Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE vs. Tubi vs AWE... and also...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello from France now;Thanks for the input.
Re. the exhaust, I can head to a dealer here or when I get back to get an earful of the PSE on a test drive at dealership. Comparing to Tubi might be tougher - perhaps it's just a matter of seeing if it's good enough. It certainly isn't a cheap option for an improvement in sound only (no performance gains, right?)

As for having a 911 in Europe, as someone pointed out; it's not for 10 days, but 10 weeks. I spend roughly 4.5 months every year here, but also travel some while here. The cost/time/aggravation/risk of shipping is to be considered.

Maybe I should spring for another one with PSE already installed and keep it in Europe. Let me run this by my wife just for fun :-)

anyway, plenty of homework to do still, but "merci" for the replies!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BTW the dealer says the PSE weight more than stock.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
LEAKYSEALS951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, now Ive got a question. I want the most realistic air cooled 911 sound there is. All the youtube videos I see (and maybe its bad microphone quality on the videos) make a lot of the aftermarket exhaust sound like ricemobiles. I want old school 1966 2.0 liter sausage muffler 911 sound. And from my subjective youtube experience (which might not be accurate at all), the pse comes closest. I see on ebay a relatively cheap "pse" muffler where someone has modified a regular muffler into a pse setup, without the pse (on/off) feature. Does anyone have any thoughts (good or bad) on that?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

Personally I think your ears listening to each and every exhaust is the only way to properly evaluate.
For my upcoming install I'll be using a studio mike with AGC off to try and get some valid before and after sound recordings.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951
okay, now Ive got a question. I want the most realistic air cooled 911 sound there is. All the youtube videos I see (and maybe its bad microphone quality on the videos) make a lot of the aftermarket exhaust sound like ricemobiles. I want old school 1966 2.0 liter sausage muffler 911 sound. And from my subjective youtube experience (which might not be accurate at all), the pse comes closest. I see on ebay a relatively cheap "pse" muffler where someone has modified a regular muffler into a pse setup, without the pse (on/off) feature. Does anyone have any thoughts (good or bad) on that?
Search for "gundo" hack and you can do the same to your muffler, no need to buy another. I think that's what the guy has done and I'd do that instead of buying mufflers. Any good shop can do it for you for around $200-300.

Having said that... you MUST hear it for yourself. Youtube or any video can NEVER capture the sound correctly... go to a local Porsche event and try to listen to different setups to see which is to your liking.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951
The Borla and the Fabspeed have a deeper sound.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tubi on mine and it just sounds like pure sex!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I heard a 997.2 with a sport exhaust yesterday

Not inpressed at all

I have heard Tubi, much better

But I am biased.....GT3 with sharkwerks is music
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People will definitely notice you with a tubi, the cops will too!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I heard a 997.2 with a sport exhaust yesterday

Not inpressed at all

I have heard Tubi, much better

But I am biased.....GT3 with sharkwerks is music
The center muffler (actually resonance chamber) that Porsche added to the 997.2 cars doesn't help the sound at all.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

To the OP, I have the PSE and I love it. Great sound IMO, never annoying, no drone, no loss of mid-range torque, doesn't shout "hey listen to me" to every cop or passer-by, suitable for a mature adult's car, not one belonging to a racer wanna be. It's a healthy Porsche exhaust note; what you'd expect from a Porsche engineered system.

That said, pay no attention to what I say, or anyone else, about what sounds good. It's like arguing about color; what works for me might be intolerable for you. You've got to check the choices out for yourself, which understandably can be difficult given all the options out there, and everyone saying their exhaust sounds "great" which is, on the face of it, pretty unlikely. Unless you can hear the one you think you might like in person, and maybe live with it for a while, that uncertainty is what would lead me to the Porsche designed piece. YMMV. Good luck.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-12-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Thanks Mike (and others).
Finally had some time to catch-up on RL. I'm definitely going to go drive a car with PSE at dealership and see if that floats my boat. If not, we'll see later.

As for the second part of my OP, I was reading up on the 993 vs. 997 thread and perhaps that is the answer? Keep the 997 in US and have a 993 for Europe. I'm a bit worried about up to 2.5 months at a time without running it though. Is that asking for more trouble. I've not owned a 993, but it's still a 13-15 year old car sitting for possible 2.5 months at a time. No doubt I can find friends willing to take it for a spin regularly - whether or not I want to do that as well is another story!
Probably would make more sense to have the 993 in US and 997 in Europe, but that would be crazy talk :-)

Quick Reply: PSE vs. Tubi vs AWE... and also...