Sponsored by:

Dumb Rattle '07 C2

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Rattle '07 C2

The dealer said it was struts; still under warranty until next month. Replaced struts ($4,000 warranty fix). Noise still there.

I explained it and the tech took the ride with me before their diagnosis. He heard it. It is a RATTLE, not a squeaky strut/shock like thing. It sounds like a part verbing off of metal. Thanks for the struts Larson Porsche in Tacoma! 9,000 miles and those are bad?

Thanks for any input on a rattle, seemingly coming from inside the dash. It could be really difficult to find and I am not sure that I want the techs to undo my car (especially dashboard), but should not have to put up with this noise in an $80K car.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

New struts at no cost to you - Whoo hoo!!

Now tell them there is a rattle under the rear deck lid. Maybe they will give you a new engine!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 08 C2 I had this annoying rattle coming from the dash. Turns out it wasn't in the dash but from my home made tool kit that I placed in the little compartment behind the battery. Something to check if you store anything in the "frunk" compartments.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Brackman
The dealer said it was struts; still under warranty until next month. Replaced struts ($4,000 warranty fix). Noise still there.

I explained it and the tech took the ride with me before their diagnosis. He heard it. It is a RATTLE, not a squeaky strut/shock like thing. It sounds like a part verbing off of metal. Thanks for the struts Larson Porsche in Tacoma! 9,000 miles and those are bad?

Thanks for any input on a rattle, seemingly coming from inside the dash. It could be really difficult to find and I am not sure that I want the techs to undo my car (especially dashboard), but should not have to put up with this noise in an $80K car.
only good way to fight a rattle is to grab a nest mechanic from dealership and gie him a ride around with him listening - they usually able to locate it quite well and it gets done by warranty.
i fixed 2 rattles in my car like this when I just got it. now i got used to some new rattles it got and it all went into background noise, does not bother me no more. 911 is not a lexus despite its cost.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Thanks to you both. The Tech did ride with me. Frankly, that is why I was "shocked" that they replaced the struts. He is going to ride with me tomorrow, also.

John52, I fixed a secondary (worse) rattle when my son found the factory tools out of the places where they normally fit. I haven't put anything near the battery, but maybe the precious owner did. Thanks for that!!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I had a rattle that seemed to come from the dash, but it was a hard line beneath the right front wheel liner. It had slipped off its support bracket.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Thanks Dan, I am calling them now with THAT one!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

They actually replaced the cup holder module thinking that was it--but that was found to be unnecessary. Tracking down rattles is very difficult. It takes two in the car--one listening, and the other driving--looking for the roughest road he can find!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Thanks again Dan

It is over there today at 10 a.m. Pacific and they are truly an excellent dealership (Larson Porsche/Audi in Tacoma). The TEC went with me again and they are on it (Chris the TEC is taking his foreman with). It is frustrating because it is so inocuous and inconsistent, and at times just a large rattle. As an owner of course, I hear it all the time and it is not subtle in some situations, maybe even for them. Wish it luck, and I can't wait to tell the group exactly what it WAS for all to know. It would drive me crazy if persisted; not a noise to get used to.

However, there are unique things in mass-produced (6,000/year? in '07?!) or hand-built cars (Till 1998 I suppose) that crop up. That is why I joined RennList fellas.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a rattle(clicking) that could be heard going over bumps in the parking lot. It turned out to be the sway bar end link even though it wouldn't click when you grabbed it and shook it. The tech just pro-actively changed it and it solved the problem. You could feel a little play in the part after it was off the car.

Typically the first step in finding a noise would be to take everything out of the trunk and look in the battery area to see if anything if in there. Then drive it and try to note when the rattle happens- all the time? only when driving slowly?. Also you might want to note the tone of the rattle is it a clunk or a click, does it sound like a machine gun or a jackhammer, is it many clicks in a row or just one? All of this can help the tech find the problem.

please share with the group when you solve it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Brackman
Thanks to you both. The Tech did ride with me. Frankly, that is why I was "shocked" that they replaced the struts. He is going to ride with me tomorrow, also.

John52, I fixed a secondary (worse) rattle when my son found the factory tools out of the places where they normally fit. I haven't put anything near the battery, but maybe the precious owner did. Thanks for that!!
i had a very bad rattle after my son dropped some parts of his toy cars and they got under the passenger seat.
i agree, some rattles are very difficult to identify, good luck with your fight.

also right what was said above - on a stock car loose sway bar links are the first usual suspect. rattles pretty bad.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Thanks to you both about the sway bar end link. I call them with these and they appreciate the input. Still inviting ideas folks, this is very helpful to me and the dealer!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Bob Brackman
Intermediate

Hey TimK, I wasn't going to respond to that funny quirk you posted. I am going to be in N. Carolina, out of Asheville, in April....the car I will be driving is not my Porsche.

However, meet me and tell me then how to get a new engine or anything else I don't need for this car with under 9,000 miles on it. LOL to ya buddy, and I mean it; I think you are a great, funny guy!

Quick Reply: Dumb Rattle '07 C2