Heel and Toe

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb Heel and Toe

All,
A question regarding heel and toe in 997.
I find it difficult to heel and toe in 997. The gas pedal position does not seem to be optimal for my feet, I guess. I would prefer to have gas pedal face higher, such that its height would be closer to the height of brake pedal.
Any similar experience, remedies to that?
I also noticed that SRP gas pedal has a “winglet”, if you will, on brake pedal side to ease heel and toe process. I just don’t believe that’s what I would need, no firsthand experience however. It’s not the width of the pedal(s) it’s vertical location of the pedals’ surfaces that would make the difference in my opinion.
Comments welcome.
L
Old 03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search please, there are lots of threads on this already.

The short answer is that you aren't braking hard enough, that's why the gas pedal feels too high. The pedals are actually perfect for real heel & toe on the track, in which case your brake pedal should be on the floor because you are braking so hard. No aftermarket pedal mod is needed.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a common topic of discussion here on Rennlist.

Porsche designs their pedal placement to facilitate heel-toe on the track and this design means that it can be more of a challenge to heel-toe on the street because you aren't applying the brakes with the same authority that you would at speed. When you're really braking the pedals are lined up as you're expecting.

You're correct that pedal extensions don't really address this issue. It's more a matter of technique than pedal positioning. Most find that once they've "got it" in the Porsche that it becomes easy to heel-toe on the track and on the street, but it's definitely a bit trickier to sort out the nuance at street speeds.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

I heel toe mine all the time at all speeds on the street.... ive never even thought of the pedal heights.
I think its just technique.
It more a toe, and foot roll... no heel at all really.
There are some videos of this floating around somewhere
Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

search first. it was really answered before.
practice braking with your foot ball, not with whole foot on a brake pedal, heel a bit up off carpet, then when brakes are fully depressed down (not common for street driving) - rotate foot counter clockwise so heel should reach gas. if you have knee problem or whatever other reason does not make it easy for you - put on rennline extension plate on your gas pedal, it will simplify all this greatly.
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Gas...oductinfo/P71/
Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I heel toe mine all the time at all speeds on the street.... ive never even thought of the pedal heights.
I think its just technique.
It more a toe, and foot roll... no heel at all really.
There are some videos of this floating around somewhere
What he said.

Leave the heel well out of it, depress the brake with half the ball of your foot and roll the other half onto the throttle in a tidy blip. Works at any speed in any environment. And definitely a big part of the pleasure of driving these things (for us manual tranny luddites).

And remember: Practice makes perfect.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Are you kidding! Porsche is THE BEST car I've ever had in terms of pedal placement for heel/toe.

Mind you that you need to do it while braking harder to get the brake pedal closer to the gas, and then ROLL the foot, I don't really use the heel much.

PS. Only safe place to practice on the street, is to enter a highway exit at full speed (if not traffic) and do not slow down until late in the turn, brake hard and downshift while heel/toeing, you will find it's fairly easy to do!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
What he said.

Leave the heel well out of it, depress the brake with half the ball of your foot and roll the other half onto the throttle in a tidy blip. .
yeah, mine is more a big toe ball of foot brake, little toe side of foot roll to the throttle....

... of course this doesnt have the same snappy ring to it as heel-toe :-)
Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Yes, please search. This topic has been discussed numerous times and many forumers (including myself) had chipped-in tips on how to heel-toe in the 997.

Regards,
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottom line for me is:

Street - never HT, never a need to.
Track - at 99% braking the pedals line up very nicely for easy HT.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Luxter
Pro

Smile Got it!

Thank you all for the input. I didn’t realize that this subject could be such polarizing.
I went today and experimented a bit with my heel and toe technique. My observations are as follows:
Just before you start braking lift your right foot off the floor and position on brake pedal such that your toes are above the outline of the brake pedal.
Your foot will be lifted off the floor - very important.
Now if you rotate your foot counterclockwise on the brake pedal then your heel will land at the bottom of gas pedal for a good blip of gas as you double declutch.
It can be easily done for normal street driving. Saves your transmission a lot of wear and tear.
This way seems to be easier than rolling your foot from brake pedal to gas pedal which I was used to and often used in my daily driver.
The end note is to maintain constant and steady pressure (as required) on brake pedal without increasing brake force as you blip your gas pedal, that's worth practicing a bit.
Cheers,
L
Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luxter
Thank you all for the input. I didn’t realize that this subject could be such polarizing.
I went today and experimented a bit with my heel and toe technique. My observations are as follows:
Just before you start braking lift your right foot off the floor and position on brake pedal such that your toes are above the outline of the brake pedal.
Your foot will be lifted off the floor - very important.
Now if you rotate your foot counterclockwise on the brake pedal then your heel will land at the bottom of gas pedal for a good blip of gas as you double declutch.
It can be easily done for normal street driving. Saves your transmission a lot of wear and tear.
This way seems to be easier than rolling your foot from brake pedal to gas pedal which I was used to and often used in my daily driver.
The end note is to maintain constant and steady pressure (as required) on brake pedal without increasing brake force as you blip your gas pedal, that's worth practicing a bit.
Cheers,
L
Excellent, bascially everyone has to figure how best they can make it work for themselves! I sometimes do it the same way actually, specially on the street when I am not braking that hard!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Luxter
Pro

You bet Alex.
Speaking of the best placement of pedals, try Subaru WRX/STI. The pedals are child easy to H&T. Seriously. Rally heritage. Good Scheisse. Ups... pardon my German.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luxter
You bet Alex.
Speaking of the best placement of pedals, try Subaru WRX/STI. The pedals are child easy to H&T. Seriously. Rally heritage. Good Scheisse. Ups... pardon my German.
No doubt! Best Japanese car you can buy outside of Nissan GT-R!

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe