911 Transmissions made in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Wow, I didn't know that!

And seriously, with all respect, this is the problem nowadays. Now folks just think that shifting is all about banging from one gear to another as fast as possibble, with the help from the computer in the shifting action like engaging/disengaging the clutch(es) and matching the rpm in milliseconds.

In a manual transmission, the clutch is a continuously variable control that we can manually & precisely control the slip bewteen the gears, so to do things that a computer control gearbox will not allow us to do. I think Andreas Preuninger says it the best:

With best regards,
There hasn't been a clutch pedal on an F1 car since 1995. I guess those guys are not real "race cars drivers", like yourself.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boolala
There hasn't been a clutch pedal on an F1 car since 1995. I guess those guys are not real "race cars drivers", like yourself.
To be honest, watching nowadays F1 races is not nearly as breathtaking as the old days.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Hopefully the PDK will make the manual obsolete so this should not be a problem.
Ha? You hope?

You got the option, if you don't like manual, DON'T BUY ONE!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:42 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Hopefully the PDK will make the manual obsolete so this should not be a problem.
The manual transmission has been obsolete way before PDK came out.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfjd
The manual transmission has been obsolete way before PDK came out.
Usually the hate comes from the manual fan side, but I guess there's the exception to the rule. I say both are perfectly good options. Pick your preference and allow others to pick the other. The primal posturing from either side is simply wrong.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Usually the hate comes from the manual fan side, but I guess there's the exception to the rule. I say both are perfectly good options. Pick your preference and allow others to pick the other. The primal posturing from either side is simply wrong.
+1
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wonder if this is the start of US style mega outsourcing. 911's assembled in Mexico for the American market..
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
+1

For me, it's not hate, but panic that manuals will no longer be offered in modern cars and the only way to get a manual transmission is to buy classic/antique cars. I love interacting with machines in an analog way. Porsche has a good thing going with the optioning you can do with their cars and, for me, I hope the manual will be one of those options for a long time. That will keep me a loyal customer.

(Shhh, don't tell the manual guys, but I went down to the P-car dealer this weekend looking to test drive a PDK'd 911. Luckily, or unluckily, for me they didn't have any. )
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
zanwar
Pro

For every manual transmission owning PDK hater, there is an insecure PDK owner who constantly needs to justify their choice of a Porsche 911 with an automatic transmission.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

And since when does F1 have anything in common with a street going vehicle? Btw, how is Porsche doing in F1? Their PDK equipped F1 car must be so fast its invisible.

Originally Posted by zanwar
For every manual transmission owning PDK hater, there is an insecure PDK owner who constantly needs to justify their choice of a Porsche 911 with an automatic transmission.
+997
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by Selo
Sheesh. No need to jump on the dude. He didn't say he didn't care about anyone over there. He's just asking.....
Plus 1
Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lack of Aisin Seiki transmissions has stoped the lines at GM for some of their trucks, I am sure Porsche is not far behind
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

1- Dual clutch and sequential transmissions has been in racing for a long time and they sure are faster than manual transmission. There is no argument there

2- What makes Porsche so great is the traditional approach to the cars. Porsche isn't trying to digitize everything like Ferrari 458 and Nissan GT-R. It still has the analogue approach where it rewards the better driver It's more about the joy you get out of driving the car, rather than going fast and leaving everything else for the car to do.

I am a manual guy, not for the shifting speed, but for the satisfaction I get when I drive my car And no, for me it wouldn't be this fun with an automatic/PDK...
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
To be honest, watching nowadays F1 races is not nearly as breathtaking as the old days.
Saw Nigel Mansell interviewed a few years ago and, snork that he is, was railing about how the auto transmissions and reliance on computerization has taken a lot of driving skill out of the F1 equation (his words, my paraphrasing).
Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zanwar, you said it! But the discussion is why we PAY for this...excellence to all!

Quick Reply: 911 Transmissions made in Japan