Tire wear question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear question

Hello All,
I am quite pleased that I have gone 16,000 miles on my rear PS2's N1 19's. I was planning to replace them this spring when the "queen" comes out to play after winter's hibernation. During my spring detailing yesterday I noticed that the inside edges for the rears are starting to show cord and steel. That explains the rumbling sound. My fronts are wearing completely even and have another season or two left in them. My question is should the camber be adjusted to have even wearing on the rears, or is this the nature of the beast on a 997.2? I don't want to get an unnecessary alignment if this is quite normal. I don't remember if my 993's tires had inside edge wear, but I do remember the rears only lasted about 6 thousand miles! The car handles just fine, turn in, grip, straight line stability, etc. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance...............Todd
Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

as usual - rear tires get eaten by toe, not by camber. you should not have more than 0.15 toe in rear, usual amount is something in between 0.10 and 0.15.

rear toe links should be replaced with those.
http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

as stock ones can dislocate after severe bump or even under pressure. after they dislocate toe amount efficiently changes and tires may get eaten.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Can't be 100% sure without alignment numbers but 997 wears more on the inside rears and that's normal.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Todd in PA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Can't be 100% sure without alignment numbers but 997 wears more on the inside rears and that's normal.
Thanks Alex! I was hoping you would say that. It's too bad my fronts are still pretty good as the new Michelin Supersports seem like great replacements. When this set of rears (and fronts) wear out the Supersports will most likely be my next tires.

Quick Reply: Tire wear question