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 AM
2006S
6th Gear

I purchased a Boxster, without my wife present, no problem. "I like this car", she said when I pulled into the driveway.

About a year later, I made the "mistake" of wandering into the showroom while waiting for service on the Boxster. There, gleaming under the lights, was a gorgeous Guards Red exterior, Sand Beige interior, 997S. "Take it for a spin", the salesman said.

Ninety minutes later, after negotiating the trade and settling on my price, I was signing the sales documents when my cell rang. When I told my beautiful wife that I was buying a 997s and would be a little late, her response was, "OK, so we're going to have two Porsches, now?"

You need to find a wife like mine!!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

This is WAY too funny. I TOTALLY understand. ROFL. My advise is to follow the golden, hmmm maybe not so golden but what ever, rule of "Don't create antagonism". SO DON'T TELL HER! You have the greatest justification of "she doesn't like Porsches and they look like women". Keep your new girl in the garage, tucked away, ready to rock and roll in the wee hours of the uncontested wide open spaces.
P.s. Buy the ring ASAP. If you care what she thinks it's time to commit. When the time is right, take her for a ride...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a clear warning sign. Listen to that little voice inside.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

to the OP, run!

I speak from experience
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

Drama is a CHOICE.

It's your life man. Your choice to buy the car. Own that.

If she gives you drama about a silly car? What kind of a partner would that make her when some real sh*t happens?

Show her the car. Apologize for hiding it from her ('cause that was a limp move), but never apologize for your decision to buy it. If she tries to milk you, guilt you, or get all dramatic... then you have a CHOICE.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

When I finally got my first 911 after decades of desiring it and a year after dumping the ex of 23 years, I picked it up and called the gf on the way home from the dealer - that is how you are supposed to do it. This is an important *test* to see if the gf is a keeper - you need to figure that out early on!!! My gf (now my wife) reacted well, and has put up with my p-car fetish over the years (warning - she does "work it" to get taken care of herself! Of course this started AFTER the wedding.)

To the OP, stop ***** footing around, take the gf for a drive NOW; if she brings up the ring, tell her before the ring, you have an important little test for her.

Quick Reply: How to justify 997 purchase to gf/wife